Vintage racer wheel look (what fat tyres)

Andy911

Hi guys, am looking for some advice from the more learned amongst you..

I recently purchased a 1976 3.0 Carrera Targa, she’s a great solid car with strong mechanics and  relatively low miles (96k).

She started off life as an Ice Green Metallic Sporto but is now a manual and on its third colour of Slate Grey, which I think suits the car well, contrasting with the stainless steel Targa hoop and chrome work.

Due to the fact the car is now so unoriginal I am happy to mildly hot-rod her into something I really like the look of... 

My quandary is wheel/ tyre choice.. The car is currently running 15x7 & 15x8’s in rear. I have purchased some 16” 7&8’s but as I’m after achieving the vintage racer look I’m considering sticking with the 15’s and fitting some high wall tyres, namely Goodrich Radial T/A’s 215/70R and 225/70R15. I have zero knowledge with tyres, but they used to race with these, they look cool (IMO) and now they are produced with modern compounds and tech- so win, win right!?

Can anyone with experience of fitting bigger tyres pass on some knowledge of potential pitfalls before I fork out my hard earned?

I know the current fashion is big wheels, thin tyres but I like the retro look. I’ve added a picture of what I mean-

E9C4DA6D-6224-4EE9-826E-22FCC674330A.jpeg

4CD74F70-D8DA-4BE6-B02C-20493533C9D4.jpeg

• Like 1

They look a bit too fat and wobbly for my liking on that old photo.  Reminds me of comfort US spec 14s with fat side walls.

I wouldn't mess with your current spec, I think it's the sweet spot for tyre and rim combo.

1 hour ago, Leicestershire said:

Check the speed rating on the BFG’s. I think they could be a T.

They are a heavy tyre ok for a heavy classic muscle car or truck. 

Ummmm, yes, I never considered the weight factor. Speed rating is ‘S’ which is low at 180kmh, but I sincerely doubt I’d ever exceed that speed. Longstone Classic tyres do recommend them for 911’s.

6 hours ago, mean in green said:

Oversize wheels with low profile tyres look very wrong indeed on a 911. I’m all for the Scalextrix look, especially on a 70s car (just don’t go too far!)

100% in Agreement, I have read a few contrasting views on benefits of low profile tyres. F1 cars never appear to be too low profile and I guess those guys know a bit about tyre choice..

1 hour ago, Andy911 said:

Ummmm, yes, I never considered the weight factor. Speed rating is ‘S’ which is low at 180kmh, but I sincerely doubt I’d ever exceed that speed. Longstone Classic tyres do recommend them for 911’s.

Surprised that Longstone recommend an S rated tyre for a 911. When considering the speed rating you need to look at handling and braking capacities of a motor vehicle - a tyre rated at 110 mph just doesn’t get close to your 80’s 911. I doubt your insurance company would share the same view a Longstone.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.  I personally hate the big sidewall look and hate the idea of low performance tyres on a 911, but each to their own.

You can now get Michelin PS4s in the right 16 inch sizes for cheap prices - £72/£135 at Tyreleader.  An incredible, state of the art, high performance tyre with class leading wet and dry performance.  If I was in the market, I would be all over that.

On 11/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, Busybee said:

Michelin TB's on 15" deep dish rims do look epic in the flesh. A couple of cars had that look at Boxengasse and they were very lovely indeed. Probably ride like a blancmange but hey, they look cool 😂

Now you’re talking my language!  In period these were the tyres that were available and were raced on right. In my opinion a classic car should wear appropriate shoes...

