Richard Bernau

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Jonny Hart said:

This isn’t a time for political point scoring. 

Couldn't agree more - some constructive discussion would be far more helpful that the 'hysteria' being peddled here

"I’m an epidemiologist. When I heard about Britain’s ‘herd immunity’ coronavirus plan, I thought it was satire" 

William Hanage

"We talk about vaccines generating herd immunity, so why is this different? Because this is not a vaccine. This is an actual pandemic that will make a very large number of people sick, and some of them will die. Even though the mortality rate is likely quite low, a small fraction of a very large number is still a large number. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/epidemiologist-britain-herd-immunity-coronavirus-covid-19

Edited by GaryH

9 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I would just ask Gary to describe how Corbyn would have handled this.........imagine Diane Abbot running the show!!!

Whataboutery. 

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

Anything to distract from all this cv doom and gloom. Shall we start an oil thread? 👏

OK, 20-50w mineral"....................and I raise you a semi synthetic 

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

5-40w fully synthetic, Fuchs Titan pro race. Breakfast of champions 😂

I‘ll call your 5-40w and raise you 1200 zinc content

12 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Only us playing Chris. I’ll call your 1200 zinc and raise you Ester base with nano technology 

Nano tech, humbug, it’s fairy dust.....I can see the lobes marking up

Audi R8 V8 or V10

Boxster 3.4S or Cayman 3.4S

911 SC or 911 3.2

G50 or 915

engine power or lightweight 

NA or trubo

dog or cat

LHD or RHD

beach or snow

Eurotunnel of ferry

Le Mans of Monaco

bacon butty or veggie burger 

🤔

1 minute ago, World Citizen said:

Audi R8 V8 or V10 - v10

Boxster 3.4S or Cayman 3.4S - Boxster (love a soft top)

911 SC or 911 3.2 - both

G50 or 915 - head g50, heart 915

engine power or lightweight - both 

NA or trubo - NA

dog or cat - dog

LHD or RHD - RHD in the uk

beach or snow - beach

Eurotunnel of ferry - ferry. Chance for a pit stop 🥘 

Le Mans of Monaco - Monaco 

bacon butty or veggie burger - bacon butty of course

🤔

11 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Audi R8 V8 - 10 is being greedy

Boxster 3.4S - ditto

911 3.2 - as I got one

G50-, as it’s a late e3.2

engine power, lightweight- both

NA or turbo - depends on application

dog or cat- both

LHD or RHD- both

beach or snow- beach

Eurotunnel of ferry - tunnel much quicker anD you don,t need to mix with the rabble.....

11 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Le Mans of Monaco - Monaco

bacon butty or veggie burger - Bacon

Should add one.

Mustang or Corvette 

50 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Audi R8 V8 or V10

Boxster 3.4S or Cayman 3.4S

911 SC or 911 3.2

G50 or 915

engine power or lightweight 

NA or trubo

dog or cat

LHD or RHD

beach or snow

Eurotunnel of ferry

Le Mans of Monaco

bacon butty or veggie burger 

🤔

V8 - a box I need to tick soon

Boxster - got a hardtop IB so has to be a softop

G50

Lightweight

NA

Dog

RHD

Snow

Eurotunnel

Le Mans

Bacon Butty

Corvette - unless it was a Shelby (Eleanor?)

One more - private reg or year reg

Edited by Roy M

15 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

I’m no Tory ( I loath most politicians)  but this is a ridiculous statement.   How would any health system predict that we specifically needed loads of ventilators?  

Do you think that if this virus resulted in people losing a leg, we would have enough crutches and replacement limbs to go round?

This isn’t a time for political point scoring. 

Its not political point scoring if there are stats to back it up - like the number of ICU hospital beds per 100,000 populations compared to EU countries or number in ventilators per 100,000 etc.  I don't know if its true, but questioning and criticism is not point scoring per se. There is spare capacity in every health system, its a Q of how much is appropriate vs cost of capacity.  It might be a reasonable Q if everywhere else has more capacity. It might be ridiculous, but the guy is not unqualified to ask the Q and it is the Tories in power for the last 10 yrs, so the finger pointing may be justified. 

I am sick of the line that govt spokepeople are using to answer the Q why are we so out of step with WHO, Europe, Asia etc, where they say something along the lines of we are taking expert advice/we have the best experts/we have the best health system.  First, I question the objective truth of those claims and second, its possible to be an expert and still get it wrong.  Qs should be asked and we should get answers that are not a long way of saying "trust me, I know what I am doing".  If you want to bring the populace along with you, you give full and frank disclosure and the reasons why you decide to do whatever you decide to do.  That has not been the case up till now.  Its  persistent Qs that will see disclosure of modelling etc.

Today's prediction - its only a short period of time before govt policy response crumbles.  We are already seeing u-turns - ie., its all about building herd immunity, then our policy is not herd immunity - and people will start acting in their best interests regardless of govt policy and guidance.

On 3/15/2020 at 10:11 AM, Chris_911 said:

Ferrari has shut Maranello.

Nothing special about Maranello, most of the manufacturing plants in Northern Italy are shut until the end of March now. French president has also decreed that all non-essential manufacturing operations in France should also close, but no definition of non-essential...

IMHO expect it to take at least 3 months until some sort of equilibrium is established once more.  

2 weeks ago - this will be totally fine.

1 week ago - still fine.  Just wash your hands and send your kids to school.

Today - everyone!!! We desperately need ventilators! Now!  Nobody could have seen this coming.  Quickly make some of those *checks notes* ventilators.

Hat tip Matt Hancock.