Impact Bumpers
Timmy

Audi service options - 'Fixed' or 'Flexible'

My 3 year old Audi A6 diesel has two service regime options. ‘Fixed’ – oil change every 9000 miles or ‘Flexible’ – oil change potentially every 19000 miles depending upon how it is driven/operating conditions. The car wasn’t bought new but came with some ‘fixed’ Audi services included. As the 3 warranty has now expired the car will get serviced by my local indy, but they will use the Audi approved grade of oil.

I do about 20000  miles per year. Any thoughts/knowledge from the wise as to whether the ‘Flexible’ option is an invention of the Audi marketing department to appeal to fleet managers who won’t worry about the longevity of the engine as the cars get moved on when 3-4 years old. I intend keeping the car for the next 5 or 6 years. So the question, ‘Flexible’ or ‘Fixed’? Thanks

I think that onboard systems can now “understand” your usage profile and adjust the servicing requirement as necessary.  I actually think it’s a good idea and can prevent over servicing, by which I mean doing ona a time basis rather than usage.  Having said that I still change the oil on the 911 every 3k Miles......

It use to be which grade of oil for the long or short service.  E.g long life grade for longer service interval.  I'm sure a decent VAG independent will use the correct grade.  

Personally I DIY mine (various A6, A4, A8 over the years) and do an annual oil change currently an A4 Avant 3.0Tdi, I only do about 9k miles p/a.

So long the garage uses the good quality/correct grade oil it doesn't need to have Audi written on it.

I use Miller's oils for all my cars.  They're Audi approved spec.

The service book now advises the same grade oil for both fixed (9000 miles)and flexible (up to 19000 miles).

When my wife had a Q5 she was a low mileage driver so needed a service only after about 2 years. When it came back from the service another was due a year later. Apparently this was set by the dealer at the service to try and increase their profits. Needless to say there was a strong exchange of words and they changed it back ( and lost a customer forever)

We get my wife's A3 serviced every 2 years by a local garage, using the apropriate oil, filter etc. It's now done 80k without missing a beat!