• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

1000 miles is done at last.

This morning so far, car driven for a warm up, oil drained, heat exchangers off and rocker covers off. Now waiting for engine to be properly cold. Need to go and get a set of 3/8 socket extensions so I can reach the head studs nuts for retorquing.

I forgot, 10 litres of VR1 ordered hopefully to arrive Monday. Taking it nice and slow and steady, no need to rush.

Not a silly question. Not necessary in normal circumstances I know but as I do not have a distributor I wanted to be sure I was at the correct position by being able to see the exhaust valve, open or closed. They also need a clean and while they are off I can inspect the underside of the engine more easily.

Out of interest, I have put the engine at TDC (exhaust valve at cyclinder 1 is closed) and there is a tiny bit of wiggle at the rocker as expected. However, there is a little bit of wiggle at cylinder 2 as well. Is that normal?

25 minutes ago, proporsche said:

about the no 2 ..from saturday ..yes it is normal and

from today next time drive it to me get a hotel and spa treatment next day you will be on your way;-)

It's very tempting Ivan. Might have to be an away trip with the missus. She can shop and I can watch you work on my car ;)

16 minutes ago, Phill said:

Will have to be a Coke, but OK :lol:

And he will probably be naked Ivan.........................that ok?

15 hours ago, Phill said:

Well, valve adjustment is the new worst job on an IB, for me anyway. I will save my pennies and get someone else to do it next time.

Yup. I've always done it myself but my back now thinks its time for someone else to do it.

Well the car swallowed all 10 litres and it's not enough. Need to put in another 1/2 ltr I think.

It's very gloopy, surprisingly thick going through the funnel. Car is deffo quieter too. Look forward to getting out on the open road for better noise test.

15 minutes ago, Busybee said:

20W 50 recommended by the boys in Wales Phill? That's some thick stuff 

Recommended by general consensus on here. Here we go.,..............:D:rolleyes: