Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
Jonny Hart

Squeaky SSI

Hi all,

For a couple of years I’ve had an annoying rattle/squeak from the left side of the car when it the car is warm.  Today, with my new scissor lift I am pretty sure I know why. 

I have SSIs on the car and if I pull down on the h/e part of the LH manifold,  it moves and I can hear metal on metal.  The exhaust itself is not loose but I can see the h/e outer moving where it is formed around exhaust port on the top.  It doesn’t appear to have any fixings, just shaped around the exhaust ports.  

The RHS does not do this, it is firm.  When I tap it with a rubber mallet, it rings, whereas the LHS rattles and squeaks.

Any suggestions how to fix?  I am thinking to tack weld the h/e flange to the exhaust tube.  

Answered your own question there. I think that's the best option and will be a solid fix.

Nick has this problem with his SC, although not SSI's, the case moves slightly at certain rpm. Its either weld it solid or jam something in there to stop it moving.