Impact Bumpers
Aloha911

Main shaft blocked?

Hi all!

I have  been reading for quite some time in this forum, but unfortunately have now a question to ask myself:

Yesterday I drove my 1985 Carrera 3.2 normally and parked it in my garage. This morning it started normally, gears could be selected, but as soon as I release the clutch it grips normally but the car doesn’t move and hence the engine stalls. I can also not move the car in neutral. After lifting the rear end the wheels do turn, but obviously only in opposite directions. Any hints what it could be and how to fix it?

Thanks a mil!

Frank

Edited by Aloha911
Grammar...

Have you checked your front wheels are free to rotate? Sounds like a stuck calliper to me

My first thought was handbrake locked on , but back wheels shouldn’t move freely in that case.Does the clutch pedal feel normal? 

Hi Busybee, yes, front wheels rotate freely. The rear wheels only in opposite direction. 

Hi Graham, yes clutch feels normal and engages at normal position.

Edited by Aloha911

Just now, Aloha911 said:

Hi Busybee, yes, front wheels rotate freely. The rear wheels only in opposite direction. 

But you can’t move the car in neutral? 

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

But you can’t move the car in neutral? 

Correct, I cannot move the car, even in neutral or clutch engaged.

Difficult to imagine tbh. You say the car goes into gear and stalls when you release the clutch. Have you tried a high rev quick release? 

Also what happenes if you crank it in gear? 

Not sure I fully understand but have you tried to run the engine and select gears with the back end in the air ( and the car well secured obviously)

I would guess handbrake shoes stuck or displaced

Even with the wheels in the air the engine will eventually stall if I let the clutch go in any gear. The rear wheels rotate freely if I rotate them by hand, however only in opposite direction, hence it cannot be the brake or the differential. They do not rotate at all when I disengage the clutch

Front wheels also rotate freely.

Edited by Aloha911

ok as Leice..said...maybe you forgot to mention??????.... you tried to backup or something else like that.You are stuck in 2 gears....rethink what you did at that moment.

The only suggestion i have is look at pelican post ..there was exactly the same problem last week..read up about it...Possibly you have to remove the bottom inspection plate..-drain the trany 1st--- and see inside..also there is  a trick with reverse pin ..but we need to know what you did....

Ivan

Edited by proporsche

15 minutes ago, Aloha911 said:

The rear wheels rotate freely if I rotate them by hand, however only in opposite direction, 

Can you be more specific - do you mean that if you turn the nearside clockwise the offside turns anticlockwise and if you turn the nearside wheel anticlockwise the offside wheel turns clockwise - if so this is normal. Or do you mean the wheels will only turn one way and not the other?

12 minutes ago, proporsche said:

ok as Leice..said...maybe you forgot to mention??????.... you tried to backup or something else like that.You are stuck in 2 gears....rethink what you did at that moment.

The only suggestion i have is look at pelican post ..there was exactly the same problem last week..read up about it...Possibly you have to remove the bottom inspection plate..-drain the trany 1st--- and see inside..also there is  a trick with reverse pin ..but we need to know what you did....

Ivan

You can also try gently rocking the car forwards / backwards (engine off) and trying to move the gear lever into neutral at the same time.

If you manage to get it back into neutral you need to establish what caused the issue, fix and prevent reoccurrence. If it has selected two gears consider yourself lucky that it was happened at low speed. A high speed occurrence transforms 3 litres of GL5 into mercury.

Maybe a wild idea but maybe jack the back up and on stands. Get someone to rock the wheels back and forth while you try to shift her to neutral. Engine off obviously. 

It is likely you are in 5th and reverse at the same time.  Take the access panel off the side of the transmission and pry the selectors while someone wiggles the gearlever.

My brother has had this happen to a 911 while on his company's rolling road just by selecting 5th.....

Always learning something on here! - Does this affect a G50 as well?

Edited by Roy M
Spelling

Thanks for all the quick replies and tips!

It looks like I'm in reverse and 5th at the same time. I will open her up tonight and keep you all posted.

Thanks!

Solved! Drained the tranny, opened the reverse switch, pushed the pin and she came out off reverse again.

Thanks for all the advice!

0BDC84A6-185B-4BE9-B510-E38E558EC20D.jpeg

I was a bit worried when I read "drained the tranny", thought I was on Phils favorite site by mistake...................anyhow great result!!

😁 how did I know that was coming. Can't beat giving the tranny a good reach around......