Lotus Esprit

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I've driven a later Esprit, not that impressed tbh. I like the earlier style but not sure of build quality. I hope you buy one - that would be excellent blog material.

Drove a Noble a while back, that was pure fun. I think one of those reborn MG BGTs with the MX5 running gear would be the only thing on my Britlist nowadays. Love them and have fond memories of my old '69 B.

All this says is I am bloody old! Buy the Esprit - cool factor 50.

1 hour ago, jellyfishfields said:

I used to work in an Iveco garage, so saw the occasional Deutz engined truck. Nothing like that though😊.

Love the overkill in that, where does he go camping?

Lives in it for years at a time. All over Europe, Africa and off to Mongolia next. 

3 hours ago, jellyfishfields said:

I used to work in an Iveco garage, so saw the occasional Deutz engined truck. Nothing like that though😊.

Love the overkill in that, where does he go camping?

From the looks of it absolutely anywhere he wants 😎

think that price was about right, maybe even a tad high as have seen similar with less miles (circa 70k) advertised around same price. Looks great in the photos.

I have noticed that every car I have seen advertised since xmas is still for sale. Not sure what that tells us, over-priced or un-sure market with all the talk of E-cars, higher taxation and bio fuels ?  Might just be its pre-spring.

I still think that is a lot of money for that car.  They always look a lot worse in person, and especially close up, and that body needs thousands spending on it to get it up to scratch - these fibreglass cars are much more difficult to do properly so you could easily be looking at a £6k++ paint job.   The interior looks very very tired as well.

Having just got out of the ownership of an old lotus, I would not be in a hurry to get back in, even if I love the look of them.

6 hours ago, MarkJ said:

think that price was about right, maybe even a tad high as have seen similar with less miles (circa 70k) advertised around same price. Looks great in the photos.

I have noticed that every car I have seen advertised since xmas is still for sale. Not sure what that tells us, over-priced or un-sure market with all the talk of E-cars, higher taxation and bio fuels ?  Might just be its pre-spring.

Market for anything that is an optional purchase is dead as a dodo. Lot's of uncertainty, and Covid-19 just adds to that.

Great time to buy if you have cash, or a stash of gold...

12 hours ago, njpcarrera32 said:

Market for anything that is an optional purchase is dead as a dodo. Lot's of uncertainty, and Covid-19 just adds to that.

Great time to buy if you have cash, or a stash of gold...

I find nowadays that car dealers aren't interested in any cash deals, they actually prefer you to use credit :huh:  Maybe i'm not any good at haggling but I never really get a good deal on any car I want, the dealers seem to stick to their guns on price when I ask if any movement on price. You would think they'd be keen to sell a car that's sat on their forecourts for months. Think I got 2k knocked off the CR when I bought it and 2.5k off the Integrale by chipping in my old Freelander and thought that was a result :D but In real terms prob meant he only knocked a grand off.   Do any of you guys pitch in with low offers and get better results? I know its a bit tv staged, but when you watch Wheeler dealers or other sales programs they always throw in a low ball offer and get met half way. If I got 5k off a car price i'd be very happy, especially for these classics that have sat around for sale for months, possibly meaning more expense once you start using them properly.

Expect you can get some real steals at classic car auctions but i'd want someone mechanically clever with me like Jev :)  I'm too much heart over head!

Best time to buy something is in a falling market when you don't want it and pitch a low but not insulating offer

I think I'm better at buying than selling 🤔 

I had someone offer me a very low price for something I was selling once, so I came back with a higher price than I was originally asking, the buyer said 'don't be silly' so I replied with 'well you started it' 🤣 His next offer was a lot more sensible

Edited by World Citizen

The issue with dealers and deals is that a car will owe them a certain amount.  With financing so cheap, why would they sell it to you for less than it owes them?  You would just hold it and take the paper cut injury rather than major arterial bleed.  They are after in the business of making money from an ongoing business.  Sorry if that is blindingly obvious, but they kind of don't have the option of meeting the market if the market is falling, because as soon as they start selling cars for a loss, they are out of business.

Different if its a private seller.  Different if its a main dealer as they get paid in ways other than just margin.

A paper cut may just be getting shot at zero margin to avoid being left even more in the hole as the market falls further. If they want out they will go to what they paid net and it should be obvious when you get to that point in negotiation. If it isn’t don’t be afraid to ask. Some times they appreciate an open candid conversation if they know you are serious rather than a chancers offer that they pay no regard to. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks BB, think any car buying is now fubared sadly but will still watch it with interest.

My latest classic car mag experts list all the reasons why the classic car market has bombed (pre corona) and not likely to ever return To the last 5-8 years highs. Makes sense when you read it. Be interesting to see if prices get more realistic for many cars.