Exel Wheel Refurb recommendation

I got bored with my colour coded Fuchs wheels, which also weren't quite the same shade as the car, to my OCD eyes, and decided that firstly the dullest finish of all (to me) is the technically correct, for my 3.2 Sport, anodised rims with satin black centres and petals.

After reading threads on here about Exel's refurb service, and some anguish about which finish, I have gone with the early polished petal look, which was the look when I first started to yearn for a 911 in my late teens, however I can't afford one that old!  I saw an ad on eBay for a 3.2 the same Iris Blue as mine with wheels that finish and decided on the spot, also deciding to delete my 'sharks fins' for the cleaner look. This one, photo below, now sold, was a left hooker with no whale tail, but as soon as I saw it I knew it was the look I wanted.

Chris came up and collected the wheels from Road and Race Restorations, where 35 years of well hidden rust is being sorted out (another thread for another day) - they didn't need the use of his loan set as the car is on a jig.

He sent me the attached pics this week, to say I'm happy is an understatement. I had Type 911 send him a new set of centre caps, as mine weren't suitable for polishing, they are still to do. He says they will come back balanced, with the weights hidden inboard. As part of the service he will deliver them back to where the car is. No bill yet, I'll let you know how much when I do, but his baseline costings discussed on the phone seemed very reasonable for the service.

s-l1600m.jpg

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4269.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

Yes, it looks like shadow chrome to me.  To get this effect they powdercoat the wheels black, then cure them, then spray them with a silver mist, then lacquer them and bake again.

They look brilliant but it is very difficult to match the colour again if needed.  I know as I had them on my Range Rover and when one wheel was damaged, they had to do all 4 wheels, so they matched eachother.

They will look brilliant with you car colour👍

I have black/chrome on my 993 (look like turbo S wheels), Chris did refurb one a couple of years ago and matched it perfectly by taking photos and standing over the guy when he did it!

• 1 month later...

Well my wheels are back in the frozen North, Chris came up this morning and dropped them off at Road and Race Restorations.

I haven't seen them in the flesh yet, but as Chris updates his Facebook page as soon as he does a job, I have shamelessly nicked his photos for you of the finished article, tyres re mounted and balanced to boot.

The (new) centre caps were painstakingly de-painted before being mirror polished to match the wheels. Chris tells me this is very time consuming, I can imagine it must be!

84137076_3044798688892509_481706158776647680_n.jpg

89258095_3044798768892501_4912833044865351680_n.jpg

89367443_3044798658892512_5280765223618215936_n.jpg

After seeing your post I called Chris at Exel to discuss getting my M3 wheels done.  Quite a coincidence that he lives 1.5 miles from me!  Anyway, boy does he know his stuff with wheels and finishing etc, I am now very happy I am going to the right person.

Thanks guys, because of you beating a path to his door, Chris gave me a discount!

Looking at his Facebook posts, he is reluctant to discuss prices in public, lest the competition and lied to wives find out (£20 a wheel love, honest!), so I’ll respect that and not say how much it cost, but considering the results and the fact he drove up North to collect and return the wheels, I was very happy.

• 3 months later...

I can add my positive comments to those above for Chris' work at Exel.  He’s just returned the wheels from my daily driver M3 and they are just like new, really lovely quality.  Very fair price as well.  If yours need doing I would strongly recommend Exel

21 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I can add my positive comments to those above for Chris' work at Exel.  He’s just returned the wheels from my daily driver M3 and they are just like new, really lovely quality.  Very fair price as well.  If yours need doing I would strongly recommend Exel

Waiting for my SL wheels to return from him Ian ... 

Hope you find them as good as I did.  I don’t think he would hand them over if they’re weren’t right as he delayed getting mine back to me because he wasn’t happy with the finish.  Chris spent a lot of time researching different shades and codes for dirty gold, sharing lots of photos and we spent a lot of time discussing.  In the end it wasn’t clear which version would look right on these wheels as it’s not been done before so I went for standard and he knew exactly what code etc.  The car looks stunning.

• johndglynn changed the title to Exel Wheel Refurb recommendation