Underside Cleaning

My car is up on axel stands, wheels off, and ready for a good de-gunk if the underside. Can anyone recommend a particularly good product to spray on, prior to jet washing or is any old stuff from Halfords suitable?  And is there anything I need to watch out for as I’m doing it? 

many thanks. Sam

I usually have some of this stuff knocking about, TFR.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Ltr-Caustic-Traffic-Film-Remover-9-1-Mix-For-Easy-Removal-Of-Vehicle-Road-Dirt/310046161884?hash=item483030fbdc:g:zc0AAOSwEYBaT9c1

Spray it on with a garden sprayer and agitate with a brush, it's caustic so don't get it on your paint.  There are all sorts available and non caustic too.

This is what I use, great on garden furniture, patios and alike too.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-1-CAUSTIC-TRAFFIC-FILM-REMOVER-TFR-25L-litre-CHASSIS-CLEANER-TRUCK-WASH/112022545131?epid=1790207367&hash=item1a151062eb:g:y6YAAOSwojRYSsMa

I cleaned up all the wheel arches and underside with Bilt Hamber Surefex. 

All Bilt Hamber products seem to be good eg. Clay bars etc.  

You can get it on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Surfex-HD-Litre/dp/B007FR41D8/ref=sr_1_6?crid=IC86KI0WLWCF&dchild=1&keywords=bilt+hamber+surfex+hd&qid=1584388432&sprefix=Bilt+hamber+su%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-6

My underside was completely black - this turned it back to white (the cars colour). 

does anyone use or recommend one of those underbody pressure spray attachments? ie you slide it under the car on a dolley and it blasts upwards. I tried to buy the Karcher attachment but it was un-available everywhere. Have seen other knock-offs on ebay/internet.  Just thought it would be useful to anti-salt after a winter run.

7 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

does anyone use or recommend one of those underbody pressure spray attachments? ie you slide it under the car on a dolley and it blasts upwards. I tried to buy the Karcher attachment but it was un-available everywhere. Have seen other knock-offs on ebay/internet.  Just thought it would be useful to anti-salt after a winter run.

Yup, I have one Mark. The one on wheels with 4 nozzles point up. Its great but on low cars it won't fit under. You need to take the wheels off it. Would have been ideal with side mounted wheels. I bought the quick fit version then a Karcher to Quick fit adapter. About a fiver on eBay. Got a shiny bottom now. Who needs bog roll! 

3 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Someone suggested that to stop the rusty disc look after washing. Think I’ll try it. Maybe pump some through a jet washer through the suction bottle and the under chassis washer

I think it also works across the whole chassis

On my last Spain trip, we came back on the truck ferry and my car got stuck outside/uncovered and predictably was covered in salt.  When I got home it was jet wash etc and in order to do the underside, I just drove onto 4x2 blocks and then stuck the garden sprinkler underneath and moved it around a bit.  It uses a bit more water and takes time but you get thoroughly de-salted and clean in the end.

Just now, MarkJ said:

why is the before and after picture so rubbish in their advert? :lol: doesn't look any better!

do these give out good pressure?

To be honest, because its 4 nozzles, its unlike a regular single jet on your pressure washer. They form a curtain of water and each nozzle receives a quarter of the normal pressure (go figure lol). There's pressure there but its not like the single high power jet.

Its more about washing off crud and salt already wet. Its a lot more directed and powerful when compared to a sprinkler I'd say. Shoots a series of jets about 6ft high. Its not going to give you a pristine bottom Mark. It might do if you cleaned the underside to within an inch of its life to start off with and then used it after every drive or two I guess. I use it on Daisy after every drive and I'd eat my dinner off that car lol 

I put my car up on axel stands, applied my cleaning product using my garden weed killer pressure sprayer, gave the worst areas a bit of a scrub and then pressure washed off. Brilliant results. I got soaking wet and covered in crap, but really enjoyed it.

Then, to ensure car dried completely, I placed a vertical fan in a horizontal position at the back of the car in the garage. This worked really well and I have kept it going to ensure a constant movement of air. 

i've got a good de-humidifier in the garage to dry off the car. Amazed the amount of water that soaks up despite everything looking dry! 

Not fussed about pristine underside, its literally just to blast the salt out of the nooks and crannies underneath better than I can manage with a normal karcher. 

17 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

its literally just to blast the salt into... the nooks and crannies underneath better than I can manage with a normal karcher. 

EFA :morning: