Jump to content
Impact Bumpers
axel

964 Side Romance

Recommended Posts

wish i'd known when I was Lancia Integrale shopping, could have got a nice minty export from Japan :cry: been a glut of them coming over lately now the Evo2's are fetching such big money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring in a few 2019 Suzuki Jimny’s They are real hens teeth cars, even the dealerships cannot get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrahamTompkins said:

Bring in a few 2019 Suzuki Jimny’s They are real hens teeth cars, even the dealerships cannot get them.

I've been following these for a couple of weeks as a winter hack (the older version) and they are crazy prices for basic little jeeps. Even a 10yr old one is 6K upwards! :blink: most have done about 70k upwards miles for a little 1.3 engine too, so probably a bit tired out. New ones do look the biz but again at a daft price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better off with a Dachia Duster

(did I just type that)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I’m not suggesting they are any good, or bad for that matter.. just that they very sought after and you can make big bucks shifting them on . They are apparently so popular in Japan that they can’t produce enough RHDs for themselves, let alone export to the UK 

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I've been following these for a couple of weeks as a winter hack (the older version) and they are crazy prices for basic little jeeps. Even a 10yr old one is 6K upwards! :blink: most have done about 70k upwards miles for a little 1.3 engine too, so probably a bit tired out. New ones do look the biz but again at a daft price.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Axel a bit left side but would be interested in a Japanese Datsun skyline c10, 110, 210 or 510sss........I know, don’t ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota FJ Cruiser for me! Still out of my price range though - sadly (over here at least) The new Jimnys look great, like mini G wagens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Boydyrs said:

Axel a bit left side but would be interested in a Japanese Datsun skyline c10, 110, 210 or 510sss........I know, don’t ask?

sure but Japanese cars in japan are not cheap. especially the older stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phill said:

Toyota FJ Cruiser for me! Still out of my price range though - sadly (over here at least) The new Jimnys look great, like mini G wagens.

#metoo, love the FJ but went for Gen 1 4Runner instead, a little more modern and quite bit behind on the cost curve

reminds me I still need to get it registered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Phill said:

Toyota FJ Cruiser for me! Still out of my price range though - sadly (over here at least) The new Jimnys look great, like mini G wagens.

Watch this weeks new Fifth Gear, they do a head to head with the latest Jimny v a Defender. Its a good little capable jeep, just needs a bit more guts in the engine as it revs its nuts off at 60mph!  20k for a brand new Jimney or a 2011 defender :blink:  i was all set to get a Defender as ive always wanted one, but then found out its £510 road tax per year! :rant_yellow:

The show also has the new Brabham Hypercar too :cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, axel said:

sure but Japanese cars in japan are not cheap. especially the older stuff. 

what are you seeing the best deals on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

german stuff occationally. bought my CTR in japan which was a 6 figure profit.

japanese stuff think there are too many eyes watching domestically.

money to be made sure, but to me Porsches AMG Alpinas but you gotta inspect the stuff Ive bought some howlers too - win some lose some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how do you inspect before you buy? Rack up a lot of air miles between Oslo and Tokyo? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep got an american over there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your man in Panama, eh? 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Watch this weeks new Fifth Gear, they do a head to head with the latest Jimny v a Defender. Its a good little capable jeep, just needs a bit more guts in the engine as it revs its nuts off at 60mph!  20k for a brand new Jimney or a 2011 defender :blink:  i was all set to get a Defender as ive always wanted one, but then found out its £510 road tax per year! :rant_yellow:

The show also has the new Brabham Hypercar too :cool:

 

Pointless towing comparison as the gutless jap box couldn't tow its way out of a paper bag let alone a horse box (which was, of course, empty).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

Pointless towing comparison as the gutless jap box couldn't tow its way out of a paper bag let alone a horse box (which was, of course, empty).

yeah but you wouldn't buy a Jimny to tow a flipping horsebox would you ;)  i think the gutless engine is its major flaw, which again makes me wonder why they are so expensive, even old ones. But they have very good off-road capabilities...as does a panda 4x4 :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MarkJ said:

yeah but you wouldn't buy a Jimny to tow a flipping horsebox would you ;)  i think the gutless engine is its major flaw, which again makes me wonder why they are so expensive, even old ones. But they have very good off-road capabilities...as does a panda 4x4 :)

 

Panda 4x4, the old one with the flat windows, now we're talking :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think the Jimney and panda 4x4 are much over hyped and romanticised. 

If you want a proper 4x4 that takes some stopping in the rough, pulls anything and goes and goes, defender all day long. Had a county 300tdi swb. Awesome truck 😎 So good, Ive found myself looking at them again recently. Tractor for the road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah ive looked at Defenders on and off for ages but its the road tax (£510 - and that will go up no doubt with all the shouty eco haters influencing the media and government) that sticks in my throat, I already pay through the nose for 3 cars and a motorbike! Even my flipping bike is now £90 a year road tax, what an absolute con that is :smash:  ps anyone noticed their IB has now gone up to £265 !    I want/need a jeep for the winters as I live ontop of the north downs and have a rural commute using back lanes and country A-roads. Had old freelanders and Rav4's for past 6 years but now but now 4x4 less. The romantic in me has me blatting through the woods in my Integrale (4wd!) but the realist will dread the salt and rotten winter! :glare:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s for commuting, any good 4x4 would do you Mark. Defender is a serious bit of kit that sucks fuel, is relatively slow and not the most entertaining drive. But it’ll pull a 4 ton road roller on a trailer up a stupidly steep incline 😂 Love em. Ours was metallic black with a white roof. Stupid to have ever sold it (for just under 6k!) 🙈

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Road tax is a killer. But the alternative... Just done 3300 mile road trip in france, approx 50% on autoroute which probably mirrors our commuting mix here in the UK. I reckon tolls ran us about €250. We do about 25k miles a year here in Blightly...

Agree though anything that is £510 today will be £1020 in a few years' time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend who owns a garage calls all Range Rovers his retirement fund, they are forever breakdown and cost a fortune to fix.

I've never owned a Range Rover so can't directly comment, but my old trusty Honda CRV before it was written off, handled all weathers, transport/load and cross Europe trips easily.

Check out The Sheriff (Ferdinand Mag) write up about his CRV dilemma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Series 2 or 3, no road tax? I've always hankered after one of those. Probably would have to fit it with a decent heater though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CRV is a good shout, took one for a test drive a few years ago, an exec with all the bells and whistles and was a nice ride. Cant remember why we didn't buy it, high road tax/maintenance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...