3.2 Fuel Lines

I'm about to embark on a refresh of the fuel lines on my car - tank to injectors. I'll post progress here.

After much deliberation of what to replace the OE lines with I decided to go with a kit from Paul Mason in the US, found via Pelican. These are teflon lines and included in the kit is a replacement for every bit of hose on my car - they should outlast the remaining life of the car.

So, hoses delivered today.

I'm going to aim to do the job with the engine still in the car, though probably will need to do a partial drop.

There is also likely to be a fair bit of 'while I'm in there' - such as engine fan refurb and maybe alternator reconditioning....

1538018828_Fuellines-1.thumb.jpg.f02c57bbff0f7af73d8b4f3383a8faff.jpg

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Ohh nice Chris. Be an interesting project to watch. Are those long silver lines replacements for the tunnel flow and return lines? 

Yep - tunnel lines. Going to do the whole shebang 🙄

Interested to see how you get one.  Mine were replaced by BSM in 2016 ish - the lines themselves (plastic/vinyl) were in excellent condition, it was just the end connectors that looked worse for wear.

I think they quote 3 hrs labour.

• 2 months later...

Wanted to try my new ramps so I removed the old fuel pump whilst the car was up in the air.

I have all new bits to go back - new pump, bracket, etc..

The rubber bobbins mounting the pump just fell apart - was only the fuel lines holding the pump in place.

Nice work Chris.  Any tips for removing the intake manifolds with engine in place?  I am going to remove mine to replace gaskets and have better access to the triangle of death so if you have any insights, please share. IM if you prefer to keep thread on topic.

Cheers

Kevin

54 minutes ago, Fuchs915 said:

Nice work Chris.  Any tips for removing the intake manifolds with engine in place?  I am going to remove mine to replace gaskets and have better access to the triangle of death so if you have any insights, please share. IM if you prefer to keep thread on topic.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Kevin. I didn't hit any specific issues removing the inlet manifolds. I haven't actually posted any details on removing them because it was so unremarkable.

But here's my outline order of work:

Disconnect the battery.

Remove engine fan and ducting - you'll need to just take the distributor cap off as there is a bolt holding the plastic shroud right behind it. No need to remove ignition leads.

Remove the air filter assembly from the mass air flow meter.

Remove the mass air flow meter from the throttle assembly. I detached this at the lower end of the black rubber air guide.

Remove the injectors and fuel rails - note that you WILL get fuel spillage.

Remove the right hand inlet manifold.

Remove the left hand inlet manifold. A little more complex because of the number of connections to the throttle assembly and fuel lines.

There's nothing tricky - just work methodically and carefully. As you can see from my images you will end up with a lot of disconnected pipes and wires. My strategy to get it all back together is to take a gazillion images as I work through - especially of all the little details that you will not remember.

Good work Chris.

Is that a date code on the fuel hosing?

The hose on your lines looks to be re-inforced with a type of "wrap", and appear to be more durable than the rubber hose on my lines.

As Ian says, they look to be in pretty decent condition if original.