Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
PeterK

Calipers - to split or not

'79 SC Targa

I've dismantled my callipers, ready to rebuild.  Before I rebuild though, I want to get them plated and then paint over the plating (for extra protection) but have a quandary......

Q1 - If I don't split the callipers, will the plating damage any internal seals.

Q2 - If I split the callipers, and assuming that there are joining seals, where can I get them (not shown at the usual places) ?

Thanks

Peter

.. or is it part number 93035158001 - spacer sleeve.  16 needed  ?@ £11.75+VAT at D911 😱

Edited by PeterK

Those are for a turbo Pete. If you really want to split them, and I wouldn't, you should be able to reuse the o ring seal, I have never seen them available anywhere.

For what it costs I'd get them done by the recommended refurb (whoever it is used on here)  They'll come back all nice and shiny for not a massive outlay.

40 minutes ago, Nige said:

For what it costs I'd get them done by the recommended refurb (whoever it is used on here)  They'll come back all nice and shiny for not a massive outlay.

good advice, I'd do the same too

With needing new pistons and plating, Matt's recon front callipers seem a good idea !  Shame that I've already bought the seal kits :-(.  

+1 - mine still look good after 4  years albeit no winter use

Would not do this, if you split them, for safety you will also need new bolts /nuts. 

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk