996 or 997?

Northy

My Dad really wants to get a 911.
Budget is £18k. What do you guys think is the best bet a really good 996 or a lower end 997? 

I’m inclined to say buy the best 996 he can, because the budget won’t be enough for an equivalent 997. 

I’m thinking He should look for a 996 C2 Manual with an LSD.  Perhaps even an early 3.4 over a 3.6. 

Anyone got any advice or experience in buying either 996 or 997? 

Having had a quick look on Pistonheads it would seem 997s aren’t that low yet anyway. 

Maybe something like this with a slush fund is a better bet anyway https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-carrera-996/porsche-911-996-carrera-manual--gt3-aero-kit--lsd-option--ims-option-available/10094485

3 hours ago, Northy said:

Having had a quick look on Pistonheads it would seem 997s aren’t that low yet anyway. 

Maybe something like this with a slush fund is a better bet anyway https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/porsche/911-carrera-996/porsche-911-996-carrera-manual--gt3-aero-kit--lsd-option--ims-option-available/10094485

Yup thats where I would be for a first watercooled 911. Nice find, looks tidy and tight and some good options.

you read this thread yet? https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=230&t=1668289

I loved my 3.4 996. I would have that over a less than perfect 997. 

I sold my fathers gen1 997 C2 for £19k back in 2012 when he took delivery of his 991 and OPC Colchester only bid £14k. Oh how times have changed. 

Nick Jeffries who’s the events Director at PCGB is potentially selling his 996 4S.

As far as I’m aware it’s been very well maintained and well known in the PCGB and 996 circles.

Look him up on Facebook where he’s posted the potential sell.

Don’t discount the C4 996 - it was highly rated in back to back tests with the C2 at the time. I just helped a friend buy a 70k mile C4 and it was very nice. Not hair on fire fast but good VFM. And a year round driving proposition - we are looking for winter wheels now so he can use it in the Alps.  

I have just paid £14k for an early C2 997. 110,000 miles. Boroscope shows no problems. Hoping for a few years of trouble free motoring but would expect a Hartech rebuild at some point in the future.

Not sure if what I’m doing makes any sense but I’m certainly enjoying it.

My experience tells me that £18k should get you a sound 997. My experience also tells me that your Father should go for it.

Sam

06c81e7aa658c2866c5bc11ae9ab3bb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony at D9 told me he's done rebuilds on 997s with only 35000 miles and seen ones with 110000 miles with no issues at all. I really think it is the Friday afternoon syndrome, even Porsche does not seem immune to that. If I was in the lucky position of having to choose I would go for a 997 based on looks alone - but then I wouldn't because I'd have a Jaguar XKR or an Aston Martin Vantage.

Silly question, but for about £18k you can get a blindingly good Cayman, I know it’s not a 911 but they are really good Porsche vehicles and perhaps a little more manageable.

Get them to test drive one

Not sure how relevant this is but I was talking to someone tonight who was selling his 3.6 996 C2 with 55k miles but was looking for £22-24k!

Sounded rich to me!

Edited by Roy M