Aluminium v Plywood

Phill

Looking forward to see how you benders get on. 

Sorry, couldn't resist! 

David - mdf is fine if things kept nice and dry, but even MR MDF puffs up like a mo-f when damp. Looks like you sealed it up though which will help.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, a group buy? Sorry, had the wrong end of that stick again........................................happy to do this but only if the management are ok with it.

Picked up a piece of 6mm plywood.  Had a go at kerf cutting and steaming. Got the bend but because the ply was poor quality it fell part. £1.50 and some time wasted. I'm sacking trying to bend ply, too time consuming.

ABS seems a bit expensive to buy in small pieces so I am going to have a look at Foamex and possibly HDPE. I will get an offcut of Foamex from a sign maker and see how strong it is and how easy to bend.

I expect, after I have wasted some more money and lots of time, I will end up buying one of Matt's ABS boards. Still, got to try.........

Edited by Phill

Hi There,

I can try bending some Foamex tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I've got some leftover 5mm which seems about as rigid as MDF of  equivalent thickness without the moisture issues. I used 2mm thick aluminium sheet to replace my foot boards which is really easy to work with and rigid enough. I would have thought that 5mm Foamex would be fine behind the pedals where all its doing if holing up the carpet but may be not be strong enough on the passenger side especially if the  passenger starts braking for you.

Rich

18 minutes ago, rich73 said:

No don't think so, the aluminium is though. You could always add strengthening to the back of the Foamex if it wasn't rigid enough. 

So, 2mm Ali is strong enough? What about weight? Heavier, lighter than ply? Ali is easy to shape and cut.

5 minutes ago, Type911 said:

Abs is 580g

30g ........maybe get your legs waxed to compensate?

Had my haircut today, that should do it and I hoovered out under the board, that definitely did it.

Just for fun I calculated the bending stiffness of two flat panels of equal weight: one made out of plywood and one made of aluminium.

A 3-ply birch panel (3.6 mm thickness) oriented in the right direction has about 11 times the bending stiffness of a flat aluminium panel of the same weight. However, in the perpendicular direction (i.e. with the bending load not aligned with the fibres on the "skins") the plywood panel is about 30% less stiff than the aluminium panel of the same weight.

A 5-ply birch panel (6.4 mm thickness), however, is about 11 times stiffer in the strong direction and about 4 times stiffer in the weak direction.

It would be interesting to compare those numbers with a dimple died aluminium panel. I guess aluminium would become much more competitive.