Impact Bumpers
Phill

Aluminium v Plywood

2 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

Just for fun I calculated the bending stiffness of two flat panels of equal weight: one made out of plywood and one made of aluminium.

A 3-ply birch panel (3.6 mm thickness) oriented in the right direction has about 11 times the bending stiffness of a flat aluminium panel of the same weight. However, in the perpendicular direction (i.e. with the bending load not aligned with the fibres on the "skins") the plywood panel is about 30% less stiff than the aluminium panel of the same weight.

A 5-ply birch panel (6.4 mm thickness), however, is about 11 times stiffer in the strong direction and about 4 times stiffer in the weak direction.

It would be interesting to compare those numbers with a dimple died aluminium panel. I guess aluminium would become much more competitive.

Dimple died?

1 hour ago, Type911 said:

:whistling: I do other things for fun............:P

Never been a fan of knitting.

8 minutes ago, Phill said:

Dimple died?

I guess I made the word up 😆This is what I meant:

image.thumb.png.b77e1276e3578d522accdbc2fed8b1e6.png

What you guys need is a honeycomb core structure with a very thin ally tension and compression face. Might cost a few grand but I bet it'll save a few grams 🤣

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

What you guys need is a honeycomb core structure with a very thin ally tension and compression face. Might cost a few grand but I bet it'll save a few grams 🤣

Your on the right track BB, carbon would be stiffer and lighter, at a guess 0.5mm thick carbon on the foot side (make it tolerant to passenger high heels panic braking) and 0.25mm carbon on the other side. No dimples just skateboard grip tape

Think 2/3rds lighter could be doable, would be a bit spendy though :twocents:

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

Your on the right track BB, carbon would be stiffer and lighter, at a guess 0.5mm thick carbon on the foot side (make it tolerant to passenger high heels panic braking) and 0.25mm carbon on the other side. No dimples just skateboard grip tape

Think 2/3rds lighter could be doable, would be a bit spendy though :twocents:

Lol Was waiting for the lightweighter in the team. Lets do it Stephen. Ultra low weight parts for classic cars. Big bucks for less mass! Citizen Bee productions! 

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a Bee! :rlol:

10 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Lol Was waiting for the lightweighter in the team. Lets do it Stephen. Ultra low weight parts for classic cars. Big bucks for less mass! Citizen Bee productions! 

Floats like a butterfly, stings like a Bee! :rlol:

:D Citizen Bee Productions, I can smell the money!

Just buy Matthew’s one and leave the iPhone at home to save a few grams!?......skip lunch and another kilo saved.......bl@@dy Nora, what are we coming to with this ‘effing nonsense?

David

37 minutes ago, David Gander said:

Just buy Matthew’s one and leave the iPhone at home to save a few grams!?......skip lunch and another kilo saved.......bl@@dy Nora, what are we coming to with this ‘effing nonsense?

David

I’m filling my underpants with helium and dieting from now till the alps trip David! 😂

41 minutes ago, David Gander said:

David

Now where was that fishing meme Lewis posted when you need it :rlol:

33 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Now where was that fishing meme Lewis posted when you need it :rlol:

giphy.gif 

You rang? 

Glad to see that you’re taking this seriously Haith, inert gasses not withstanding! Nitrogen in the tyres and properly gassy food (methane rises!). My Wife often says I’m full of hot air so I’m on the case! As Colin Chapman was want to often say “Add lightness”. With my growing circumference, I’d just prefer to add horses!......there ‘aint no substitute!

D.