Headlamps upgrade

• The lights on my car could be better ...... have contemplated the idea of changing the fog lights for similar sized spot lamps so I can supplement  main beam .  Anyone already done this , is there a spot version of the fog used on the 911 (1988), or is the fog light a bespoke part ?

There are several levels available as a fix.  You could buy more modern bulbs which do make a difference.  After that fitting relays allows more power and is again a relatively cheap fix.  After that it’s LEDs or Xenons and they cost a lot more.  Go for relays and better bulbs, they work really well

^ but not E marked so therefore not road legal.  

No replacement LED bulbs are legal in Europe and won’t ever be due to the way the rules are written. 

Edited by Jonny Hart
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, David Gander said:

Jonny’s spade fuse box (Classic Retrofit) with built-in headlanp relays and use Nightbreaker bulbs. Absolutely no problem seeing!
David.

+1

I have the J West relays, as many do, and they work very well. If you are electrically minded making the same kit would not be hard and a lot cheaper than ordering from the USA.

3 hours ago, proporsche said:

Johny it all depend which country;-)..also the pattern has to be legal on your glass.....https://www.qeedon.com/how-to-identify-headlights-e-mark-

Illegal throughout Europe.  

You cannot get E marked LED bulbs because they do not work correctly with the reflector and lens due to the differing shape of the light source.  

• Like 1

That's not 100% accurate is it really. If the vehicle came fitted with LEDs at manufacture then they are legal. My personal opinion is that LED headlights are quite objectionable. They are far too bright for normal use causing a safety issue for other drivers, even if they are original fitment. 

well? I get you Johny but i did try driving against my 911 in a different car and i did not see any glare or being obstructed to see in front of my while my 911 passed me...again if you lence is correct the light will only shine that direction.. again i do not really care much about somebody stopping me for it...i did the test and i very much doubt that some police will take theirs time to see if your light bulb has the E on it;-)

Again your retrofit is a perfect solution ..... it is a good system....

4 hours ago, Phill said:

That's not 100% accurate is it really. If the vehicle came fitted with LEDs at manufacture then they are legal. My personal opinion is that LED headlights are quite objectionable. They are far too bright for normal use causing a safety issue for other drivers, even if they are original fitment. 

Yes 100% accurate. Read my words carefully.   You cannot get E marked BULBS.  

You will never be able to get retrofit LED BULBS for our cars because the regulations stipulate that any retrofit bulb MUST be of the same type.  E.g.  a lamp unit designed for filament bulbs must use filament bulbs, not any other technology.  

You can get complete lamp units which are E marked because that has been designed from the ground up;  LED, lens, projector etc.  

I totally agree with you about brightness of today’s car lights.  They are dangerous for other road users in my opinion. 

I bet you there is not a single study that shows that brightness beyond a certain level equals safety.  Being able to see further down the road does not make you safer.  In fact, the opposite, it gives you a false sense of security and makes you drive faster.  If a deer runs out of a hedge you are more likely to hit it if you are travelling faster, doesn’t matter how far ahead you can see.  

Personally, I run yellow lenses.  I hate road sign glare and this is completely eliminated.   They are not dimmer, just a different wavelength.   

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, proporsche said:

but Johny..there are car with LED headlight from production line already on the roads;-)

Ivan

I can’t be any clearer than this:  

LED light units. OK.  E Marked  

LED retrofit bulbs.  Illegal.   Not E marked. 

i know you have strict rules in Great Britain-- for the rest of the Europe...where i live i like to be rebel so i do not worry about it, nobody will ever stop you anywhere else in Europe for LED lights....

it is good to be different....

3 minutes ago, proporsche said:

i know you have strict rules in Great Britain-- for the rest of the Europe...where i live i like to be rebel so i do not worry about it, nobody will ever stop you anywhere else in Europe for LED lights....

it is good to be different....

Sorry Ivan.  It’s an EU directive!   

It’s not about getting stopped. It’s about your insurance being invalid. 

Johny..my insurance can get careless what headlights i have on  my 911..again these rules are most likely up in your Big island;-) That is for me passing the control technique past monts in France as is for my insurance with allianz;-).really they don`t care in the rest of the Europe..trust me i Just past my VW in German TUV with LEd nobody cares.....

Just now, Busybee said:

Think that’s taking the rules to the letter of the law Jonny. Like n rated tyres. You ever heard of anyone being done or insurance invalidated for led bulbs? 

Personal experience.   I was restoring a car and it was damaged (by a skip lorry) on my premises.  I made a claim.

Because the car was a modified classic, the insurance company sent round an inspector who went through ALL the non standard items.  It was quite clear to me that the inspector was looking for parts that were not declared.

Now had you blinded an oncoming car and had a prang, I could imagine the outcome.

1 minute ago, Jonny Hart said:

Personal experience.   I was restoring a car and it was damaged (by a skip lorry) on my premises.  I made a claim.

Because the car was a modified classic, the insurance company sent round an inspector who went through ALL the non standard items.  It was quite clear to me that the inspector was looking for parts that were not declared.

Now had you blinded an oncoming car and had a prang, I could imagine the outcome.

But a bulb is a service item like tyres and oil. Not a hot engine or a bodykit. You’re kinda replacing a worn item with another of more modern and more efficient design. Think an insurer would have a hell of a time invalidating your policy cause you used a readily available upgrade bulb. LEDs weren’t around 30 years ago in this form. The headlights can be adjusted to make the beam compliant. As long as it passes the mot. Be a hell of a stink if an insurer tried to dodge on bulbs surely? 

What was the outcome of the skip lorry incident? 

^ In my experience insurance companies will do anything not to pay out. 

third paragraph:

https://blog.motoringassist.com/news/gems-latest-research-on-illegal-car-bulbs/

They did pay for the car to be repaired after the skip lorry knocked it off its axle stands.