Escalation is... Aston Martin V12 Vantage

7 hours ago, Phill said:

I was interested why spark plug change in the V12 was so expensive. Apparently the intake manifolds :lol:have to be removed to access them.

Maidstone classic cars will be your friends I think at just £635 

Ive read they have changed it to a mileage criteria instead of time, unless you have an issue.  Of course, Sir can change all 12 coil plugs at the same time for another 2k...

3 hours ago, Phill said:

Oh yes, but what a gorgeous car.

Oh yes - my lottery win car I think...or maybe a manual early Vanquish

What a lovely looking car, I hope you enjoy it.

I live in Guildford and (and mentioned on the Esprit thread) use Max500 in Guildford to look after my Lotus.  As it happens he also runs a V8 Vantage as his daily, so it's well worth speaking to Max if you need any help outside of the AM main dealer. He's a really good guy and well versed with all things Lotus, Porsche and no doubt Vantage these days.

Cheers

Rich

13 hours ago, Dick said:

What a lovely looking car, I hope you enjoy it.

I live in Guildford and (and mentioned on the Esprit thread) use Max500 in Guildford to look after my Lotus.  As it happens he also runs a V8 Vantage as his daily, so it's well worth speaking to Max if you need any help outside of the AM main dealer. He's a really good guy and well versed with all things Lotus, Porsche and no doubt Vantage these days.

Cheers

Rich

Hello Rich

Thanks, so far so good - just hearing it start up is a joy, the rest is just a bonus :) 

I wasn’t aware that the owner has a V8, that is very useful to know, so thanks for the lead.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:26 AM, reddevil said:

Missed this. Very nice SP. Get shot of those Pirellis ASAP, they just don't work with the temps we have in this country most of the time, MPS4S for the win.

Thanks and yes, agreed, although they work better after 5-10 miles.

Before that, they certainly keep you alert!

On 2/17/2020 at 4:01 PM, World Citizen said:

Not too outrageous then!

Mrs WC deserves an Aston Martin in her life, might have to make that happen 😍

Your insurance is a bargain 👍

Come join the AM party:

https://silverstoneauctions.com/events/2020-auctions/race-retro-classic-competition-car-sale-2020/race-retro-classic-competition-car-sale-2020/competition-cars-friday-21st-february-2020/a-pair-of-aston-martin-vantage-rally-gt-cars-and-spares-package

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 12:26 AM, reddevil said:

Missed this. Very nice SP. Get shot of those Pirellis ASAP, they just don't work with the temps we have in this country most of the time, MPS4S for the win.

Drove down to the outlaws today in Dorset. Took the partners dad out in it for the first time. Dry, 10 deg C, in sport mode - exit a petrol station somewhat enthusiastically, generating proper wheel spin in 1st and fishtailing in 2nd, a minor chirp in 3rd as it came under control.

I am still learning throttle control, weight transfer etc as the 911 would have dug in and dealt with it,  but even so, I didn’t expect it to spin up the way it did.  Tyres are 6-7 years and 20k miles old, with 5mm tread.

Im waiting for the Michelin offer to kick in next week at Costco, so I can order some PS4S. Will be £750 well spent I feel.

Was great to get back into it after 2 weeks away from it.  I’m planning an exhaust tweak in the way of a primary decat, secondary sports cats and an x-pipe for an old skool F1 sound.

Just had it detailed by the storage place - a single stage was all that was needed, plus I got the windscreen coated with some hydrophobic protection.

CAE87357-A9B5-4CA7-861E-4AFC3D085D6C.jpeg

I've done dozens and dozens of track days in my Caterham but they're such an easy car to drive fast with being so forgiving at the limit. No plans to track my 911 but would like to better understand its behaviour at the limit and to play in a safe environment.

If they’re 6-7 years old they will have gone hard and will be shot, no matter what the make, temp or tread depth.

It’ll never have the traction of a 911 but a fresh set of boots will make a world of difference!

I think I might have seen you on the opposite side of the road yesterday, can’t be many V12 vantages in that colour about...

Edited by reddevil

Hmm check they got their playground re-surfaced before you book it, the tarmac surface was torn up badly when a few of us last did it. Wasn’t pleasant in a stiff suspension IB 

4 hours ago, SP72 said:

Might be an idea, although I thought they did a half day option too.

I've done this, excellent but you will do a set of tyres!

Awesome car and I bet that engine is a peach on cold start? I swapped out my tyres on my RS5 for PS4S, as they had one of those discount offers - I think one of the best tyres out there, the extra grip is sublime, they seem to be pretty good in the wet too..  

G

On 3/9/2020 at 7:33 AM, Gio said:

Awesome car and I bet that engine is a peach on cold start? I swapped out my tyres on my RS5 for PS4S, as they had one of those discount offers - I think one of the best tyres out there, the extra grip is sublime, they seem to be pretty good in the wet too..  

G

Cold starts are great - I’ve had a controller plugged in to control exhaust valves via a keyfob.  Means I don’t need to engage Sport mode to hear the exhaust which with its razor sharp throttle map, and with Corsas and greasy roads is not a good combo.

PS4S lined up for next week.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:02 AM, Beaky said:

So when do we see this amazing piece of machinery in the flesh, and can I borrow the keys!

Will be at BicesterH in April, and no, you can’t :) 

Astons do sound amazing :cool: shame you hardly ever hear one at a decent lick, most people drive them like Mondeos, just rich guys looking cool. Need to get more of us IB toughs into them and drive them like they should be driven :D

7 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Astons do sound amazing :cool: shame you hardly ever hear one at a decent lick, most people drive them like Mondeos, just rich guys looking cool. Need to get more of us IB toughs into them and drive them like they should be driven :D

My friend who had the Vanquish S did drive it hard and fast, utterly amazing when working, unfortunately it did go back to Aston's on too many occasions for minor (but always expensive) fixes.

He now owns an Aston Volante Ultimate and also a 991 Turbo S, he likes the Aston for pose and noise, but for spirited driving on challenging roads its the Porsche.

He also says he Porsche has a better and more comfortable driving seat/position, but his Missus Continent Bentley S beats both!

The new Aston has much better build quality than the old ones and crossed fingers not been back to Aston.

Edited by Beaky
Missed a bit

9 hours ago, World Citizen said:

😍 oooffffff , lovely sound, very rumbly, well deserved so enjoy it Shrish 😎

Thanks dude

The keyfob which opens the valves is a nice touch having used it for the first time today. I find the sports mode which opens the valves but also sharpens the throttle too difficult to modulate at present.

When funds allow, I’d like to lose the primary cat and fit a less restrictive secondary cat - or go crazy and fit some tubular manifolds, which make it sound...: