Door check straps

MarkJ

Does anyone know if you can replace the door check straps without removing the doors? Might be a dumb question but I have never looked at it in earnest.  Its bugged me for a while that my drivers door swings open so readily and means I have to hold onto it while extracting myself from my Pole position seats. My work car park is on a steep slope and spaces are tight, which makes it even more essential to hang onto the door, plus I keep thumping my garage wall with the door edge on a regular basis.

I've found that Porsche still make the check straps:-

https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/Classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=international&se=911 G&mo=&my=1986&ca=&sw=&pr=AADFD04E06DF40ACC12580EA002CA024

no idea on price or if other places do them (like Matthew at Type etc).

Just note the colour locations and pop the connectors off the back of the switches.  They look a jumbled mess but it only takes a few extra minutes and then you can remove the door card entirely.

I thought it was the mounting of the check strap in the door frame that fails which was the usual issue and it required welding? Didn’t know the straps themselves were prone to failing? 

just wondering?

It can be either,  if it opens quickly with no resistance it's probably the strap,  we do a repair kit for when it pulls through the door skin so there's no need to weld

2 hours ago, Nige said:

I thought you'd be ditching the mechanism for extra lightness and just use a length of leather strap?

like your thinking! isn't that what all older sports cars used anyway?  I did look at the pic on the Porsche site and think its a bit over-engineered for a door check strap! :huh:

• 1 year later...

Guys just completed the Rennline strengthening repair this morning and the door is now super stiff. Is is normal to take a while to loosen up ?

I have used the lube but only after the mechanism was in the car as I knew it was going to be tricky to get the threads started and i didn't want to have to fight the lube too !

Any thoughts  ?

Edited by Targa76

So having put the new strap in last weekend and found it was very stiff I tried to adjust it today to no avail in fact I ended up with a click which wasn't ideal. I tried to remove the new strap to either adjust the detents or replace with my original strap. 

That didn't go well and despite knowing the dangers I have lost the nearest to the cabin plate in the doorspace -ffs much gnashing of teeth.

It's cold today and a fish with a coat hanger hasn't yielded a success. I have borrowed a couple of small energiseable magnets but they don't seem to be strong enough to move it from outside

Any good ideas ? - I don't want to leave it in the door is it a fishing hook or maybe neodymium magnets 

Yours frustrated 

Andy

Edited by Targa76

On 21/01/2020 at 16:53, Wingnonut said:

I thought it was the mounting of the check strap in the door frame that fails which was the usual issue and it required welding? Didn’t know the straps themselves were prone to failing? 

just wondering?

I repaired my door by sandwiching a thin laser profiled part between the skin and the check strap. You need to be careful of thickness from memory.

Thks yes it's the equivalent to your laser profiled part which has disappeared into the door. I bought the rennline repair plates but given the strength of the new door mechanism I wonder whether in the long run it might do more harm than good as it is very stiff.

So I got it out with a piece of coat hanger with a hook by lassooing it via the drain hole below the door. Helps to jack the car up slightly. I got a bit disheartened last night when I found a thread suggesting it was door off time.

Having put it all back together with the old mechanism it still seems very stiff - given the mechanism is old surely it shouldn't be so stiff ?

Do I attack the detents with a grinder ?