Oulton RS Day 2020

rainer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone else wanting to do this but being late to the party, sign up to the reserve list. Last few years I've always got a call. I think everyone books this early without knowing calendars and they have lots of drop off.

Edited by reddevil

7 hours ago, MarkJ said:

wow that Airbnb looks great, i'd chip in for somewhere like that to stay rather than spanking money at the Swan. Is it near a pub?  ;)

Red Lion is very close.  Fantastic place.  We book ahead when we're racing there because it is always busy.  I have never had a bad meal or a bad pint there.

Edited by oliverjamesthomas

So, 3 of us booked this. We were thinking of taking a scenic route up through Wales on the Thursday to our stop over the night before. If anyone fancies joining in the convoy, let me know. Some superb roads from this neck of the woods. #RoadTrip

6 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I use a similar part:

https://jetex.co.uk/product/decibel-insert-2-5-inch-aluminised-steel-l280mm/

Packed with wire wool and a smile for the noise tester we have been lucky so far. I remove them as soon as the static test has been passed and take it easy until the track gets a bit busier.

Cheers Jev. I’ll have a measure up to see which will fit. Do these bolt on? The gt3 style exhaust I have has holes ready to mount downturn silencers that Rich B has and I’m hopefully buying but I reckon she’ll need all the help she can get reducing noise. Started her up yesterday in the shed and by god she’s loud 😬 Sounds epic at tick over, must be mental outside at full chat 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still trying to decide between GT3 and IB for this.

GT3 silencers are past their best so might be a bit noisy, although I seem to recall straight piped RSRs being allowed on track - are they a little lax with the noise test for the RS day?

No Chris; they are anything but lax.  Noise is a massive issue at the minute and the lengths MSV go to in appeasing the locals really are immense.  They simply could not be more accommodating and they run extremely strict noise control as part of it.  If you’re in any doubt, don’t risk it.  

Anyone with a dB meter near Worcester/Warwick? 😉 Literally never tested it, the few times I've tracked it have been at Donington and I've just lifted under the gantry.

Busybee - been to Oulton a few times in my IB not had a problem, not sure how much noisier Daisy is vs my car (headers, TT 2-in-2-out). It's loud at idle, but at 3/4 revs it's probably a lot quieter than the GT3 at 3/4 revs.....

Mind you it is a 105dB static limit, which is already pretty generous.

You can get a db meter as a phone app. Beware, they are not very accurate but you could perhaps calibrate the phone one against a real one and then you could tell with a bit more confidence at home.

Chris.

I usually come with the PCI mob- but away in France for a birthday party this year.

I bought  Jaffa a few years back- and failed the noise test- I didn’t think she was that loud!

Problem solved by  Richard Chamberlain fitting two noise restrictors- and doing the test himself- with feathered throttle😎

Dont miss the 2nd annual DDK swapmeet at Greatworth on the Sunday- good weekend!

How do they carry out the noise test guys?
Have a pair of bent silencer pipes bought from RB and they do quieten things down considerably. Just need to work out how to attach them. There are holes in the TT gt silencer pipes on the underside but none on the bent mufflers. Thought I’d align pointing down and drill the bent mufflers but need a mechanical (and quickly and easily removable) method of fixing the silencer pipes and the bent muffler pipes. At a guess, 1mm thick stainless each. Thought about rivnuts but they protrude a bit so may stop the bent muffler pipes sliding on. Plus the bit inside would be inside the muffler tips. Small as they are, don’t really want to leave anything obstructing the exhaust. Tapping 1mm steel isn’t much of a fixing. A bent pin?

Edited by Busybee