Oulton RS Day 2020

rainer

3 hours ago, Busybee said:

Tried again using another App on my wife's phone. Max 110db! That's more as I expected. Do they take an average or peak reading does anyone know? 

Static , 1 test about 6200 rpm  , if it fails pack it with crap and go and get a retest , if there’s one tester (not looking at revs) Rev to 5k , if Jev is there get Babs to noise test it as she gets anything through 😀

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From past experience, Daisy will test at a fraction over 105db at 4500rpm if warm and in neutral with clutch depressed.  That's the best case.  With inserts and some fibreglass muffler wadding stuffed in the tailpipes, you could get down to about 103db.  It varied a bit based on prevalent atmospherics - a cold damp day (so any early morning UK track day), it will read louder as sound transmits better.  It also seems that many track days test in places with walls not so far behind, which makes the test results higher than I ever got at home with my own noise meter.  So, I think you are in the territory of having to take remedial actions no matter what.  But then you knew that already.

I once heard a story that Tuthills would always noise test cars with an old blanket folded and draped over the top of the engine to damp some of the mechanical noise which you otherwise cannot get rid of and which is a significant part of the noise.  Careful not to suck it into the fan I guess.  Its another trick you may want to consider. 

Thanks fellas. Fingers crossed. If all else fails, I'll break out the moobs and see if that gets the tester going 

Spare 911. The GT3 maybe? I can't even take the boxster cause that's loud as hell lol 

Choice 1: GT3 with a poorly exhaust but new (heated!) buckets and fresh Cup2s

Choice 2: The old smoker, that def passes the noise test as have been round Oulton a few times. It's the spare!

My business partner is coming up in the hot rod and hopefully they'll let us swap cars at lunch if we ask nicely. Literally done nothing to it - just been dumped in the garage for 4 months, and as always started up immediately and ran beautifully yesterday! Brilliant!

Edited by reddevil

14 hours ago, topcarrera said:

Wish I had booked now!   Weather looks good for today, hope everyone has a great day - take it easy!

Cracking weather chap and some lovely cars on circuit.  Great to catch up with Rainer and feel the quality of the carpet on his accelerator pedal 😂

Epic IB fail though; shame it wasn’t like old times 😉

7 hours ago, swift911 said:

Popped in to watch for a couple of hours. Good to catch up with Rainer and Haith. It was great to see both your cars in the flesh. All in all, some fantastic cars, and the sun was out for a change.

Great seeing you Bob. Wales soon 👍

Good to see rob and Raymond too 👍

B754CEEE-30F7-4BF0-9906-0E26F22CAC74.jpeg

8814EBB3-FFDC-47E5-A802-282A8AF91EFB.jpeg

Btw, got a lucky touch on the sound thing. Didn’t test me. We laughed our socks off when I kept firing balls of wire wool out of the exhaust when we got there. Every time I pulled out, out they came 😂

31 minutes ago, Boydyrs said:

Great day, Time passed to quickly. 

Lovely meeting you Raymond. You're right, went far too quickly. How lucky were we with the weather. Your car - fab 👍

Thanks Mark. I was ok once I got my eye in (first time at oulton). The gt cars deffo pulled away on the straights.
Had a passenger ride in a friends pdk 991.2 GT3. Flipping heck it was rapid. With the PDK though, there really wasn’t that much to do. Steer, brake, accelerate. None of the finesse required using the gears. 
Can’t wait to get the 3.8 lump in there and take on the gt cars 😂

Have to be honest though, and I’m sure I’ve said it before, RB’s work on Daisy is just brilliant. The car is pretty boring at low speeds. Kind of why go through the loss of luxuries, noise etc. But then when you get on it, it all makes sense. It just clicks. Driving home, my mates 996 jubilee and edition 1 cayman just couldn’t live with the handling of daisy in the twisties. Both have over 50hp and 80hp on me at the moment but it just grips, digs in and slingshots out of bends. Just can’t wait to have the grunt to match in the straights. 

The thing about the IB is you really can exploit it to the limit, road or track, which is more difficult in the stiffer and heavier modern stuff.

At Oulton though Old Hall (1st corner) and Island Bend you can be a lot more committed in the IB. 

Island Bend as a case study, we were taking it about 90mph and then direct into a big braking zone, no sweat and leaving nothing on the table in the old car. I don’t think I was travelling significantly faster in the GT3, but it probably would have pushed through easily at another 10mph-15mph.

Well setup older cars give you so much confidence, they talk to you more about what they are about to do - with less weight and power things don’t seem to get out of shape as quickly and are easier to predict, catch and correct.

Equally you can open that throttle fully much earlier without as many consequences which I think is key to exploiting them (and them being easier to drive fast) on the road in the real world.

Or perhaps I have just been driving my IB for longer and am used to giving it a massive spanking!