Dashboard refurb etc etc..

Godekenheerd

I’m embarking on restoring my 86’ Carrera coupe and could do with some advice. I’ve loads to do but thankfully bodyshop doing the important stuff. The car’s been in storage for many years and I have the mother of all shopping lists, starting with interior would anyone know a good firm to retrim the dashboard and rear parcel shelf which are badly out of shape where they meet the glass, a common problem I’m told.

Also sunroof is leaking and inoperable so I was given advice that it was best to have it sealed up and disconnected, I’m not particularly bothered about using it but is this done by some owners and how would I go about it?

In terms of lights. Can I upgrade the front lights to LED or just something significantly brighter than standard? I was also hoping of doing away with the rear fog lamp (under bumper) and hoped I could replace one of the reverse lamp bulbs with a red led and have the wiring changed, is this something which others do and will it prove an issue when I MOT the car?

lastly, I’m keen to fit rear seatbelts. How straight forward and costly would this be? I imagine the rear parcel shelf will then need to be a later version to take recoiled belts?

I appreciate any of your valuable advice 👍🏻

Who suggested sealing up the sunroof?  If that means removing all the components and professionally welding in a sunroof delete panel then fine, but if they meant running some sealant around the existing sunroof panel and disconnecting the motor then ignore that advice and run a mile.  The sunroof is pretty straight forward to repair and if its leaking then its either blocked drain holes or just needs new felt seals, neither of which are difficult to do.  It's a Porsche 911 not a Triumph Dolomite!

Southbound Trimmers seem to be the first port of call for interior stuff, but you might be better trying to source good secondhand parts or at least something you can rob the inner shaped panels.  

Plenty on here about LED headlights, just use the search function, although I recall most solutions are quite spendy!  Certainly a lot more than getting your sunroof fixed.

If your dash is curled up at the edge recovering won’t help as the board underneath is misshaped. Will probably need a replacement or does anyone know how to reshape / flatten it out?  My car has a leather dash and 30years of sunshine has done the same. 

14 hours ago, Nige said:

Who suggested sealing up the sunroof?  If that means removing all the components and professionally welding in a sunroof delete panel then fine, but if they meant running some sealant around the existing sunroof panel and disconnecting the motor then ignore that advice and run a mile.  The sunroof is pretty straight forward to repair and if its leaking then its either blocked drain holes or just needs new felt seals, neither of which are difficult to do.  It's a Porsche 911 not a Triumph Dolomite!

Southbound Trimmers seem to be the first port of call for interior stuff, but you might be better trying to source good secondhand parts or at least something you can rob the inner shaped panels.  

Plenty on here about LED headlights, just use the search function, although I recall most solutions are quite spendy!  Certainly a lot more than getting your sunroof fixed.

Thanks for all your advice, I’m new to IB but loving the trustworthy feedback. Lots to do but hopefully have it on the road next summer!

If the dash is vinyl & original & you want a top end refurb I would send it to Alan at Dashboard Doctor in Australia. He will rebuild, re-skin & paint it to your desired colour. I also sent the knee pads, door tops, ashtra7 to get a 100% colour match. Not as expensive as you'd think & in my opinion well worth it. He's one of only two places in the world that I found who can re-skin vinyl & they have to vacuum seal it.

Regards

Regarding the dash, might be worth contacting Thomas at Werk924. He re manufactures 924 dashboards which are made of very thin tissue paper and cheese and are therefore prone to crack if you breath on them. He may be able to rescue a 911 dash?