Main shaft blocked?

Aloha911

Hi all!

I have  been reading for quite some time in this forum, but unfortunately have now a question to ask myself:

Yesterday I drove my 1985 Carrera 3.2 normally and parked it in my garage. This morning it started normally, gears could be selected, but as soon as I release the clutch it grips normally but the car doesn’t move and hence the engine stalls. I can also not move the car in neutral. After lifting the rear end the wheels do turn, but obviously only in opposite directions. Any hints what it could be and how to fix it?

Thanks a mil!

Frank

Edited by Aloha911
Grammar...

Even with the wheels in the air the engine will eventually stall if I let the clutch go in any gear. The rear wheels rotate freely if I rotate them by hand, however only in opposite direction, hence it cannot be the brake or the differential. They do not rotate at all when I disengage the clutch

Front wheels also rotate freely.

Edited by Aloha911

ok as Leice..said...maybe you forgot to mention??????.... you tried to backup or something else like that.You are stuck in 2 gears....rethink what you did at that moment.

The only suggestion i have is look at pelican post ..there was exactly the same problem last week..read up about it...Possibly you have to remove the bottom inspection plate..-drain the trany 1st--- and see inside..also there is  a trick with reverse pin ..but we need to know what you did....

Ivan

Edited by proporsche

15 minutes ago, Aloha911 said:

The rear wheels rotate freely if I rotate them by hand, however only in opposite direction, 

Can you be more specific - do you mean that if you turn the nearside clockwise the offside turns anticlockwise and if you turn the nearside wheel anticlockwise the offside wheel turns clockwise - if so this is normal. Or do you mean the wheels will only turn one way and not the other?

12 minutes ago, proporsche said:

ok as Leice..said...maybe you forgot to mention??????.... you tried to backup or something else like that.You are stuck in 2 gears....rethink what you did at that moment.

The only suggestion i have is look at pelican post ..there was exactly the same problem last week..read up about it...Possibly you have to remove the bottom inspection plate..-drain the trany 1st--- and see inside..also there is  a trick with reverse pin ..but we need to know what you did....

Ivan

You can also try gently rocking the car forwards / backwards (engine off) and trying to move the gear lever into neutral at the same time.

If you manage to get it back into neutral you need to establish what caused the issue, fix and prevent reoccurrence. If it has selected two gears consider yourself lucky that it was happened at low speed. A high speed occurrence transforms 3 litres of GL5 into mercury.

It is likely you are in 5th and reverse at the same time.  Take the access panel off the side of the transmission and pry the selectors while someone wiggles the gearlever.

My brother has had this happen to a 911 while on his company's rolling road just by selecting 5th.....

I was a bit worried when I read "drained the tranny", thought I was on Phils favorite site by mistake...................anyhow great result!!