Impact Bumpers
axel

964 Side Romance

Chap down the road from me keeps saying he will sell his 1994 Patrol 4.0l petrol. In really want it even if I have to move it on after 6 months because I can't afford the fuel ūüėĀ

1 hour ago, Phill said:

Series 2 or 3, no road tax? I've always hankered after one of those. Probably would have to fit it with a decent heater though.

Been there. Done that. Great toys but not for a daily even if you do need the best 4x4xFar!

Edited by Wingnonut
Duplicatr

8k in Swansea :whistling: 

72568370_921922291508983_7023849976685920256_n.jpg

25 minutes ago, Busybee said:

8k in Swansea :whistling: 

72568370_921922291508983_7023849976685920256_n.jpg

Only ¬£265 a year for that one ūüėč

16 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Only ¬£265 a year for that one ūüėč

ūüė欆Proper chunky monkey that one :)¬†

So Axel bought a 964 from a Japanese auction and then we jumped to car tax and 4x4's

Good work gents, I'm loving this thread :cool:

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

yeah but you wouldn't buy a Jimny to tow a flipping horsebox would you ;) 

That's exactly my point - a totally pointless comparison. If I wanted a cheap winter hack i would go panda 4x4 on winter tyres.

On UK roads a Panda 4x4 on winters would be unstoppable, nothing more is needed

I drive my 4x4 daily rack up 20k a year, run winters in winter, all terrains in summer, smashing thorough pot holes without a thought

Only select 4 wheel drive a couple of times on the road each year due to deep snow on an incline and usually in Europe somewhere mountainous

the new ones are f-ugly though! I like the old school panda 4x4 but would want some modern touches like heated seats! (yes i'm getting old)

and yes, sorry we have digressed a tad from 964's :D ...but I did used to drive my 964 C4 in all weathers if that helps ;)

24 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

That's exactly my point - a totally pointless comparison. If I wanted a cheap winter hack i would go panda 4x4 on winter tyres.

Wife's winter hack is a Swift 4x4 on Toyo Celsius 4 season tyres.

Most of the time it’s an underpowered mass of metal, plastic and rubber but put it on snow, mud etc and it’s natural ability shines.

Not my first choice when it comes to daily transport but infinitely better at the road stuff than a Defender.

Those 964's are a bit pretty mind¬†ūü§ź

4 hours ago, MarkJ said:

ps anyone noticed their IB has now gone up to £265 !    

Not for me it won't  be , in my 79 should be exempt this year :yahoo: , sorry for gloating , got to love a classic :P though knowing my luck there will be a policy change .  

Helped a guy in the snow last year  in a jimney jeep getting out to push him twice   completely useless , kept getting stuck . I did smile , i was making good progress in my nemo van at the time untill I caught up with him . 

4 minutes ago, Henry said:

Not for me it won't  be , in my 79 should be exempt this year :yahoo: , sorry for gloating , got to love a classic :P though knowing my luck there will be a policy change .  

Helped a guy in the snow last year  in a jimney jeep getting out to push him twice   completely useless , kept getting stuck . I did smile , i was making good progress in my nemo van at the time untill I caught up with him . 

really, that's interesting to hear as it would definitely have to be snowy hill capable. I was mega impressed with the freelander in heavy snow as it went up any snow/ice covered lane where everyone else was falling to the wayside. Alas that went up to near 300quid road tax too so I p-xed it for the Lancia

lucky bugger on the roadtax, cant wait to be able to stick my fingers up at the DVLA every year :D

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

So Axel bought a 964 from a Japanese auction and then we jumped to car tax and 4x4's

Good work gents, I'm loving this thread :cool:

Did someone say what oil for winter....................................:whistling:

15 minutes ago, Henry said:

