Impact Bumpers

one image surprised me in that set....1389kg :o  that's not a lightweight sportscar by any stretch, considering its vintage too when cars had less electrical components and safety gubbins. or am I reading that plate wrong? is that max alloweable weight?

Edited by MarkJ

22 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

one image surprised me in that set....1389kg :o  that's not a lightweight sportscar by any stretch, considering its vintage too when cars had less electrical components and safety gubbins. or am I reading that plate wrong? is that max alloweable weight?

Internet says S3 weighs 1067kg https://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=8492

yes that's more like it and sure i'd read elsewhere a similar figure, just that weight plate in the Brightwells threw a curve ball

I’ve also been looking at S2/S3.  Seem to still be sensibly priced.   Definitely an air con system candidate too. 

14 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

I’ve also been looking at S2/S3.  Seem to still be sensibly priced.   Definitely an air con system candidate too. 

Most articles/reviews I’ve read all state the aircon works well in them as stock but that the heating system is lame.

Black and gold looks ace Longers.

7 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Most articles/reviews I’ve read all state the aircon works well in them as stock but that the heating system is lame.

Black and gold looks ace Longers.

I'd like a black and gold car collection 😍

Like this.....Black-Gold-Book-Launch-2.jpg.515c96ae4cc8a1929063e123230e58c8.jpg

9 hours ago, Lesworth said:

@MarkJhave you bought one yet?

Ha no! I’m not sitting here on a pile of cash waiting to buy cars you know 😄 Not had a chance to even go see one yet. Better off buying a boat at the moment! 

10 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Ha no! I’m not sitting here on a pile of cash waiting to buy cars you know 😄 Not had a chance to even go see one yet. Better off buying a boat at the moment! 

Apparently they work underwater too so you should just go out and buy one and stop finding excuses 😂

to be honest I feel back to square one as I cant bring myself to give up any of the current motors. They are such great 'drivers' cars in their own rights. Each time I think I've convinced myself I could live without one, then I drive it and change my mind! :unsure:  I will definitely test drive a couple though as it can hopefully convince me one way or the other.

Must admit, being a motorsports fan, I find the thought of driving a Chapman designed chassis quite exciting, plus we probably have Lotus to thank for the mid-engined marvel that is the Cayman as they pioneered it.

9 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Must admit, being a motorsports fan, I find the thought of driving a Chapman designed chassis quite exciting, plus we probably have Lotus to thank for the mid-engined marvel that is the Cayman as they pioneered it.

Curve ball time,  get a Lotus 7 (Caterham)..................................

23 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

as they pioneered it.

Hmm, direct Porsche mid engine DNA line supersedes Lotus by a few years...

Image result for 1930's auto union

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

Curve ball time,  get a Lotus 7 (Caterham)..................................

Nah, i like them but its a pure track toy, should have got myself one of them a few years ago when you lot stopped playing on track in your iB's :cry:

@Silver, not sure that counts as a sports/gt car  ;)

@MarkJ - have you thought about anything else from the lotus stable? Elises / Exiges seem to be a fairly safe place money wise. I’ve got an S2 Exige - fantastic machine :) 

I like exige and Evoras, but they wouldn’t give me much the CR can’t give in spades. 
not a fan of the Elise really. Plus they aren’t old school cool like an Esprit :)

2 hours ago, MarkJ said:

I like exige and Evoras, but they wouldn’t give me much the CR can’t give in spades. 
not a fan of the Elise really. Plus they aren’t old school cool like an Esprit :)

True :) 

I was originally looking for an s1 Elise, which with the roof off is a lovely shape.

7F1941CC-78E7-46C2-BC7F-75CD75D3294D.jpeg

I bought this new in 2001. Great car but didn't get under my skin in the way my IB has.

Lot-2.jpg.64d84a3490ba0554b03d6ec0e7db8958.jpg

Lot-3.jpg.c0875a7dd8110687d28fba0b02fdf365.jpg

Ex-IB owner here, who has run a Lotus Elan +2 for the last few years.   I know it's not an Esprit, with slightly older tech, but my two penneths would suggest that Loti are definitely a bit more intensive when it comes to maintenance and keeping them healthy.  As with any old car, they like regular use, but they are not engineered anywhere near the level of my old IB.  Oil leaks are expected, the fibre bodies are often cracking or fit poorly and long term owners just live with those imperfections.

I bought a near perfect +2 and while that suits my perfectionist mindset, it does make it stressful when you find the odd oil leak on the garage floor, maybe a bit of diff fluid as well, etc.  To be honest I should have bought one that wasn't so perfect and then just enjoyed it, as I think a lot of the owners do.  I also ran an Elise S1 years ago and loved that, which gave me much less trouble.

So while I yearn for an Esprit as well, as they are gorgeous, I have a feeling I would always be on edge when using it, expecting something big to go wrong every so often.

Also, another vote for Max500 in Guildford, he's very knowledgeable and always has the odd Esprit knocking about in his workshop:  Mine's the white +2

Cheers

Rich

IMG_3507.jpg

"So while I yearn for an Esprit as well, as they are gorgeous, I have a feeling I would always be on edge when using it, expecting something big to go wrong every so often."

Hey, I drive a 28yr old Lancia throughout an English winter, i'm always on edge :D   but thanks for the extra insight. We are all spoilt with our IB's on the whole, they are so much better built than 90% of the rest of the classic car world.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

"So while I yearn for an Esprit as well, as they are gorgeous, I have a feeling I would always be on edge when using it, expecting something big to go wrong every so often."

Hey, I drive a 28yr old Lancia throughout an English winter, i'm always on edge :D   but thanks for the extra insight. We are all spoilt with our IB's on the whole, they are so much better built than 90% of the rest of the classic car world.

That is very true Mark.  You are made of strong stuff to drive a Lancia all year, a can only manage a mk1 MR2 :-)  If you can handle the Lancia, you will be fine with the Esprit.