Ideal Road Trip Car (or how to fill the long winter evenings...)

Richard Bernau

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, SP72 said:

that would be epic - red leather... yum! Used as intended.

i am tempted by an M car but wonder if they will be special enough as an IB replacement.

You can not sell that car without doing at least one mega road trip in it @SP72 - it would be illegal and morally destitute of you! 

6 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Yup. Prob right. Only 200 rhd Spyders. Make any difference? 

Future values will also depend on their provenance and mileage at the time you want to sell.

I buy cars to use, if you want future residuals there are other brands/models to consider. 

3 minutes ago, Beaky said:

Future values will also depend on their provenance and mileage at the time you want to sell.

I buy cars to use, if you want future residuals there are other brands/models to consider. 

Yup but I’m a Porsche nut. Has to fit in with me. 

32 minutes ago, Northy said:

You can not sell that car without doing at least one mega road trip in it @SP72 - it would be illegal and morally destitute of you! 

I hear you Lewis, I change my mind every week in terms of whether it goes or stays.

Just there are lots of other cars I want to try without having £££ stuck in the IB.

1 hour ago, Northy said:

agree 911%, local drives are fun but Euro drives are fun on a whole other level

SP72 your car is perfect for this

52 minutes ago, SP72 said:

I hear you Lewis, I change my mind every week in terms of whether it goes or stays.

I'll look after it whilst to trial the others :whistling:

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Yup. Prob right. Only 200 rhd Spyders. Make any difference? 

I see nothing special about a mass produced convertible with a few 1 of 200 bits bolted to it

Maybe its just me but a GT3 is a far more exclusive 

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

I see nothing special about a mass produced convertible with a few 1 of 200 bits bolted to it

I agree, a GT3, no matter which version will always be a GT3

OK - not sure if this is in the spirit of things really and I normally hate SUV's but as long schlep comfort / good on twisties / good visibility / very quick / relatively economical, I'm attracted to this:

https://www.mattjohnsonprestigecars.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-cayenne-4-2-td-s-tiptronic-4wd-ss-5dr-barrow-in-furness-201909302775267

In fact please someone buy it before I do something stupid!

media.jpg?id=af27b570f197427e902c149bdad

5 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Bit more than that I’d say. 3.8, unique rear and roof. Unique front end. Carbon buckets etc. But I tend to agree. Gt3 is a cult classic already and prices on the up,as opposed to the other direction. 

Late to this fantastic thread - ironically finishing up a 3.3k mile euro road trip!

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

Which car do you guys think is a better long term investment? 3.8 Boxster Spyder or a 996 GT3? Similar money these days. 

996 every time. Proper motorsport engine, no driver aids, first of the breed. They have taken a little short term dip recently (as has everything) but it's not hard to see them being 100k within the next 10 years. I would say that wouldn't I?

Can I offer an alternative, the thinking man's Cayman?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/alpine/all-models/alpine-a110-1-8t-premiere-edition-dct-2dr/9954801

Interesting to hear Harry Metcalfe on the recent Collecting Cars podcast opinioning this as a breath of fresh air and a car to buy... And then immediately justifying why he hadn't taken the plunge himself!

On 10/12/2019 at 9:46 AM, sopor said:

The 981 anorak in me says no PDK on the Spyder.

And to get back on topic, sort of... this car looks lustworthy... https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1273/

I always have my suspicions raised when so-called experts like JZM write ridiculous tripe in the descriptions.  Calling a 3.0 ITB hot rod motor a torque monster betrays a complete lack of understanding for fundamental engineering basics.  Are they really the experts they like everyone to believe they are?

Nice car though.

On 10/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, Busybee said:

JZM seem to have really good high end stock but offer peanuts for px’s. I’ve enquired twice about cars but they really lowball the buyer. 

That ST recreation is lovely. Speakers in the rear footwell? Bit of painted chicken wire for an engine grill. Hmmm

The stock they have is great, but they have a lot of inflexible rules about what they will sell.  Hence the low ball trade offers.  One reason anyway.  I had my 996TT inspected for sale with them and they wanted to replace the perfectly good brake rotors with Porsche stamped ones, for example.  I declined.

Chicken wire grill.  Look closely and Daisy has a cheap Halfords wire grill.  Ooops. I am truly sorry.

BTW, some awesome suggestions emerging - apart from the red Cayenne.  Only appropriate if there is a good chance of snow on the road and skiing is involved.

I do sense a slight split between the idea of a road trip car being a good cruiser in order to get "there" and a road trip car being a car that shines once "there" and must be endured to some extent on the way.

On the snow front, yes, I know that Fraser will post pics of his IB in the snow.  And I bow to him as the IB road trip god.  In all seasons.

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

Late to this fantastic thread - ironically finishing up a 3.3k mile euro road trip!

996 every time. Proper motorsport engine, no driver aids, first of the breed. They have taken a little short term dip recently (as has everything) but it's not hard to see them being 100k within the next 10. I would say that wouldn't I?

Can I offer an alternative, the thinking man's Cayman?

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/alpine/all-models/alpine-a110-1-8t-premiere-edition-dct-2dr/9954801

Interesting to hear Harry Metcalfe on the recent Collecting Cars podcast opinioning this as a breath of fresh air and a car to buy... And then immediately justifying why he hadn't taken the plunge himself!

Nope. Those driving/fog lights on the alpine give it a snake or amphibian appearance. Looks a bit like a scooby gone wrong in that colour too. 

Yup, think the 996 gt car is the best bet at the money and it is very cool. Even more so these days. 

34 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

The stock they have is great, but they have a lot of inflexible rules about what they will sell.  Hence the low ball trade offers.  One reason anyway.  I had my 996TT inspected for sale with them and they wanted to replace the perfectly good brake rotors with Porsche stamped ones, for example.  I declined.

Chicken wire grill.  Look closely and Daisy has a cheap Halfords wire grill.  Ooops. I am truly sorry.

20% less than the we buy any car stealers is a bit much. Anyhow, there’s always a similar car out there from dealers with smaller margins or a keener interest to sell. 

Well, well, well. Chicken wire grill. Weight saving!  :yahoo:Daisy was far from 102k. I might invest in one of those spade customs grill covers like Shirish bought one day but it just might be heavier! 😱

Gurney flap. Water gets in between the tail and the flap after washing, rain etc. Trying to think of way to stop ingress, thin rubber strip on the flap? Spent the day polishing yesterday as entertainment from the rain. Thinking of ceramic coating her. She is über blingey! 

Bringing the thread back, think the 996 gt3 is probably your ultimate weapon on a road trip. Enough manners to pootle down in relative comfort. Enough venom to have some fun whilst there. 

Photo just cause I love your car Rich 👍 (my car, you know what I mean!). This and a chiropractor will do just fine 

BA29FD78-CDC1-49FE-938D-19D573D09936.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Well, you did say...;)

33EC4CC4-978B-4C60-B6C8-11F1874123CB.jpeg

Doc, you are a touring hero! Hero

3 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Haith BTW - I used to run without the gurney flap most of the time.  It creates a lot of drag.  And real downforce.   Driving in the rain with it creates a massive rooster tail, so it really does something.

I just love the gurney flap. Sets the whole rear off. As if it doesn’t scream Porsche enough 😂

996 gt3 as a stablemate. Now we’re talking 🤤