Garage Lighting

chodosh

I am making good progress with a decent size extension at home. Unfortunately I have lost a metre and a half off the garage, but its still about 7 metres long so adequate space for a car and tools. Nice thing is that the overall height will raise to just under 3m so I am also considering a parking lift -  perhaps a stretch but would be nice to keep the Mini and the Corvette in the garage. 

On the consideration of good working light, I am having a skylight fitted at the front end of the garage to get some daylight but really have no idea of what I should be looking at for lighting wise. I would like to guess that 4 long strip lights would be appropriate with them mounted perpendicular to the garage door in 2 rows of 2 with independent switching for near and far.

What lights have people fitted? Traditional fluorescent tubes? LED? where have you sources from? Screwfix? Amazon?

feedback welcome. This will be my man cave - need to get it right.

Garage sounds fab, nice work.

Got to be LED for lights, I have these in my garage and they are great:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RTWPLED25.html

I even use them as work lights under the car as they are very robust and I have fitted each one with a 3 pin plug so can be unclipped and used anywhere.

You can find cheaper alternatives but the output is often less so make sure you get all the specs and compare apples to apples.

I went for two 5 foot (double tube) fluorescent light fittings from Wickes (in a single garage) and they work really well, give off lots of light, and not expensive. The garage is really bright.

However, the best thing I did was paint to walls white with masonry paint - I found this made a big difference given the light is reflected and not just absorbed by the walls. Paint the floor too!

I used fluro tubes until I started spraying. Then I swapped to the LED batons that Jonny linked to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really can't beat the LED/flouro tubes.  My garage is now semi-converted to outdoor games and living and I have lost the tubes due to aesthetics.  I also sprayed the ceiling dark grey and painted the walls a mid blue.  It looks great and industrial, but you can't see a thing despite having about 600w of lighting (double garage).  I had to buy a tripod with 2 x 300w LED floodlights for when I need more light.

Detailing places often have tubes on the wall as well as the ceiling if you really want lots of light and ability to see under the car.

4 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

You really can't beat the LED/flouro tubes. 

Detailing places often have tubes on the wall as well as the ceiling if you really want lots of light and ability to see under the car.

I'm planning to use LED's but panels not strip lights in my shed

Undecided for the garage, panels give a more uniform intensity but strip lights are good for looking at light lines on bodywork

Great idea with wall lights, low down could work well for under car work

Think I'll do some playing with positions before committing

1 hour ago, World Citizen said:

Great idea with wall lights, low down could work well for under car work

After a bit of experimenting I fitted mine at 45 deg angle in the corner between wall and ceiling all round the work area, seems to throw the light better than mounting them flat against the wall or ceiling.

16 minutes ago, mean in green said:

Installing at differing heights if the space lends itself to that is a great idea.

Half of the lights I fitted I used adjustable suspension mounts a bit like these (with a 45 deg adapter): https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RTWPSK.html A bit flimsy but the few times I've needed light at a different height they have been canny useful.

Once you go LED batten you don't go back!

18 minutes ago, jevvy said:

After a bit of experimenting I fitted mine at 45 deg angle in the corner between wall and ceiling all round the work area, seems to throw the light better than mounting them flat against the wall or ceiling.

Half of the lights I fitted I used adjustable suspension mounts a bit like these (with a 45 deg adapter): https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/RTWPSK.html A bit flimsy but the few times I've needed light at a different height they have been canny useful.

Once you go LED batten you don't go back!

Who thought lighting could be so interesting??

I like the Idea of mounting them in the corners. If I fit a 2 post lift, keeping the ceiling clear of potential obstructions is also something I am trying to keep in mind (aside from the whopping great lump of steel!!). Did you just mount them to some MDF with some kind of brackets ?

At the moment the walls are simple brickwork - would painting them make much of a difference with light reflection?

I am leaning towards 5 battens. 2 x 2 and one at a right angle facing inwards from the roller door. That should be plenty as the garage is 3.5 metres wide and 7ish metres long.

1 hour ago, chodosh said:

At the moment the walls are simple brickwork - would painting them make much of a difference with light reflection?

Yes - white masonry paint will make a huge difference in the brightness of the garage.

I’ve just bought 10 of these. Very light. Super bright and only £7 ish each. Fixing clips are useless but I’m installing on steel purlins so white zip ties on the white ends to hold them up. Not finished installing yet but I’ve hooked one up and it’s a great light https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163868073660

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Looks good - though I would say that ;) 

I think I need more lights...

Can't argue Rich. Thing of beauty. The Led strip lights I bought were cheap as chips. Under £7 a batten and quite bright. They're not industrial quality but at that price, who cares. Fitting on a flat surface might not be so easy as the clips are useless. Luckily, I was fixing to purlins so drilled holes for cables and am zip tying then on using another couple of holes. 

3 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Nice big garage there Haith! You need some more cars in there 😋

Lol Thanks. It's not really my garage Rich. I've pinched a bit from our warehouse to feed my car obsession. When I retire though, mine all mine - unless the Mrs has her way and we end up in France that is. 

• 11 months later...

Old topic but wanted to thank Busybee as just had mezzanine floor put in workshop so needed some light underneath.

Looked at lots of options, prices etc and finally decided to go with the ones you fitted. 

Result is great, these are so cheap to buy, really not worth debating going for something else as the light they put out is excellent.

Fitted mine in 3 different zones/separate switches, (4 above the car, 2 on side columns and 3 above work area) as don't always want them on all at once.

No lights / only side column lights / all on. 

C0F1094E-67D9-448A-82BC-EC68CAFEDDDE.JPEG

AA48B89A-80CA-4C2D-9C41-C3E7AE31F2AC.JPEG

D98725C8-8BF0-46F4-8E2F-CBCE1CAE13AF.JPEG

2AE32B26-8E74-4FCC-8A23-583933310951.JPEG