5F3F7206-3F1D-4311-B8D9-4BEE46444B3B.jpeg

They do look fab. Lot of the RSR Reps run these. They are big money though so prepare yourself. A set of braid 15" wide ass fuchs rsr reps and Michie TB's will probably cost 4 or 5K these days 🙈 But sooo cool 

9 minutes ago, Busybee said:

They do look fab. Lot of the RSR Reps run these. They are big money though so prepare yourself. A set of braid 15" wide ass fuchs rsr reps and Michie TB's will probably cost 4 or 5K these days 🙈 But sooo cool 

4 or 5k for wheels and tyres :o I'm never going to be that cool :unsure:

Just now, World Citizen said:

4 or 5k for wheels and tyres :o I'm never going to be that cool :unsure:

Chicken feed for the F1 fraternity young man. Guess its all relative right. An RSR rep is worth what? 60k, 70k? 5K in the scheme of that isn't so crazy. If Daisy had an RSR type big hp motor in her, new paint and a duck, she'd be begging for a set of those. 

5 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Chicken feed for the F1 fraternity young man. Guess its all relative right. An RSR rep is worth what? 60k, 70k? 5K in the scheme of that isn't so crazy. If Daisy had an RSR type big hp motor in her, new paint and a duck, she'd be begging for a set of those. 

yes all relative, billy bargain compared to £0.75 million on brake pads and disc for 2 F1 cars for a season

wheels make or break a car in my eyes so worth splashing out a bit

I've always loved those Michelin TB's but how long do they last? I'm assuming they are fairly soft rubber? Mad prices, but in context as you say for a 70k + car then not so un-realistic. Good job mine is only worth half that 😉

1 minute ago, MarkJ said:

I've always loved those Michelin TB's but how long do they last? I'm assuming they are fairly soft rubber? Mad prices, but in context as you say for a 70k + car then not so un-realistic. Good job mine is only worth half that 😉

I think you can get them in different hardness compounds Mark. They do look the part right 😍

I suppose its not un-realistic to expect them to last a few years too if you factor in most of us do less than 6-8k a year in our IB's. Problem is I would want to use them on track too :D but at those prices might resist and use spare boots !

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

This ^^^^.  Even the harder compound will be toast on one euro Alps trip.  They are soft.

For performance, the TBs are really good, but the PZero Corsa  tyres that are used on the SCRS, Stratos etc on the semi-historic rallies are even better.  The Pirellis on 16 inch Fuchs or custom offset Image wheels or Campags etc would be smarter than 15s and TBs.  And cheaper.  And some brakes (ie., Daisy) won't fit under 15s.

1870996105_carlossainzSCRS.jpg.18e2fe31b7ffc58e9b4f68a09bd18a6c.jpg

Don't panic Captain. Not changing to 15's. Love the wheels on Daisy. Only thing I'd be tempted with is a set of the BBS style image wheels to do away with the spacers. In gold with polished rims. But at £2k+, I'm making do. What are a good set of track day tyres for Daisy and the RS Day at Oulton in March? 888's? 

The Michelin tyres are not always available in the size or compound needed ,seem to go in or out stock as I suppose they make batch to order. the Pirelli tyres get good reports but like the tb's are also about £350 each What's the thoughts on the alpine trip on r888 rubber,not driven on them yet,but there what I have??hopefully it will stay dry.

my car has taken so long to do it now seems the 17" wheels I have got no one is doing wide tyres for ,the new r888r in 17" only goes to 255 wide.i may need to get a smaller back rim to suit ,but not the look I wanted.need the 17" wheel now as I changed the brakes to suit😠

On 11/21/2019 at 3:30 AM, Richard Bernau said:

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.  I personally hate the big sidewall look and hate the idea of low performance tyres on a 911, but each to their own.

9 hours ago, Busybee said:

Don't panic Captain. Not changing to 15's. 

A lot of folks hate on 15’s but they seem to be the sweet spot for road cars in terms of fun. I’m getting a set of 15’s for this reason, less mechanical grip and hopefully lighten the steering a bit. I prefer the period look as well.

I really liked the 15's I had on for a while, the car felt so agile on them with the lower unsprung weight (noticeably) but it buggered up my gearing on most tracks, having to upshift when I didn't really want to, so I gave up on them and went back to 16's.