Hi Richard,

Looks like a great car, already a motoring legend. Good to know it is in the hands of someone who will use it as intended; I can't abide cars that are stored away as investments.

Do you still have the Fuchs alloys I sold you many moons ago?

Jon

On 11/11/2019 at 3:30 PM, Richard Bernau said:

Snap!  I already have the Supersprint backbox, so it sounds pretty decent.  The noise is still dominated by the induction but not as much as the youtube clips suggest.  Clearly, I have't heard it from outside yet though.  With the airbox res flap closed it is quite muted and you could cruise round never suspecting anything special.  Its a bit ruder when the flap opens - revs or sport button dependent.  It sounds pretty awesome compared to just about anything I can think of.  Not shouty or contrived, just hard edged, high rev, cammy and mechanical.

You need to hear it from the outside then, they sound like a full on race car! :D  I was following my mate in his a few months back and whilst on the hands free on my car, my other half asked what the noise in the background was... Yep, that'd be the Supersprint :wub:    Needless to say I didn't need the stereo on for the duration of the drive

Wheel studs fitted and 12mm rear spacers on to match the front which already had 12mm spacers. The front one were I think added for brake clearance though there is lots of clearance already, but no complaints. 

Happy that my inner stance demon has been satisfied. 

5269CD2C-F141-42E7-9156-9E96ADDC80A2.thumb.jpeg.399362743738074be253302740847fe1.jpeg9BD84D25-AC31-42A4-8144-C4AE8847155D.thumb.jpeg.9dea40185ffdb2442ed5913804496a02.jpeg

It’s started. I am joining Detailers World....

Seriously, not sure why I haven’t bought a DA polisher in the past. Does a much better job and so much easier.  Also, new garage lights up and making it soooo much easier.   

I have only started on the easy glory bits. Bonnet, boot and roof polished.  So, the car is SORNed for winter and will get proper sparkly over the next couple of months.

Also ordered correct CSL size MP4S tyres from Costco on the £25/corner discount. 

7370CD4E-99FC-4D37-896F-36EBCE8D222D.thumb.jpeg.0a1996d6229381ce58cd74dd114c674f.jpeg5610B3F4-4BD9-48A5-97C6-730C39918DA3.thumb.jpeg.f3b28463a52779ea23b1e8352d1a90e3.jpeg667EB4FD-D77D-4528-B1C6-A8563366E00B.thumb.jpeg.40aa5273c3f94a16296916c815bff2b2.jpegCECC714D-0648-497B-84F1-7935C10E2873.thumb.jpeg.b786536125d631602483cf0fe4e0d824.jpeg

5 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

It’s started. I am joining Detailers World....

Seriously, not sure why I haven’t bought a DA polisher in the past. Does a much better job and so much easier.  Also, new garage lights up and making it soooo much easier.   

I have only started on the easy glory bits. Bonnet, boot and roof polished.  So, the car is SORNed for winter and will get proper sparkly over the next couple of months.

Also ordered correct CSL size MP4S tyres from Costco on the £25/corner discount. 

7370CD4E-99FC-4D37-896F-36EBCE8D222D.thumb.jpeg.0a1996d6229381ce58cd74dd114c674f.jpeg5610B3F4-4BD9-48A5-97C6-730C39918DA3.thumb.jpeg.f3b28463a52779ea23b1e8352d1a90e3.jpeg667EB4FD-D77D-4528-B1C6-A8563366E00B.thumb.jpeg.40aa5273c3f94a16296916c815bff2b2.jpegCECC714D-0648-497B-84F1-7935C10E2873.thumb.jpeg.b786536125d631602483cf0fe4e0d824.jpeg

Which products are you using?  :door:

5 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Yes they can be very effective once you get the technique nailed. I trust you clay bar'd the paint before hitting it with the DA?

Yeah, got some new clay Jev. 

I have Farecla G3 for when I need some abrasion, a Meguiars Scratch remover and Menzerna polish.  TBH, they are products I had already and which I was happy using by hand.  I have Collinite wax which seems to be about as tough as old boots and shiney enough for me, but I haven't stated with that yet.

In my experience BMW paint is really tough.  So a decent canvass to learn on.  And I am not doing anything dangerous, just taking it slowly on abrasiveness and speed.  I am just enjoying not having to apply by hand.  

