first pic with bronze wheel. New owner wanted stock look so I sold it with the original spec spare wheels I had.   Also notice mine was a non xenon car so didnt have the headlight washers etc .  I also removed the induction flap .. although that mod is open for debate. Great fun cars , you'll enjoy it .

I don't pretend to have mastered the SMG technique yet.  I will try no lift, and I have heard that advice elsewhere, but that wasn't the advice I got yesterday from Dan and Stephen who are very familiar with CSLs.  Dan gets paid to coach people in BMWs and he said he uses half throttle on upshifts.  I am not saying that is definitively right, so I will try different techniques.  Good thing is you can feel and hear how it is working, so you get immediate feedback from the car on what slurs vs slots home.

I have just had a new potentiometer for the flap. so for a while at least, that works.  Also a couple of new sensors, being the only things the PPI uncovered.

I asked about PPF yesterday as the car is pretty stone chip free - remarkably for the mileage.  I think I may protect the carbon flippers and the leading edge of the roof.  Winter DIY.

not an auto box though ... its a manual box with automated shift.

1/2 throttle might be fine .. think the slu is worse when people completly lift.  Personally I never lifted .. which also feels great when doing full throttle red line shifts in the fastest setting

Edited by hot66

CSL manual conversions?  Seems mad on a rare and investment friendly car.

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

Auto box big cars. I'm sure it goes like stink Rich but what a contrast from the turbo recently departed. You'll be stripping it out before long 😜

Not as much of a contrast as you might imagine, but a good question.  Will probably do a long post in a couple of weeks on what I think.

Clearly not the in the same league but the same premise, we have a Toyota Aygo with an automated clutch and it is horrible. The last clutch, under the previous owners driving lasted 25000 miles and this was because they did not lift on the upcharge. Not lifting, on this car, causes huge slur in the clutch. Toyota recommend lifting on the upcharge, and! not even using the "easy" automatic mode which is it's primary design function. Needless to say they don't make these gearboxes any more. Also, changing the clutch costs north of £600. Sometimes if the drivers method is that bad the actuators and the ECU need replacing and then you are looking at anything up to £2500!! I truly hope BMWs design is more robust.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:56 PM, Richard Bernau said:

Cool, BMR are local and I know of Redish 

A good friend recommends BMR highly. Ex Munich Legends guys who really know and care about these older, rarer and more unusual models, apparently.

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm a massive Beemer fan, but this is the last of their cars that I find interesting. I hope it gives you much enjoyment.

I had a similar system on a Sprinter I ordered back in 2000, it was a then new option called Sprintshift (like most of these I guess - really just the manual transmission with hydraulic shift block). It received some adverse press soon after release, I think possibly due to failures attributable to driver abuse and possibly some lack of understanding on the dealer network’s part with regards to software and recalibration of wear parts i.e. clutch. 

I think the software makes or destroys the experience of these transmission types. I got on ok with that one, sold it back in 2009 and still chat with the guy who bought it. He did put a brand new transmission in last year, the original having lasted 1,300,000 miles!

5 minutes ago, mean in green said:

the original having lasted 1,300,000 miles!

Holy Moly, really? That is an advert for reliability if ever I saw one.

Edited by Phill

Great buy Richard E46 M3 on my list as well, done all the reading and aware of the usual horror stories, but not enough to put me off so will do it one day...

Would be good to see you on track in it sometime next year...

And very interesting to drive back to back with the 987.  Quick thoughts -

1. Similar midrange tq, though the 987 probably wins subjectively, but top end the CSL wins easily

2. Night and day in terms of throttle response with 987 feeling comparatively mute, like a layer of thick wool is between you and the throttle.  ITBs rule.

3. AP Racing brakes beat the Porsche monoblock/little red/986/987/996 set up hands down

4. CSL feels newer in terms of the bushings and general tightness of suspension despite being nearly 20k miles older

5. Both feel similar in steering being old school hydraulic assistance with the 987 having the edge in feel thru the much thinner rimmed steering wheel

6. CSL finds more traction on typically leafy, wet junctions and slow corners despite the 987 having a weight distribution advantage.  Blame the lack of an LSD and MP4S tyres being a distinct advantage

7. CSL rolls less than the 987 despite having similar spring rates  - KWv3 vs close to KWv3 rates. 987 could handle a stiffer rear anti-roll bar

8. KW damping is firmer than the BCs, but both are adjustable so not conclusive.  987 is better on really bumpy roads, but CSL feels like it is desperate to be unleashed on smooth, open, super fast roads 

Good fun whichever way you cut it.

Having a comparison point does shine a light on what is good/bad in the 987.  However, it is still a very good, fun and cheap little car that has already done great service in the Pyrenees and the Alps.  I am very fortunate to be able to play with 2 great cars at the moment.  

6 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Having a comparison point does shine a light on what is good/bad in the 987.  However, it is still a very good, fun and cheap little car that has already done great service in the Pyrenees and the Alps.  I am very fortunate to be able to play with 2 great cars at the moment.  

Was only pulling your leg you lucky chap!

What does the CSL sound like? My mates E46 m3 sounded mega, all induction and engine but lacked ever so slightly in the exhaust note. He then installed a supersprint backbox, which is absolutely epic! Would thoroughly recommend if you feel the need for a more noise.. (guessing the csl is a bit more throaty due to the larger carbon intake setup though)

Snap!  I already have the Supersprint backbox, so it sounds pretty decent.  The noise is still dominated by the induction but not as much as the youtube clips suggest.  Clearly, I have't heard it from outside yet though.  With the airbox res flap closed it is quite muted and you could cruise round never suspecting anything special.  Its a bit ruder when the flap opens - revs or sport button dependent.  It sounds pretty awesome compared to just about anything I can think of.  Not shouty or contrived, just hard edged, high rev, cammy and mechanical.