Impact Bumpers
MarkT

Fitting front windscreen problem - help

A screen fitter tried to reinstall my original front screen, with new Porsche rubber and trim to the original frame/car after painting, but is finding it almost impossible to get the lower edge part of the rubber seal to lock over the car body seam, its tight and fitting good everywhere else. 

Q1. The fitting was done with the dash top fitted making access to the rubber seals inside bottom lip almost impossible, can the screen be put in before the dash top is fitted to give better access?  If so how would the 4 small screws be fitted that are at the front top edge of the dash top either side of the screen vents? 

Q2. Any other suggestions ? 

Many thanks

Mark

The dash top should be in.

It is normal to put the screen in bottom first, physically seating the two bottom corners first. Then pushing in and down at the top to string in from there.

I have done several single handed that way without issue.

It sounds as if your fitter may not be so experienced in stringing in older cars screens, maybe more used to bonding modern screens!

Mark

19 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

The dash top should be in.

It is normal to put the screen in bottom first, physically seating the two bottom corners first. Then pushing in and down at the top to string in from there.

I have done several single handed that way without issue.

It sounds as if your fitter may not be so experienced in stringing in older cars screens, maybe more used to bonding modern screens!

Mark

Mark,

Thank you, plse check messages

Cheers

Mark

Check this video out for tips on fitting screen 

https://youtu.be/8z3hPM2Zd0s

Regards

46 minutes ago, apesman said:

Check this video out for tips on fitting screen 

https://youtu.be/8z3hPM2Zd0s

Regards

That video makes it look much harder than it actually is Mark. 

Like SilverWT above, I've fitted my own screens many times and it typically takes less than an hour to do if all the spot welded flanges that the screen mounts to are correct. I say this because it's quite common for these cars to have had scuttle repair panels fitted and if the flange angle is incorrect the seal will pop off. To check this make a template on a part of the screen aperture that you know to be original and compare to any repaired areas.

If that's not the issue then as suggested above, you need an experienced installer. This video illustrates a DIY screen install quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0oBCs70_78

Cheers

FF

install 2 strings. This gives you a second chance if required.

Use glass suction cups on the inside to allow the fitter to pull the screen up against the flange.

It's really not difficult if you know how to fit screens with old style seals.

Tip - in cold weather it helps to build the screen, seal and trim up then allow them to get a bit of warmth inside your house before fitting.

Silicone spray helps lubricate the seals.

If its not fitted correctly it will leak, whistle and squeak - this sounds fairly obvious but a screen that is not fully seated can still look OK from outside. 

48 minutes ago, MarkT said:

Just incase, Can anybody recommend a good fitter.? 

Depends which part of the country you are in.

19 hours ago, MarkT said:

Just incase, Can anybody recommend a good fitter.? 

Paul at Glasstec comes well recommended. http://www.glasstecpaul.com/  Not sure if he covers your area but you can ask...

On 2/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, sopor said:

Paul at Glasstec comes well recommended. http://www.glasstecpaul.com/  Not sure if he covers your area but you can ask...

Paul at Glasstec was brilliant , fitted front screen perfectly first go, treated my car like it was his own, attention to detail was outstanding and when finished cleaned up everything spotless.

Thank you 

Mark

cool beans - good to hear. Have never met him or used his services but consistently hear good things about him.

2 hours ago, sopor said:

cool beans - good to hear. Have never met him or used his services but consistently hear good things about him.

He supplied the screen that adorns your car!  Was the last one in OPC circulation back in early 2013, Sportwagen were struggling to source one.

Some replacement screens have too much curvature, and need a lot of  pressure exerting on the centre of the screen to fit. They normally go in first attempt, but a customer supplied screen eventuality broke on the umpteenth attempt, It just would not fit. I then bought a replacement made by Tyneside and it went straight in. 

if I seem to remember it’s the ones supplied by master auto glass that are too curved, but there are others out there as well.