PCGB - Das Feuer

2 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Blimey! Didn't think I'd stirred up such a hornet's nest, it was only a simple question after all.

No offence intended and it's good and helpful to let folks know about these things.

For me personally, I just get a little tired of all the copycat/me too stuff that goes on in the name of P cars. Singer look alike builds by indie companies, luftgekuhlt type events, kits of parts packaged up as off the shelf 'outlaw' look from the likes of Car Bone.

But I appreciate and accept that for many owners it's all cool stuff.

Cheers

FF

1 hour ago, 70sThrowback said:

I would think a national event like this would be good. My findings of local events are that they are very cliquey with 95% arriving in new water pumpers.

Exactly this.

Years ago, I was the PCGB SC register secretary. I enjoyed it for a while but the snobbery and elitism gradually wore me down. Unless you had a new car or a pre 73 I found you weren't seen as one of the gang. I left and told them what I thought when I did. 

The only reason I join now is if I can save £55 on parts or get something free like my certificate of authenticity.

The only Porsche events I've genuinely enjoyed are the Hedingham days (goood that it's back for this year) and our host's K-Jet seminar at JZM.  The PCGB Brands events, Luftgekuhlt, all at best are Meh.....  I was out of the last Brands day and heading home inside an hour.

I’m with @Phill on this.When I joined 20 odd years ago, most people were car enthusiasts, plenty of aircooled and 944s, 924s 928s.

very little snobbery or elitism, however, nowadays it’s all about new car , look at me, I’ve got a Porsha, mine bigger than yours. Last year I was in my local OPC waiting for the parts guy to do my order, and there was the typical Ffiona , done up to the nines in Country life gear, along with Giles, similarly attired including mustard yellow cords looking at a Macan with the salesman and Ffiona screeches in a load voice..”Oh Giles, the dogs will love this, you must buy it” .

I cringed, the receptionist cringed, the parts guy rolled his eyes, and the salesman’s eyes lit up. Says it all.