New member - new owner Porsche 911 ‘81 Sc

BigG

Hi, just joined 2 days ago - lots of information and seems a very knowledgeable site. Recently purchased a 1981 Sc 3.0 LHD for rebuilding. Definitely need left hand front wing, any ideas on suppliers or breakers? Lots of other parts needed so I’ll keep my eyes open on here. 
my plans are to keep it totally original, obviously wheels got to go. Does anyone know what original wheels should be on this car? 
Any advice and comments welcome. 
thanks, big G 

F15B3442-B2F6-4F74-A3F5-9A65BFD6A342.jpeg

9B05DA96-B5D4-47C0-BFC8-4E59B5C63529.jpeg

Welcome, looks like you have your work cut out there!

Breakers are rare but if you post in the wanted forum for stuff its likely someone will have what you need. I get all my new stuff from Type911.co.uk

Welcome.

I’ve got 2 lhs wings listed.  1 is now ready for filler but the other needs rust attention.

Peter

9 hours ago, BigG said:

Cheers Phil ,

I will give that a try.

I have never done a restore before, so I know it’s going to be hard work , but I will give it my best effort , luckily no deadline at the minute.

Have a good read through the bodywork restoration threads. It will give you a good idea of what you may be in for.

11 hours ago, Type911 said:

Does it have an engine in it?

Hi , yes it does but it is out of the car ,this how I got it , I guess you see the high back end ?  the top half Is off ,and  the heads are also off ,but have new rings fitted and all new gaskets are supplied .. Only got it last week and all new to me . 

12 hours ago, PeterK said:

Welcome.

I’ve got 2 lhs wings listed.  1 is now ready for filler but the other needs rust attention.

Peter

Hi peter ,

Thanks for this , I was really looking for something that I could just bolt on as I have so much more to do .

cheers G

• 1 month later...

Welcome Big G,

Lots of good resources and advice on here to help you through this project.

My own restoration story is here:

May not take you to the very start but it's all there.

If I were you, my starting point would be to remove the interior and front wings and then pressure wash the whole thing inside and out with hot water. This should tell you plenty about how much work you have ahead of you. If you get lucky you won't have to replace metalwork on the shell of the car but it's most likely that you will end up doing some of the jobs I had to, particularly b-pillars, kidney bowls and inner front wings behind the bumper hangers.  On the targa, you also need to look carefully around the area where the roof bar connects to the inner rear wings. If you find a thread by our metal meister Fat Fuchs called 'Targa Time' you would will have a very good guide.

If your front wings are shot you really only have the option of second hand or new. From either source you will have work to do. Even new front wings from Porsche may not fit perfectly and you will need to prep them with stone chip and body colour. Second hand wings will probably fit better and may not need as much work as you think. No connection to Peter K but I wouldn't discard his wings as an option. 

If you find that your car is generally solid apart from front wings then you're in a great place. Get the engine and gearbox rebuilt, sort  replacement front wings, clean up whatever surface rust you find on the rest of the car and enjoy the summer in your new targa! But keep a notebook in the car to make a growing list of the niggles, bumps and rattles that you get for sorting next winter!

Health to drive. 

Al.