Upgrade. Daily Boxster .2

Busybee

And filthy it got! What a fab run out and what a great car. 3 generations of Boxster/cay. 

Sceptical about torque vectoring and the diff. Didn’t think I’d feel at high road speeds. How wrong I was. This thing goes round corners so, so well. If you’ve not tried one with, I’d recommend. Soaks up all the road bumps (pasm off) but stiff enough to corner on rails. 

Carnewal GT is aurally more beneficial to those behind apparently. With the roof down and giving it some, I could hear it but it’s not loud. Probably a good thing after Daisy lol. Louder with roof on. It’s a lovely grunty noise. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the blast out. Christmas cobwebs blown off.  

4C2E9FBE-DD61-4688-9C79-E9C8E87085F0.jpeg

95F7D396-2155-4FEE-933A-2621A3262B31.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Little update on my new to me 981. Few problems. 

After fitting the carnewal mufflers I had a check engine light. Obd reader on it and it was a lambda sensor. No big deal. Under warranty so got it sorted at OPC Cardiff.

Took it out for a blast the day after getting it home and whilst under load (about 6k rpm) I heard the exhaust note change slightly. Then the CEL came back on again and I felt the power dip at higher revs.

Diagnosed as an inefficient catalyst on my little obd reader. Back to OPC Cardiff and They said it was a valve lift solenoid. I wasn’t convinced so took it to my friendly Indy. He put his piwis on it and confirmed it. Two codes, the valve lift solenoid and the inefficient catalyst. My Indy did a bit of research. His mate at a n other OPC told him it sounded like a collapsing catalyst restricting flow. Had to go with OPC really as it was clearly showing a solenoid fault.

OPC Cardiff replaced the solenoid under warranty again. All good I thought. Took it home and as soon as I could open her up, the reduced power at the higher revs was still on there. Back to OPC last week. They removed the lambda sensor before the cat and borescoped it. Collapsing catalyst ☹️ Not a warranty item. 

Ive taken the plung and ordered carnewal 200 cell cat headers. OPC won’t fit so off to my Indy next week to get those on. Hoping bolts are all good and no probs fitting. 

Looking forward to a bit more volume and an estimated 12hp power hike. Mostly looking forward to driving it with full power and less grief. Hell of a car though. The latest ones must be insane. 

latest ones got GPF and sound is more muted. imo you got the sweet spot.

For me a perfect wales trash would be in a Boxster GTS manual with buckets

8 minutes ago, axel said:

latest ones got GPF and sound is more muted. imo you got the sweet spot.

For me a perfect wales trash would be in a Boxster GTS manual with buckets

Yup. I’ve watched a couple of reviews on the new 4.0 gts/Spyder/gt4 and some talk about the reduced noise. One of those with a sports system and remap? But then no warranty. 

I was talking to salesman at the OPC. He said the sweet spot as far as the Boxster cayman range is the 981 Spyder. 385hp, 3.8 litre, looks awesome and no GPF. I was next to one on track at Pembrey and they do sound incredible both at high revs and the overrun. Crack pop! 

Further update on my cats. Thought I’d try convincing my warranty company that the cat failed as a consequence of the valve lift solenoid failure. Didn’t hold out much hope. Called them Monday and they said no. Exhaust system is excluded. Thought I’d push it as had nothing to loose and asked to speak to one of their managers. They arranged a call back. 
Tuesday had a call from someone up the chain and he said his colleague was in error and they’d cover the cat collapse. Result! 
Today, the cats, bolts and gaskets arrived from carnewal. Woohoo! Booked with an Indy to fit so fingers crossed in a few days I finally get the car I wanted with a little more oomph, noise and drama. 

29FAC763-24E3-49D9-A997-27854C112E5B.jpeg

251E989B-94A7-4839-81B9-CCF8064CEAC3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Mark. God loves a tryer ;) 

It sounds epic now btw. 200 cell cats and the freer flowing back boxes have made a huge impact on the car. Sounds much more serious, sporty, fun! I need one of those Apeman cams Rich just bought and I'll do a vid. Either that or gaffa my phone to the bumper! 😂

I'm thinking BMC air filters next 

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

I'm thinking BMC air filters next 

Induction noise is where it’s at Haith! I’ve got a BMC induction kit on the CR and it is epic!

It even got a complement from Pete at Center Gravity the other week 😋

• 1 month later...

Fab drive out today. Thought the roads would be empty but plenty of panic shoppers about unfortunately. Mostly self isolated at the national speed limit or thereabouts. Pics for doc of my local dogging spot as usual. 

I must be mad but the carnewal gt exhaust and 200 cell headers could be louder. Yes I can hear them and they have a lovely burble on the overrun but to me, could be louder without being antisocial. I’d say I was going deaf but I wear headphones in the proper loud asbo car. 

218A7E3B-9DA7-4369-B44D-DFFC3DF1F705.jpeg

24B955BA-2476-4DEB-BD4C-2627A0876407.jpeg

BB, nail it, make that exhaust wail, if you get pulled speeding, just get out and walk towards the plod with a fake hacking cough, I guarantee you won't get done 😂

PS you car looks ace 😍

Edited by World Citizen

• 3 months later...

Have been thinking of swapping this one out for something a little more exclusive but every time I drive it, I think “you must be nuts!”. It’s a very nice car to drive. 
So I got to thinking, how can I make it nicer. A little more shove maybe. Better tyres are on the cards, Michelin PS4S. Going in for a service soon. Anyone have any experience with a softronics or FVD Brombacher tune?
The FVD setup with a larger throttle body, plenum and BMC air filters, Together with their tune is circa a 55hp uplift they say (already run 209cell cats and free breathing mufflers) and is about £2500. Softronics can tune in pops n bangs lol 

2 hours ago, Busybee said:

circa a 55hp uplift they say 

And I have a bridge to sell you.

I can highly recommend the PS4S.  The best all weather tyre I have ever used.

I do think you are right at a sweet spot already on PtoW though.  I get the serial modding bug (card carrying member myself), but do you really think you will gain much chasing minimal hp gains on the GTS?