Vintage racer wheel look (what fat tyres)

19 hours ago, Busybee said:

Don't panic Captain. Not changing to 15's. Love the wheels on Daisy. Only thing I'd be tempted with is a set of the BBS style image wheels to do away with the spacers. In gold with polished rims. But at £2k+, I'm making do. What are a good set of track day tyres for Daisy and the RS Day at Oulton in March? 888's? 

I sold the car to Alex on 888s - 225/45 and 245/45.  It works very well on them.  The front end in particular is just remarkable and quite different to road tyres.  Very pointy and just holds a line at higher speeds than you can achieve on taller sidewalled road tyres.

9 hours ago, 786 said:

A lot of folks hate on 15’s but they seem to be the sweet spot for road cars in terms of fun. I’m getting a set of 15’s for this reason, less mechanical grip and hopefully lighten the steering a bit. I prefer the period look as well.

It depends what you want.  I had a set of 15s during my ownership of Daisy (narrow body days) and I didn't think they added anything (contrast to Mark).  Either in lighter feel, lower unsprung weight or real gearing reduction.  If I had a 2.7RS rep then, I think they work well on those because of the aesthetic, but with 205/50 & 225/50 tyres (if you can get decent tyres), so you get a modern-ish drive/feel.  I liked Daisy on 8/9x16s with 205/50 & 225/50s.  So, narrow tyres, but stretched and choosing a tyre that had stiff sidewalls and consistent breakaway.  Fun in the slow corners but not scary in the quick stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Andy911 said:

Definitely the money shot, Viper Green has to be my favorite 911 colour also. Great colour, great curves, fantastic stance, great shot- pure art.

I'd have that photo on my wall if my wife would let me. Viper Green, Signal Yellow, Guards Red and Blood Orange. The coolest colours of all time. 

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

I'd have that photo on my wall if my wife would let me. Viper Green, Signal Yellow, Guards Red and Blood Orange. The coolest colours of all time. 

2 hours ago, Andy911 said:

Definitely the money shot, Viper Green has to be my favorite 911 colour also. Great colour, great curves, fantastic stance, great shot- pure art.

Sorry guys. Whilst it’s a great car, great colour, great wheel/tyre combo and composition, those reflections are simply poorly applied photo editing effects, and could be done better.

14 minutes ago, GrahamTompkins said:

Sorry guys. Whilst it’s a great car, great colour, great wheel/tyre combo and composition, those reflections are simply poorly applied photo editing effects, and could be done better.

Really? I just think it’s studio lighting

You can see that by the light on the top of the tyre I’d say. 

10 hours ago, Busybee said:

I'd have that photo on my wall if my wife would let me. Viper Green, Signal Yellow, Guards Red, Blood Orange and of course, Arrow Blue. The coolest colours of all time. 

Fixed that for you ;)

Having looked at the pic again, agree with Graham. Still a good pic though.

• johndglynn changed the title to Vintage racer wheel look (what fat tyres)
  • 5 months later...
28 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Track day/performance tyres. Are 888’s still good or anything better out there with a 205/55 and 245/45 16” fitment? 

I preferred the R1R over the 888 , good on road as well  , plus can handle water

R1R No longer available maybe as I can’t find it listed in the usual sites. In fact, finding a set of matching 205/55 and 245/45 in 16’s is just not happening. Arghhh! 🤔☹️

V70’s worked well for me. Hard rear & medium front was a very good combination for track days. They seemed to be a couple of clicks up on 888’s and allowed extra track time without turning to mush.

However, many of the ‘budget’ brands - Federal, Nankang etc have started to produce track day tyres. They seem to get very good reviews and will almost certainly be better for circuit driving when compared to premium road biased tyres.

Bloke at my mot station has a powerful track day Golf,  he did a track day at Donnington recently on new fittted Nankang tyres and couldn’t believe our good the grip was.

2 hours ago, strosek34 said:

Bloke at my mot station has a powerful track day Golf,  he did a track day at Donnington recently on new fittted Nankang tyres and couldn’t believe our good the grip was.

Lots on the Anglesey track day were running on Nankangs. Flavour of the track month