Escalation is... Aston Martin V12 Vantage

51 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Re the new Vantage, it seems to suffer general dislike amongst the motoring fraternity. Is it just due to the guppy front end?

That’s mainly it - lots of MX5 comparisons on the FB group. The interior is very ‘busy’ too, but apparently of good quality.  Might be worth a sniff second hand, as dynamically they’re apparently quite impressive.

The exterior styling of the new Vantage is growing on me a bit but its really the interior that kills it for me. Its plain ugly and the Mercedes sourced parts stand out like a saw thumb. I am sure they are of high quality bit that's not my issue. The previous Vantage is so damned beautiful I well up every time I see one.

43 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

The exterior styling of the new Vantage is growing on me a bit but its really the interior that kills it for me. Its plain ugly and the Mercedes sourced parts stand out like a saw thumb. I am sure they are of high quality bit that's not my issue. The previous Vantage is so damned beautiful I well up every time I see one.

I don't like the fact they now use Mercedes engines either. Sure they are great engines but it now sounds like a Merc, where is the identity of it being a great British car? Hate the way we sell out all our famous best brands. :rant_yellow:

I agree with you Les on the previous DB7 being a thing of beauty and sounds incredible. Ironically I have been perusing the classifieds all week and genning up on my buyers guide for one. I really had to resist booking a test drive this week as not sure this year is really the time to spank out on a different car though hopeful of a decent return on the CR if I do.

Only thing I don't like about them is the weight, circa 300kg heavier than the Cayman ! :huh: but then it has an extra 170 horses to carry it. 

Edited by MarkJ

Just had another horrible thought, what’s likely to happen with these sort of cars on the taxation front? 4.3 or 4.7L engines 😳

think they are already £580 a year to tax. Will they be priced off the road or devalued by the green hordes in the very near future ? 🙃

I personally think that indications are that things may just go the other way. The loss of revenue from electric / low emission car tax will force the Government down a road pricing scheme which should benefit low mileage classic car use.

I certainly don't see the tax being reduced. If you had a £20,000 overdraft, would you ask your employer for a pay cut? I hope they don't increase on the basis that these cars are low use low mileage toys, but that wont resonate with most of the law makers who will be under a lot of pressure to pay off the humungous overdraft we have built up this year which will likely take decades to pay off.

I know I sound negative, just trying to be realistic. Times have change sadly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Will they be priced off the road or devalued by the green hordes in the very near future ? 🙃

I think both scenario's will happen which is why my next car will have more than 8 cylinders 😎

Agreed a price on sumptous Audi D3 W12 a couple of weeks ago but disappointingly the seller backed out 😪

Want a big capacity luxury land yacht so we can upgrade to 1st class on family holidays without flying 😍

• Like 1

B'ah you are all going soft :D  Got to say all this world upheaval with covid, taxes and the green crusade makes buying any performance or prestige car feel a real lottery. I cant or don't want to suffer massive depreciation on a car due to external influences in the coming years and fear an Aston with its big lump of an engine would definitely suffer one way or another. Yet to me it would be a great way of continuing my trips to europe with a bit more panache and luxury and has always been on my 'want' list at some point. Maybe a 2L 4-pot Esprit would be the safer option. :morning: though got quoted 59k for one for sale the other day! :wacko: I politely declined, that's Ferrari money!

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

B'ah you are all going soft :D  Got to say all this world upheaval with covid, taxes and the green crusade makes buying any performance or prestige car feel a real lottery. I cant or don't want to suffer massive depreciation on a car due to external influences in the coming years and fear an Aston with its big lump of an engine would definitely suffer one way or another. Yet to me it would be a great way of continuing my trips to europe with a bit more panache and luxury and has always been on my 'want' list at some point. Maybe a 2L 4-pot Esprit would be the safer option. :morning: though got quoted 59k for one for sale the other day! :wacko: I politely declined, that's Ferrari money!

My Autotrader search critera now is....

Engine size 6.0ltr or more 😍

I'm looking for a keeper so not concerned about depreciation

Wrong model era for me Roy, but thanks for the link.

winter/xmas/covid must be biting as both Aston and Lotus cars I mentioned that I had contacted in the last week or so have got back to me with price cuts, the Lotus a whopping 10k lower...figure that out. :huh: But it was priced 'optimistically'  The Aston was a more conservative 1k price drop.