Door speakers

My door speakers are looking quite sad, the cone material has started to disintegrate! Does anyone know if you can still buy the Alpine 6253 or have they been replaced?

The grille covers have cracked and could do with replacing too, so are these still available from OPC?

Richard

You are better off replacing them with something better, I fitted JBL's in mine, the grill is subtle and not a blight thing, so looks fine.

Best way to find out is to ring your nearest OPC or ask Matt on here

• 4 months later...

Hi, can I bring up the door speakers debate again please? I am determined to get a good quality music sound in my '89 3.2 (cabriolet)!                                                Checking advise from earlier forums , I settled on Focal K2 power 130KR's.  But apparently these have been discontinued, replaced by ES130K's  (about £250).

Has anyone fitted these?  Not sure if they will look "in character" with the car, and not sure if the small tweeters will fit ok (original grill 3.5" diameter).

I presume the external cross overs will hide behind the door card somewhere? 

Would much appreciate some advice on the subject. 

Cheers,  Rob. 

On 15/05/2020 at 12:05, Rob McManus said:

Has anyone fitted these?  Not sure if they will look "in character" with the car, and not sure if the small tweeters will fit ok (original grill 3.5" diameter).

I presume the external cross overs will hide behind the door card somewhere?

The 130KS looks an OK spec for modern speakers. You can hide the crossovers anywhere and just wire into the door. If you are using the mid grille on a later Carrera door, then you could just make up a plate of some sort to mount the tweeter behind the factory grille when you fit. I would experiment with fitting the tweet in an eyeball mount (not sure if Focal offer this but they are out there) on top of the dash and just mounting the woofer in the door. Seal the door up as much as possible behind the door panel.

Make sure your woofer is fixed as securely as possible to the door metal and get some sound deadening in there too 👍🏻

I’ve bought a pair of the Focal 130PS - they look nice but not yet fitted, so can’t comment on performance.  The mounting pcd is slightly smaller than my original SC speakers, so some  creativity will be needed.

I read the suggestion somewhere - I shall hard mount the speakers to the door and mount just the grills to the door card.  If I need to space the speakers forward of the door, that would give me the opportunity to address the mounting hole differences with an MDF adapter.

I went with JBL's, speakers - JBL GTO 6429 & 609C.

This set were a straight swap and did both fronts (main and tweeter inclusive of crossover) and rears. 

Thanks for you comments. I think I will go ahead and order the Focal ES130K's.  I don't think I'll have a problem fitting the small tweeters behind the original grills.

I'll take your advise John on fitting the woofers correctly, as I have been sadly lacking any decent bass in this car for too long (except for the exhaust note of course!).

One daft Question,  why can't I bin the crossover unit that comes with the new speakers, and just connect the speaker cones to the original spade connectors?  Would make the job a lot easier. 

Cheers,  Rob.      

The crossover splits the signal for the bass/mid and high frequencies cones.

Ideally need to be matched to the speakers - hence why you need to use what comes with your speakers.

33 minutes ago, Rob McManus said:

Thanks for that Chris.  I presume the crossover units need to be secured inside the door panels somewhere? 

There looks to be enough space just below or forward of the woofers.

Mine when in the door pocket exactly where the previous ones were located.