Re assembling heads - valves

sjwright944

Hi all,

I’ve just had a 3 angle valve seat light skim on the exhaust valve seats, also have new valves ready to fit.

Should I still be grinding in the valves with a fine paste just to make sure the seal is good or is this not recommended or necessary?

Inlet seats are good, if I fit new inlet valves, are these ready to be fitted just with a light grinding in with a fine paste?

Apologies if these are dim questions but I just want to make sure before I start. I’ve not worked on cylinder heads for quite a few years.

Thanks

Simon

Personally I would lap them in.

Tip my dad told me - use a pencil to judge when they are good. Draw a line on the valve itself - on the seat area. If a quick one turn lap of the valve in its seat removes the line then you're good.

On 3/6/2020 at 10:10 AM, Chris_911 said:

Personally I would lap them in.

Tip my dad told me - use a pencil to judge when they are good. Draw a line on the valve itself - on the seat area. If a quick one turn lap of the valve in its seat removes the line then you're good.

Love his, I wonder how many new mechanics (technicians as they are now called) know this trick.

Even if heads are sent away to automated machine shops, etc. isn't this a wonderful way to double check the results. 👍