Impact Bumpers
jellyfishfields

Short breather hose

I hope I'm posting this in the correct section, but I think it's part of the oil breather system.

This was highlighted during the PPI, a perished hose situated just above the oil filter, next to the oil filler cap.

Can anyone please advise exactly what this is and where to get it from? A very short hose, different od at either end.

I'm going to be driving past the OPC tomorrow anyway, so if a part number is available, that would be great.

30276412_Breatherhose.png.9c38a68c9e91249033252ebd8d96ff97.png

20200106_234444.thumb.jpg.d45318e7a66a99f74d65dfc5e357dfa3.jpg

Yes, wrong section as you shouldnt find any oil it that!

930 207 243 01 £3.84 from OPC

I think possibly as you suggest leading to the charcoal canister from the fuel tank vent tank.

Is that a 3.2 specific year thing as I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that.  I recently replaced the 2 larger breather hoses and removed the whole to clean up and I can't recall that at all.

The hoses from the charcoal canister do not run through the grommet/gasket of the oil tank, they run through two dedicated holes through the inner wing. The hose photographed is part of the oil tank breather system, the metal section houses a "PCV" valve which prevents the car from stalling when the oil cap is removed.

58 minutes ago, Nige said:

Is that a 3.2 specific year thing as I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have that.  I recently replaced the 2 larger breather hoses and removed the whole to clean up and I can't recall that at all.

My 88 has the same part.

27 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

My 88 has the same part.

Pretty sure mine did too...

I think Nige is having a blonde moment.

^^ fairly sure she's a red head ;)

7 hours ago, R2D2 said:

the metal section houses a "PCV" valve which prevents the car from stalling when the oil cap is removed.

Not exactly.

In the diagram below the metal restrictor inside the large diameter breather pipe B (circled in red) is what stops the engine stalling when the oil cap is removed.

1878947565_3.2crankcasebreathing.thumb.jpg.e38dba6cd7c6930d5242e4e833eee0f1.jpg

The valve connected by the small pipe in question is "C" in the diagram.

To prevent the throttle body icing up at temperatures below 10C the temperature switch "D" opens and allows intake vacuum to open the vacuum switching valve "E". Warm crankcase vapours then flow through "C" into the throttle body. At temperatures above 10C "D" is closed and all the crankcase vapours only vent through pipe "B".

Mark

I'll get my coat.

As Mark has pointed out, vacuum line, not oil or breather