Nor me on one of mine Henry. 77. Up yours tax man! lol 

14 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

really, that's interesting to hear as it would definitely have to be snowy hill capable. I was mega impressed with the freelander in heavy snow as it went up any snow/ice covered lane where everyone else was falling to the wayside. Alas that went up to near 300quid road tax too so I p-xed it for the Lancia

lucky bugger on the roadtax, cant wait to be able to stick my fingers up at the DVLA every year :D

Think it was mainly down to his lack of skills as a driver , far too much throttle and over steering , he was an old bugger , come to think of it probably only a couple of years older than me¬†ūüėā. He lives in our village so had to follow him home ..¬† ¬†he also owns an old jag knackered¬† sc and an 928 .¬† Now I wouldnt mind goi g o¬† a road trip in a 928 gts ... oops wrong thread .¬†¬†

Nice one Haith got to love  tax free vehicle  , every bit helps . 

Edited by Henry

my Toyota struggles a bit when snow is over a foot deep

starts to snowplane, so I then have to put it into 4wd and maybe low ratio too 

tax is 265/yr so I try to use all of the road and sometimes the grass verges too, just so I get my money's worth

My RR Sport TDV8 is brilliant in all conditions other than snow unless you drive very slowly. Doing a pirouette while driving along a straight dual carriageway at 30mph in the snow was not much fun. Not winter tyres though. And £500 tax :( 

while we wait for Axel's eagerly anticipated first build update

my truck on the same Slovenian mountain pass we drove over on the IB tour

Was a bit dicy, even rubbed tyres with an AMG G class on a narrow section, I'd have moved over a bit but¬†I was already knocking the ploughed snow verge into in my window¬†ūü§Ē

2055721805_IMG_1308(1).thumb.JPG.419a7a77e90913070e84d20ab53b6aae.JPG

Was feeling well smug we'd made it up, then¬†I spotted the lady clearing snow off her Renault Kangoo van for her return trip down the mountain¬†ūüė≤

17 hours ago, Beaky said:

My friend who owns a garage calls all Range Rovers his retirement fund, they are forever breakdown and cost a fortune to fix.

I've never owned a Range Rover so can't directly comment, but my old trusty Honda CRV before it was written off, handled all weathers, transport/load and cross Europe trips easily.

Check out The Sheriff (Ferdinand Mag) write up about his CRV dilemma

Ha! I ran a P38 Range Rover for a year or so, and they are much maligned. Substantially more reliable than my current VW Passat, which is an absolute dog and VW refuse to do anything about. 

We have gone way off piste (see what I did there?), but while on the topic of snow, an E70 X5 on 18s and 245 winter tyres is pretty epic in snow if its the one that has the electronic rear diff.  I had our first one in over a foot of fresh stuff in the field at home and even drove it up the actual piste one year in the Alps.  Much to the amusement of the owners of the lodge we were staying at who told me I was supposed to park in the car park up the road a bit, to which I countered rather lamely with "but I didn't want to carry the bags".  I have also towed a Disco 4 out of deep snow in Switzerland with the X5.  That was just an over confident English driver who assumed it could go anywhere because its a Land Rover, not realising half worn Pirelli Scorpions are not really the right footwear.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:07 AM, Henry said:

For reference, in Texas I pay $50 for 5 years registration as the IB is considered an antique. No inspection required. 

@axel Good to know mate, would make sense nice JDM stuff would be pricey in Japan. When does your 964 arrive? They are such a good compact size, cars are so big these days.

5 minutes ago, 786 said:

cars are so big these days.

:signs71:

144ACDF1-5513-4332-95D4-A3AAF40F1881.jpeg

Interloper visiting Texas right 786 ūüėā

that photo is mental, just shows how ridiculous car sizes have become.  I followed a white range rover down a reasonable size country lane yesterday in the CR and it literally took up 2/3rds of the width of the normally two way lane. I was sat behind it thinking its as big as a transit van :blink: and predictably drove like a hearse, scared of puddles and pace :rolleyes:

No wonder all the roads and car parks are blocked up by the SUV posse, lets see if the little climate change whingers get their mums out of running a tank to school. :D