TPS

Merv

I probably should have posted this here, but probably the same respondents.

My throttle position sensor 'should',  if I understand the Bentley correctly, trigger the WOT/Full throttle response?  I can hear the microswitch at the back of the throttle/accelerator lever clicking off IDLE, but no click noise when the accelerator lever is fully open (WOT).  I checked that when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed, that the throttle is fully open at the throttle body.

More importantly, I checked the continuity across the top two terminals on the TPS and there is none.  I rotated the TPS back and forth and opened and closed the throttle - and still no continuity. I am not sure if this should be done with the ignition ON (but motor not) or without power?

So I am getting full throttle action but the sensor may not be telling that to the DME?

What are the options?  Remove the TPS and replace it? 

Can these even be repaired? 

Thanks .  I not doing the SW chip replacement, at this stage.  I have removed the TPS and no continuity at any point in the rotation of the inner mechanism.  The halves are thoroughly glued together.  I am reluctant to open it?

Yes I had read that and tested the continuity at the TPS as the throttle is depressed and it doesn't change (open circuit) from idle to WOT.  Mine is 0280120309 Bosch part.  The ones on Pelican and the usual suppliers are all 0280120308 - I suspect that they are the same.

Edited by Merv

Edit: Removed the TPS and set it up on the bench with proper connectors and was ready to split it to find out what the problem was.  Beforehand I gave it a good spray out with automotive contact cleaner and then vacuumed it out gently.  Now it works! I get continuity around 80% throttle opening.  Will re-install and test again there.

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Edit: Removed the TPS and set it up on the bench with proper connectors and was ready to split it to find out what the problem was.  Beforehand I gave it a good spray out with automotive contact cleaner and then vacuumed it out gently.  Now it works! I get continuity around 80% throttle opening.  Will re-install and test again there.

Spoke too soon.  Now it is kaput again with no continuity anywhere.  Will need to open the thing and see what the problem is.