Supersport (SSE) ? Yes or no

Londonblackcab

I love my 1995 targa but I’ve always loved the wide bodied cars. I test drove one recently with salesman in passenger seat having been told the SSE targa weighs 200 kg more than my 3.2 carrera, it seemed less lively (salesman was a big fella), but I can’t help but love the look.  A 930 turbo is a bit too dear for me and honestly I don’t fancy the shove exiting a bend. Also not many turbo targa’s about.  My question is, will the future values of the SSE rise or are they generally not popular, therefore difficult to sell? Do I have to buy a turbo if I want widebbody to ensure a good future value?

Or do I just stick with my slim hipped girl?  I can’t help it, I like a big booty! Opinions please..

5A1CEBEC-F83F-49EB-91A1-81D10DD588E3.jpeg

I think whatever floats your boat. It's like a few years ago my better half wanted a Boxster and was making the choice between a 986 and a 987. She liked the look of the 987 more but the cost difference needed to be considered.

I told her if she got the 986 (no offence 986 owners) and was then driving down the road and saw a 987 would she feel gutted that she didn't get one? Her answer was YES, so we got a 987 and she's very happy - which means I am too!

So, if you like the look of the wide body just get it, otherwise when you're splashing that much cash you might regret your decision.

19 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Buy turbo wings, graft on turbo rear arches, buy bumper fill in bits, add wheel spacers and job done! Cheaper than buying one......

My 2p as always. Chris

I'm not a stickler for originality but even I wouldn't do that to the car in the picture above!

If you’ve got the itch, then it’ll always be asking to be scratched.. or something profound like that.

I Wouldn’t do anything to your “slim”, feels like so many are going for the backdate / restomod / singer look (which don’t get me wrong are  beautiful works of art) I think there’s always going to be and maybe increasingly so, demand for a good oem car.

Keep window shopping (as if we’d ever stop) and if you find one and make the sums work, then the rest will be history..

11 hours ago, Londonblackcab said:

I love my 1995 targa but I’ve always loved the wide bodied cars. I test drove one recently with salesman in passenger seat having been told the SSE targa weighs 200 kg more than my 3.2 carrera, it seemed less lively (salesman was a big fella), but I can’t help but love the look.  A 930 turbo is a bit too dear for me and honestly I don’t fancy the shove exiting a bend. Also not many turbo targa’s about.  My question is, will the future values of the SSE rise or are they generally not popular, therefore difficult to sell? Do I have to buy a turbo if I want widebbody to ensure a good future value?

Or do I just stick with my slim hipped girl?  I can’t help it, I like a big booty! Opinions please..

5A1CEBEC-F83F-49EB-91A1-81D10DD588E3.jpeg

I've had a 3.2 Carrera targa, a coupe supersport and a targa turbo.  I'd personally say the turbo targa was like a flipflop you soaked in Hawaii n tropic . Too much bhp for the chassis , likely to slip up. The 3.2 targa is a nice balance of bhp and power delivery. And the Supersport was fabulous to look at but definitely a sheep in wolf's clothing. 

As many have said above, from the photo it looks to good to use as a base project mule.

So If you really want to go wide, I'd test drive both a 930 and an SSE before you finalise the decision, it maybe once behind the wheels it does meet your expectations.

9 hours ago, PorscheApostle said:

I've had a 3.2 Carrera targa, a coupe supersport and a targa turbo.  I'd personally say the turbo targa was like a flipflop you soaked in Hawaii n tropic . Too much bhp for the chassis , likely to slip up. The 3.2 targa is a nice balance of bhp and power delivery. And the Supersport was fabulous to look at but definitely a sheep in wolf's clothing. 

Thanks Porsche Apostle, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. The SSE looks lovely but lacks power and agility due to all that weight. I found that driving it.  And hello Beaky, I live in Stanmore and work in Finchley so hope to see you around. Thanks for all the comments here. Maybe I’ll stick with Twiggy and admire J Lo from afar. That’s probably the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, Londonblackcab said:

Beaky, I live in Stanmore and work in Finchley so hope to see you around.

You'll normally see me bombing around Whetstone/Barnet and the surrounding lanes in Herts! 

I also attend the PCGB meets at the ACE (last Monday in the Month) which is worth a visit, you have to excuse the Anorak and Nerdy lot, but there this is a hard core "The Firm London" Chapter who like driving their cars and not talking about them!

You may also find that a 930 is not just a simple xxxhp more kind of equation.  Due to the long gearing and lag they are not fast unless you are really on it and using all the revs and gears.  In my experience they are actually a fairly relaxed touring car and you have to be quite hamfisted (footed?) not to anticipate the boost as you have plenty of warning.  What I am saying is, don't be scared of a 930.  If you can afford it, then 930 has the investment thesis behind it - if you believe any of these cars remain long term investment material.. If you are worried about investment then you really want to forget targas, sell up and put all of your cash in a G50 930 Coupe.  $0.02

• 3 weeks later...

Before I bought my SSE coupe I test drove a 5 speed 930 coupe, the SSE is the easier car to drive but can still be a handful if you push on, the boost on the 930 is addictive and you would be on it all the while and with all the cameras around ...

Just now, lindsayhbrown said:

, the boost on the 930 is addictive and you would be on it all the while and with all the cameras around ...

not all the while, too many fuel stops needed, my 1st tank full of fuel only lasted 125 miles, around 7 mpg, seeing the fuel gauge needle actually moving is 'crack' addictive 🤪

• 1 month later...

SSE cars are rarer than even turbos. The values have risen as a result, although only 10% more than a narrow body car however from an investment perspective rarity always adds value especially as time reduces the numbers further.  There were (in the 80’s/90’s) lots of dealerships selling turbo body kits, so look for M491 on the service manual or under the bonnet, or walk away. 

Personally I think the wider cars get more admiration, that has been my experience in 8 years of ownership, even in a line-up with other 3.2’s people grin when they see the arches and bulkier rear spoiler.  Power wise, unless you do a lot of track days or have no qualms about collecting points on your license - id be very surprised if the extra weight actually impaired a normal spirited run and lets not forget, ventilated discs breaks are an excellent addition to protecting you and your investment. Type SSE or Supersport into most car sites and dealers will undoubtedly reiterate the value of rarity.

• 1 month later...
On 16/04/2020 at 02:21, Odiente said:

Power wise, unless you do a lot of track days or have no qualms about collecting points on your license - id be very surprised if the extra weight actually impaired a normal spirited run

Since purchasing my 89 narrow body 3.2 back in 2015 the car has lost a few kg by removing the AC, tail & lighter exhaust etc. Meanwhile I have lost over 20 kg too so combined weight loss has been less than 100 kg but still a noticeable hike in performance. I have never tracked the car and my "spirited driving" constitutes less than 5% of total time behind the wheel.