My 3.2 Carrera Has To Go Outside

oo7

2 hours ago, Lesworth said:

I had to keep mine outdoors over 3 winters (including those bad boys of 2009 and 2010). I bought an ex display carcoon inflatable car cover which worked brilliantly keeping the car ventilated without the cover touching it. The only down side was that it was a bit of a faf when I wanted to use the car as it needed to be unzipped. It was very well made and worked perfectly even after those three winters. As it was only temporary until I could get a garage sorted, I sold it on ebay and got back well over hlf of the original purchase price.

https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor

Great suggestion Les. That’s has got to be the best option , I had no idea you could get an outside carcoon. I have an inside one that I must admit I seldom use as my garages are dry and ventilated by fans, but an outside one deals with the main issues that oo7 has I suggest.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an outdoor carcoon as I cannot build a garage / car port. It works a treat although it does become a barrier to doing those "I will just check" jobs. It only takes a couple of minutes to put the cover on and off, so its more a psychological barrier than anything else. But its definitely not as convenient as opening a door. 

1 hour ago, oo7 said:

Very interesting... quite expensive... I might look at building one myself 🙂

I pay storage costs at ~190/month - I could nearly have afforded this after the 2 years its been in storage and with the right property, could have had the car on the driveway and appropriately insured.

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

I pay storage costs at ~190/month - I could nearly have afforded this after the 2 years its been in storage and with the right property, could have had the car on the driveway and appropriately insured.

Ouch. £190/month Shirish. 🙈 6 months road tax every month. 

I think we're going through a similar scenario, this is my first winter with my 911 and no indoor storage in Dublin. I plan on building a carport but in the meantime I decided to put the car into storage for this winter, the car has been garaged its whole life and this Autumn/Winter has been one of the wettest I can remember so it was a shame to have the car out in it. I got storage in a heated warehouse with CCTV for £10 p/w so couldn't really say no to that, it's around 120 miles away though.  If you do decide to store it during the winter this guy comes recommended and is pretty close https://mrdarcysclassics.com/services/storage.html

I have one of those Clarke car shelters aswell, currently housing my 73 Campervan. The are definitely easier than the carcoon as you zip open and walk in, which also means you can do work under the shelter too. The downside though is you do get condensation on the vehicle during the winter.

MIne sits on the drive under a cover, bought at Goodwood Revival 3-4 years ago.  It's one of the stormproof jobbies, multilayer, breathable types.  Gets some condensation on the bodywork, but nothing major.  Car is not a minter so I am less concerned about the paintwork as it will need re-doing at some stage.  Car is sprayed with Bilt Hamber protection stuff underneath and engine gets a liberal spray with GT-85 from time to time (most recently on Saturday in fact).  Wheels are waxed as is the bodywork.  Only area that I feel needs something extra is the interior, to stop it getting damp and mouldy.  That said, it has been OK so far, with no major signs of unwanted greenery.

Like yours Kev mine in not a minter but that said its not a rust bucket either. My comment above was a little flippant, the reality is of course that a garage is the preferable option but if you do not have access and you are prepared to keep on top of things then you shouldn't have any issues. If i were not going to use the car over the winter then i would look for dry storage options, but i use it all year round.  I have a breathable cover but would now only use it in the summer for UV protection - i found that in winter it would trap moisture and your car would still be damp (on the outside) even on dry days.

These work really well for interiors BTW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pingi-Car-Dehumidifier-Reusable-Anti-Mist-Moisture-Condensation-Absorbing-Bag/263974916247?hash=item3d76219097:g:D8QAAOSwUIxbtziU

1 hour ago, R2D2 said:

Like yours Kev mine in not a minter but that said its not a rust bucket either. My comment above was a little flippant, the reality is of course that a garage is the preferable option but if you do not have access and you are prepared to keep on top of things then you shouldn't have any issues. If i were not going to use the car over the winter then i would look for dry storage options, but i use it all year round.  I have a breathable cover but would now only use it in the summer for UV protection - i found that in winter it would trap moisture and your car would still be damp (on the outside) even on dry days.

These work really well for interiors BTW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pingi-Car-Dehumidifier-Reusable-Anti-Mist-Moisture-Condensation-Absorbing-Bag/263974916247?hash=item3d76219097:g:D8QAAOSwUIxbtziU

Mrs J has been told minimum double garage for the next house.  Actually, I am not too fussed if a house comes with it :)  I am (slowly) building a kit car in the garage otherwise that is where the IB would be.

Thanks for the suggestion for the interior, nice and simple - like it.  Using the car more would also help...:unsure:

43 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

20ft shipping container.

Single use (travelled from china to uk) look like new around £2K.

Water tight and very secure when locked.

Add electrics and an extraction fan it would make near perfect storage conditions.

Know someone who does this, perfect if you have access to get it in.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:28 PM, oo7 said:

Hi,

I am moving house in a few weeks, and I will no longer have an underground garage.

I have ordered a new outdoor cover for the car, but I’m still not comfortable with the idea of it sitting outside.

My car is in very good condition, with no rust or bodywork damage, however temperatures can drop below 0 in Ireland.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for parking the car outside, other than putting it in storage or a heated tent.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Is this a permanent move or temporary? If permanent building some sort of open ended car port would probably be your best option, if temporary then the tent type solution suggested below would be better than an outdoor cover.

10 hours ago, saxon46 said:

Machine mart do temporary garages.....a neighbour keeps his moggy minor in there, seema to have good reviews 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=temporary+garage

I've had a few stormforce over the years, if i was after another think I’d buy one of these

I have seen so many issues with people using outdoor (and indoor) covers. In order to minimise risk and damage your car must always be perfectly clean, there must be no wind, the cover needs to have never been put on a dirty car, your car needs to be totally cold before fitting, even then you will find the paint dulls, you get condensation issues (everywhere) and risk microblisters in the paint.

Putting a warm car under a cover during winter is crazy - it could almost be described as the perfect way to make your car rust! You would be much better off just using it and leaving it uncovered and spend time cleaning any salt off it and making sure all the dirt traps are fully cleaned out so you can give it a good rinse without trapping moisture in all the trapped dirt.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:10 PM, SP72 said:

Double ouch, had to store mine for 6 months, 4 years ago whilst we had the house rebuilt, and we lived in a mobile home in the garden. Cost me £25 a month in a local, secure, stone barn within easy walking distance of home, so could go and run it up every now and then.

Planning regs won't allow me an extra garage so I bought an enclosed trailer for winter car storage and for while we're away. Mine is aluminium and works really well. Some condensation issues at one point but sorted that by putting the car in an outdoor cover inside the trailer and connecting a small fan to the trailer battery ( it's got a hydraulic lift). Both car and trailer have trickle chargers and everything has worked well so far. Also I shouldn't lose much money while I have it and it's very secure (trailer secured to post embedded in concrete with another embedded post behind it and monitored by CCTV - not that I'm paranoid or anything)

Thank you all for the help and suggestions, it’s much appreciated.

I am hoping to get someone to build a small dry storage unit / shed at the side of my house.

Does anyone know the exact width and length of the 3.2 C?