So far, I have only found 4-5 stone chips etc that need rust treating and painting.  One on the inner rear arch that has been sanded and POR15'd, the rest in the door jams, where I think the seat belt has been closed in the door.  So, all in all pretty pleased and what I expected based on the PPI.  

The car has so many cool little bits - like all the arches are rolled from the factory for wheel clearance.  I love the details.  And the wheels are really light - much lighter then the mag centred BBS wheels or the Pro-Race 987 wheels in an unscientific "pick em up and move em round" kind of way,  

• 2 weeks later...

New front brakes on mine this week courtesy of those nice guys at Redish.  Interestingly the guy who runs Speedhunters had two of his M3s in for work, one of which was the same as your car Richard, colour and all.  I did notice he had titanium wheel studs and nuts though......

E9151016-F044-475C-9F6E-D6B6B06458BA.jpeg

I have put the steel studs and nuts on mine (and added 12mm spacers to the rear to match the front) and may yet add fancy LW wheel nuts if these go too rusty too quickly.  Plus CSL size MP4S tyres courtesy of Costco promo now on.  Also ticking off little jobs like new badges, new centre caps, new EU ready number plates (without crappy dealer advertising on them), 10w60 oil for top ups, etc.  I have de-tarred, clayed and nearly finished machine polishing as per above posts and will start the waxing this weekend.  And the AP Racing brakes have had a good clean.  Interior will be next on the list and then a bit more underside cleaning and protecting.  I am making good progress.  Its nice having a new car to get stuck into.

This is the stuff I used. You've done the hard work by machine polishing the car. This stuff wipes on with foam applicator pad over the whole car, then wipe off with a brand new quality microfiber towel. Two applications and a third of the tiny bottle is left. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Feynlab-Ceramic-Lite-30ml-Easy-to-Use-Durable-Entry-Level-Vehicle-Coating/162745504036?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

For claying I have been using a clay cloth, works very well. Keep it wet with soapy water and you can feel the difference as you go. Needs a coat of polish after but gets good results.

Baz

On 12/13/2019 at 3:33 PM, Baz said:

For claying I have been using a clay cloth, works very well. Keep it wet with soapy water and you can feel the difference as you go. Needs a coat of polish after but gets good results.

Baz

I tried one of those - think it's the Farecla one - but just couldn't get on with it. It seemed to leave a lot more marring on the surface than clay. I've kept it for wheel use.

What's your technique?

On 12/13/2019 at 3:33 PM, Baz said:

Needs a coat of polish after

<pedantic mode on>

polish isn't a coat - its an abrasive to get rid of scratches created by the clay.

Wax is a coat - its applied after polish to protect the paint and increase shine.

<pedantic mode off>

Not sure how those clay cloth's or mitts are supposed to work. With a clay bar, you flatten it out and then roll it up, squeeze it etc, then flatten out again after each panel. To expose a new surface of clay so you don't put in more scratches than necessary. With the cloth, you're kinda stuck with one dirty surface right? So dragging those bits all over the car is bound to be worse? :twocents:

14 minutes ago, jevvy said:

<pedantic mode on>

polish isn't a coat - its an abrasive to get rid of scratches created by the clay.

Wax is a coat - its applied after polish to protect the paint and increase shine.

<pedantic mode off>

Technically correct, however in the real world most automotive retail products described as a polish contain a wax or silicone. They are designed to remove minor defects and add a 'layer of protection'.

The main one that springs to mind is:

https://www.autoglym.com/super-resin-polish

Not sure that's true in this day and age Leics. Polishes used to be kind of a one step thing 20 years ago. You washed with a bucket, dried it with a chamois and chucked autoglym on. These days the detailing technology has kind of moved on. Washing a car to minimise swirls etc has become a thing of science really. Snowfoam, clays, fillers, ceramics, sealants. There are dedicated products for everything if you want them. The finishes these days make Autoglym resin polish look like something you'd chuck on your lawnmower. White power left in seals, hard as nails to take off....

If you just want an amazing shine from a single product try Boora Wax off Amazon. It doesn't last that long but the ease of application and finish is kind of stunning. Heard Fusso is very good too (but there are lots of types and I've no idea which is the best one). Polished Pigs Spray Wax is pretty cool too.