Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Andy352

Door handle question.

I've fitted the exterior door handles back on to my car, first of all driver's door would open but wouldn't lock, passenger door would lock and open (battery is connected). I then swapped the lock pins over and put the handles on opposite sides, both opening but not locking. What am I doing wrong?

Little plastic sleeve in the barrel needs to be in exactly the right place for the central locking to work.  There is sensor on handle.

Edited by Nige

Thanks Nige, I see the plastic sleeve,how do I know the correct position? Are there any markings to go by?

I can't remember sorry.  I kinda stumbled across the same problem.  You need to figure the orientation according to the sensor.  

I found a thread on a random forum, I've tried looking but is was 2 years ago.

Thanks again, I'll fiddle about with them and see if I can work it out.

I fully dismantled my handles to polish them.  The sleeve came out with the barrel, it's whitish plastic/nylon with small notches on it's outside, about 10mm diameter and 15mm long.  I just thought it was a bush for the barrel so just placed it back it on reassembly. My central locking was messed up.  Afterwards I realised the notches affected the signal to the micro switch.  I seem the recall the orientation was reasonably obvious.  There is nothing on the internet about them that I can find.

I'll have another try later. I dismantled mine for painting and I noticed the plastic sleeve that your talking about, I'll clean it all up and pay more attention when rebuilding again. I'll let you know how I get on.

Handles are sided so make sure you get them the right way round before putting them together.