Impact Bumpers
Phill

Running in - wisdom requested.

Right then, new thread. I clearly have a running in period to conduct. I have received advice from my builder but I want to know what others have been advised and gone through. I have read Wayne's advice in his book so that's two views...........

Johnny H's (Unit 11) advice after my  full rebuild....

Use limited revs for the first 500 miles (someone else can probably remember 'what' that rpm limit actually is ;) ). Don't keep it at the same rpm too long. After that - change the oil and go for your life :)

For me..do not into the red line drive it hard, not in the same rpm, but non stop 1000 miles with little breaks...When i did Bob engine" Riviera Bob" he did exactly that,he  did 1000 miles in 2 days.Then i did the 1000 miles service. Now the engine is a strong beast and uses only 1/3 of oil every 2000 miles 

2 days later video....

Ivan

Edited by proporsche

Sounds sweet!

I am thinking then, 500 miles at low variable revs, change oil, another 500 miles increasing the revs used gradually over the 500, change oil and adjust tappets, good to go?

do not waste your oil do 1000 then the service...really;-)

Ivan

I was lucky in the fact I had Route Napoleon and the surrounding roads to run it in, so drove up to Grenoble and back. Varied revs, keeping on low side first 500 miles. bit more after.  Did some downhill engine braking too (seem to remember good for piston ring break in). Anyway with that, and Ivan's magic, extremely happy with result! I used Millers mineral 20/50 for break in. Now use VR1 mineral (dive for cover!).

5 minutes ago, proporsche said:

do not waste your oil do 1000 then the service...really;-)

Ivan

OK, you are the expert ;)

And, yes, having re-read couple of oil threads and on the advice of my builder re mineral oil I shall be using VR1 from now on, thanks Bob.

Hi, yes i always use only mineral oil (from England.Millers  ) ....just to not baby the engine, all good before the red line....

Ivan

I was told on first rebuild:

4k limit for first 1k miles on 15w40, then oil change to whatever builder recommends (to stay warranty compliant!)

Lots of rpm variation - acceleration and engine braking if rings are new.

Most recently, mine was run-in on the engine dyno but similar actions performed.

i would go higher than 4k so engine is not becoming lazy, just me..believe me if the engine is done correctly all will be good.. if not it will tell you 1st 100 miles;-).engine acc and braking is also good;-)

Ivan

23 minutes ago, SP72 said:

I was told on first rebuild:

4k limit for first 1k miles on 15w40, then oil change to whatever builder recommends (to stay warranty compliant!)

Lots of rpm variation - acceleration and engine braking if rings are new.

Most recently, mine was run-in on the engine dyno but similar actions performed.

I was advised similar all on mineral oil to protect the flat tappets. From memory did 3k first 250miles slowly building to 5k at 500 miles, lots of acceleration/deceleration. Then oil change and next 500 miles to 5k.

If you look at my build thread from about page 4 there several inputs from our learned friends about running in procedures.

13 hours ago, proporsche said:

so Beaky? you are using synthetic oil??

ivan

No Sticking with Valvoline 20w-50 VR1.

It's the choice of several respected air cooled engine builders, and since I do around 5k> miles in a year and change oil and filter annually from what I have read etc, the use of mineral oils will see no deterioration in the oils performance over 12 months. Additionally it has the the right level of protection for our type of engine (flat tappets).

beaky..super that is correct;-) what is the VR! stands for? I use Millers Oils 20W50...

9fbe730d3909defe6295036897a7af73.jpg

VR - Valvoline Racing I believe 

Managed 145 miles today. Should have been 170 but road closures and weariness set in. All A and B roads (apart from stopping in Winchester for lunch) with lots of accelerating and slowing down under engine braking. 382 miles done.

Another painful 62 miles this morning, took over 2 hours! It is just amazing how much traffic there is in the south east. I do refer, however, to my signature below, something needs to be done about these people :angry: 437 miles done.

I did my 1000 miles after weekday 10pm or before weekend 7am.  Safer, especially when decelerating without using brakes(!)

A visit to see @PeterK  and inspect his excellent rebuild racked up another 90 miles. 532 done.

It's not until you see a 911 in bits and boxes do you realise just how many parts there are! Great work so far Peter, thanks for the coffee and I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Thanks for calling in Phill - nice to see the 'new' motor running sweetly.

Edited by PeterK