are these G50 gearbox mounts due for renewal?

sopor

23 minutes ago, proporsche said:

well? they look fine to me any movements when you touch it with a bar??

Ivan

Is that normal then Ivan? Looks like there's a big old gap above the rubber there. Go over a bump and I bet the transmission lifts and lowers

Even genuine new bushes do sag quite quickly after fitting but then seem to settle and hardly move for the next decade or so. @sopor yours dont seem too bad, you could put a jack under the support beam and jack it up a bit while observing the gap above and below - if the rubber has gone mushy you will see quite a bit of movement top and bottom, if they are still firm they wont move much and are good to go.

Here are two photos with a trolley jack lifting up the box. Hard to gauge the amount of force being applied - it was enough to raise the back of the car about 30mm.

I noticed that engine off the gearbox shifted OK without the jack pushing up against the box but once the jack was pushing the box up the shifting was noticeably baulkier. Will try a set of new mounts (probably Rennline HD in rubber, not poly) and report back.

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 17.55.34.png

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 17.55.41.png

Good plan. Engine and gearbox mounts really ties the drivetrain into the chassis and noticeably tightens generally on/off throttle response and weight transfer.  I didn't think poly added much to noise in a bad way.  It did transmit a little gearbox whine in a straight cut gear type of way (so a good way IMHO), but not anywhere near as noisy as the gearbox in the 930 that was running motorsport steel synchros in 3rd and above.  That was very noticeable when changing from 2nd to 3rd.

How do you feel about the brakes?  I can't recall what your new car has, but that would be one thing I would probably apply some thought to.

The car's on standard discs and rear calipers with Boxster front calipers with Porterfield pads. Pedal feels very stiff/wooden in comparison to my targa but in my limited road driving to date they seem fine. Not sure how much of the different feel is from the calipers or the different/reduced vacuum supply as a result of going to ITBs. It's on my list to look into further.