Impact Bumpers
Anil

Dash gauge LED bulbs re-visited

I'm looking to replace the original dash gauge bulbs with LEDs.

With all the gauges out on my 1988 3.2, I counted 10 BA7S bulbs in the silver/red holders, 4 of the smaller style bulbs (I don't know what these are...) and 1 T4W bulb in the black plastic holder.

For those that have the done the swap, are you replacing all the bulbs for LEDs, or just the BA7S bulbs for illumination?

Finally, which bulbs are recommended ? The traditional bulb style from Ebay (e.g. "charlieccu") or the SMD style ?

20200219_192110.thumb.jpg.2aefc355c163fb2f3c59e1af1feb4cf5.jpg

I only replaced the illumination ones, will get you the Brand tomorrow

Edited by Beaky

The bonus photo of the day!

Hi Anil I used carmagic as well, excellent result, can choose original yellow tint but I went for bright white since I’ve changed my external lights to LEDs.

I changed all the bulbs including high beam and indicator bulbs as well. You have the choice of paying a bit more and getting those coloured bulbs in the right LED shade, well worth it.

Not only that they chucked in a spare clear LED gratis. Good communication with them, a guy called Engelbert dealt with my enquiries.

I used the Charlieecu ones. Warm white. Work a treat. 

Charlie ones used here as well....

That was the easy bit - it’s getting the gauges out I’m struggling with!

Edited by DavidH

Start with the clock: if you can't rock it out from the front use something like a wooden dowel to push it out from the back (don't use anything metal). They can put up a bit of a fight, but once one is out you'll find you can do the others much more easily because of the improved access.

18 hours ago, rich73 said:

These are the ebay ones fitted.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I appreciate the pics Rich.

I'm leaning towards the warm white Charlie ones too as I think prefer the more traditional bulb style over the SMD ones used by Carmagic, plus he is UK based.

Would the green indicator, blue high beam, red oil level and orange fuel level work with a warm white LED, or do they need to match the colour of the filter i.e. a green LED for the green indicators, etc?

11 minutes ago, Anil said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and I appreciate the pics Rich.

I'm leaning towards the warm white Charlie ones too as I think prefer the more traditional bulb style over the SMD ones used by Carmagic, plus he is UK based.

Would the green indicator, blue high beam, red oil level and orange fuel level work with a warm white LED, or do they need to match the colour of the filter i.e. a green LED for the green indicators, etc?

You should've got Shirish to take out those posh American ones he bought before he flogged the car to @sopor Anil ;) 

Pretty sure the car magic ones are sold by D911.

18 hours ago, RivieraBob said:

I used this company Anil...even though they are in the US the owner (Engelbert) was very easy to deal with. Went for the vintage as felt the bright were too bright. Not had any problems with them (2 years on).  Bob

http://carmagic.us/instrument-911.html

I had these too - vintage white - think d911 do them

I have a set of the carmagic vintage white LED bulbs that I bought for my targa but never fitted before I sold the car - anyone interested?

8 hours ago, sopor said:

I have a set of the carmagic vintage white LED bulbs that I bought for my targa but never fitted before I sold the car - anyone interested?

Yes please, I'll have them if still available!

I used warm white for the dash, but I replaced every bulb on the car including headlamps, from classicleds.co.uk

Same company I used, very knowledgeable and helpful and it's a straight plug and play fit.