K@N air filters

Carrera2

There is often debate about the value of these.  The gains appear very marginal and are outweighed by the potential damage caused by letting more air and therefore more dirt through.  Wisdom appears to be to stick with the standard Porsche item

ian

I got the filter fitted today and the car is running and ticking over nicely no surging in revs so pleased with that. Not really much of of a difference in sound on reving. Not had a chance to run the car yet on the road but hopefully get her out soon. The engine bay certainly looks more spacious and looks better I think.

20191221_173547.jpg

20191221_173529.jpg

• 1 month later...

I changed mine to a K&N dry filter and it does sound better. The biggest improvement was to the engine bay. Changing the filter and performing a heater delete really cleans up the engine bay and exposes those lovely intakes!

F63EB68B-7860-427A-8024-7F224991C9D9.jpeg

18 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

I changed mine to a K&N dry filter and it does sound better. The biggest improvement was to the engine bay. Changing the filter and performing a heater delete really cleans up the engine bay and exposes those lovely intakes!

F63EB68B-7860-427A-8024-7F224991C9D9.jpeg

That is a nice engine bay. I was wondering what the black box was 😀 but never investigated. Love the red parts .

29 minutes ago, Carrera2 said:

That is a nice engine bay. I was wondering what the black box was 😀 but never investigated. Love the red parts .

Thanks! Got the red bits powder coated by a friend who owns a company in Borough Green (Kent). The engine was rebuilt in 2018 and I did it while the bits were off. The trickiest thing was to remove the heater stuff but still route heat to the passenger cabin, had to do a tiny amount of rewiring and ended up with the clean look and not freezing when it's cold.

Edited by SurlySurdi
grammar

Hi Brads,

I also could not find one that fit exactly so I bought one that fit the bolt holes and then machined the inside using a dremel until it matched the shape of the intake on the MAF. I was also careful to make sure there were no rough edges. Hope that helps.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:12 PM, Carrera2 said:

That is neat . What is the set up on yours??

On 12/15/2019 at 2:35 PM, Beaky said:

I like neat and unclustered, but you need more than just filters 🙂

SCS engine kit.jpg

Hi Beaky, can you tell us more about the replacement you've used for the MAF? Is the signal compatible with your original ECU  or did you go full Motronic (£££'s)? Thanks.

11 hours ago, SurlySurdi said:

Hi Beaky, can you tell us more about the replacement you've used for the MAF? Is the signal compatible with your original ECU  or did you go full Motronic (£££'s)? Thanks.

All in my engine rebuild thread - see post 6 above