Impact Bumpers
angusb

SIP Air Compressor review

It is what it is.

2 hp is around 1.4 kw. 

Don’t want to be negative but worthwhile compressors start at around 5 kw, then you really need a dryer, filters, separator etc.

It will make a lot if water and not a great volume of air.

What do you want to use it for?

Regarding SIP,

I used to sell their products and always found them to be excellent quality.(especially the welders)

I have customers that bought compressors off me years ago that still have them today. (Commercial garages)

Regards

Russ

I have this as my everyday compressor. It's fine for blowing a bit of air, tyres, and it will run tools like a drill or an MBX for small jobs. For a DIY guy you will be fine and it's a fair compromise with a small footprint. You should be able to run HVLP spray guns from it but I've not tried yet. Smart repairs it will cope with but a door or bonnet lid and you would need need to be careful as you don't want to run out of puff. I've used it for cavity way and underseal stuff no problems.

SIP are supposed to be good quality AFAIK. Step up from Sealey perhaps. Having said that I have a Sealey horizontal 2.5hp (1.8kw) with a 50l tank. Had it for years and it is fine for spraying. Use it all the time for pumping up tyres and spraying HVLP but it will run out of puff with air grinder fairly quickly. Having had one for so long I wouldn't be without again (unless I got rid of all my cars!) Supposedly it is 7cfm at 6 bar with a max of 8.4cfm but I don't think it manages that in real life.

Thanks for your replies guys,decision made. I can take you point about the usability of the larger tanks, unfortunately to big for garage .

regards Angus

You really need 13 cfm for spraying, and a minimum of 100 litre tank. An easy solution is to link up twin compressors (one can be sited somewhere else and just linked up). Mine are linked by copper tubing and sited so that there is a water collection point and drain-off. Also pipe-in a good quality water trap.

Regards,

David