3.2 Fuel Lines

I would describe both sets as being of high quality - but they are different.

Paul’s lines use Teflon as the hose material which is covered with a steel braid, with a black shiny material over that. The end fittings are quite different from factory.

Len’s lines use the OE materials, or very close to as far as I can tell. The hoses and fittings have a more OE appearance.

Len can be reached on lendotcummings@verizondotnet.

42 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

I would describe both sets as being of high quality - but they are different.

Paul’s lines use Teflon as the hose material which is covered with a steel braid, with a black shiny material over that. The end fittings are quite different from factory.

Len’s lines use the OE materials, or very close to as far as I can tell. The hoses and fittings have a more OE appearance.

Len can be reached on lendotcummings@verizondotnet.

Thanks Chris.

I had pretty much made my mind up to go for Paul’s hoses. 
I might just price up a full set from Len and then decide.

Thanks for your help and I’m enjoying reading your write up. 👍

Regards

Russ

19 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Whichever you decide to order make sure you specify Fedex as USPS is using tortoises to get my parcel here, over a month in transit......

I will do. I’ve had something on order that was shipped by USPS over a month ago too!

I think there’s one bloke pedalling a bike around their “facilities” with a parcel rack. 😜

9 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

Whichever you decide to order make sure you specify Fedex as USPS is using tortoises to get my parcel here, over a month in transit......

One thing I remember from ordering my lines from Paul was that it got to a point where I was convinced that they had been lost. I can't recall completely the circumstance - IIRC there was a very long gap with nothing apparently happening. I even got in touch with Paul to see if he could find out where they were as I feared them lost. Then out of the blue Parcelforce made the delivery.

A little bit more progress today.

New fuel pump fitted - the fuel system is now ready for fuel and, err, testing.....

911-101-2.thumb.jpg.e2c2d2ad85c18a097a5c84a550df29da.jpg

As I said before the fuel lines are very tight to the steering rack as they exit the tunnel. Nothing I can do about this, save keep an eye on it.

911-102-2.jpg.078870d05b319da290eae5a19002a073.jpg

New fuel tank filter and seal fitted, though the original wasn't too shabby.

911-100-2.jpg.b725d44e751410cfc01e459d17a9c9b0.jpg

911-103.jpg.fd2307adacb9be8c33caf849a77a9113.jpg

Fitted the rear tunnel grommets - nowhere near the fight that I had with the fronts thankfully.

Next job is to fit the new handbrake cables which will allow me to refit the gearbox crossmember.

Edited by Chris_911

On 28/05/2020 at 06:34, Chris_911 said:

One thing I remember from ordering my lines from Paul was that it got to a point where I was convinced that they had been lost. I can't recall completely the circumstance - IIRC there was a very long gap with nothing apparently happening. I even got in touch with Paul to see if he could find out where they were as I feared them lost. Then out of the blue Parcelforce made the delivery.

Still waiting.......

1 hour ago, Ian Comerford said:

Still waiting.......

I’ve just had an update Ian.

My parcel has been sat at Chicago sorting office for 18 days!!!

They've just updated it by saying it’s in transit to the next facility!!😩😩 Which, as far as I can work out, is the USPS airport facility.

Lets see how long it takes the bike to get there😩🤣

2 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Chris, how about some form of rubber sleeve (section of hose) around the swage on the line where it contacts the rack?

Top idea Les, right in the 'why didn't I think of that' category 🤗

34 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

Top idea Les, right in the 'why didn't I think of that' category 🤗

I'll give credit to young Andrew @fat fuchs as I recalled that is what he did with an oil line that was chafing or likely to chafe on his SSI install 👍 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rustybum said:

I’ve just had an update Ian.

My parcel has been sat at Chicago sorting office for 18 days!!!

They've just updated it by saying it’s in transit to the next facility!!😩😩 Which, as far as I can work out, is the USPS airport facility.

Lets see how long it takes the bike to get there😩🤣

This is amazing as I have had the same detail.  Somehow our parcels ended up on the same tortoise....  Sat at Chicago for at least ten days and now is apparently moving to the next location and is on time for delivery there.  I hope that doesn’t mean it is taking four days to get to the airport.  It’s comical how inefficient this is.

45 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

This is amazing as I have had the same detail.  Somehow our parcels ended up on the same tortoise....  Sat at Chicago for at least ten days and now is apparently moving to the next location and is on time for delivery there.  I hope that doesn’t mean it is taking four days to get to the airport.  It’s comical how inefficient this is.

I’m going to tweet Donald!!😂😂

More progress today.

Handbrake finished - new cables installed and everything adjusted to work as it should. Fiddly but satisfying.

911-112.jpg.260a5a1638e5abb4494b269053b30c9c.jpg

911-110.jpg.343031b7cbd011da51cb4cabe16ee9ad.jpg

911-111.jpg.4fc880597b693808494d2f1a7c70aa3f.jpg

Gearbox crossmember re-installed and new earth strap fitted.

Next job is to rebuild one of calipers to replace the torn seal.

• Like 1

Rear calipers rebuilt with new seals and fitted to the car along with new rear hard lines (managed to catch one and bend it when I was removing a caliper so decided to replace both).

Too hot today so I'm planning to bleed the brakes tomorrow and re-install the gear lever.

Then I'll be in a position to get some fuel and start the car....

8 minutes ago, Fuchs915 said:

Great work, Chris.  Plenty of 'while you're in there' but great peace of mind knowing it's been done well.

Thanks.

I wrote myself a list of all the jobs still to do in what felt like the right order - despite all this I've still got what looks like a very long list.....

It's great just being able to get a couple of hours in here and there but I would like the car down on its wheels soon and back in the garage. Should achieve that early this coming week.

Hi, nice work.

While you're at that stage, I would take your brake backing plates off again and give them two coats of satin black hammerite from an aerosol. I have had experience of new backing plates going rusty quite quickly without this extra prep.

Al.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2020 at 13:00, Chris_911 said:

With the fuel filter connection you need to remove the existing fitting in the top. This is quite reluctant to come out as it's fitted with some form of threadlock.

Got it out ok, managed to separate the sealing washer without damage but then managed to fubar the tread in the filter when fitting the adapter supplied with the fuel lines :( Luckily I didn't fubar the adapter :)

New fuel filter on order....

911-55.jpg.7edc1a2eca4fee8a94f5276626cc5278.jpg

The supplied new hose that mates with the hard chassis mounted return line is secured with an Oetiker ear hose clamp. Unlike a rubber line even when securely fastened the teflon hose turns quite freely on the hard line.

911-56.jpg.5711f6cb606bd72afc1c8632554a32e7.jpg

One thing I've learnt with these teflon lines is to get them all connected up loosely on the car, and not try to firmly connect anything off the car (which is tempting). I've slightly complicated my installation with my replacement of the fuel pressure regulator. The FPR is secured in position with a large 24mm nut underneath the regulator itself. I've found that this needs to be loose to allow the FPR to find its position when hooked up to the fuel rail. This raises the question of how to tighten the 24mm nut. Accessible with the engine out of the car, but my engine is in the car. A crowfoot spanner should be my answer but have had to order one. Slight delay ensues....

A word of warning on the fuel filter.

I have just tried to start my car and (fortunately before it fired) I noticed a major leak from the top of the fuel filter.

Now this is the area where the 'as supplied' fitting needs to be replaced with the one that Paul supplies. Clearly the sealing surfaces on the filter, crush washer and new fitting need to be in excellent condition. I have no concerns with Paul's adapter. My filter and crush washer looked good but clearly they aren't sufficient to give a good seal.

When I changed out the existing fuel filter (date stamp 09, but hasn't been on the car that long) for the new one I felt that the build quality of the new filter was not as good. For interest I removed the existing fitting off the old filter and the sealing surface looks better than the new... This may be an issue going forward....

Both filters are Mahle/Knecht KL21s.

New (leaking) filter sealing surface.

Filter-2.jpg.3a7a969697121d95f3898c85b3403929.jpg

Old filter sealing surface.

Filter-5.jpg.dc408420cf9573766bb273faf88af462.jpg