Another oil thread - Valvoline VR1

I, like many I guess, come here for a car fix. So no virus talk. Oil. Good old oil. 
Thinking of making best use of “any time” we might all have and getting some oil to service cars. 
I’ve heard mention of Valvoline VR1 amongst others. High zinc etc. This is for non modified bog standard porkers admittedly driven spiritedly. 
What’s the consensus? Where’s best to get? Go......

Sorry I can not comment on oil, my shrink has advised against it since I started stalking oil refineries.......for the Creator of VR1, he is almighty, our saviour....ops white straight jacket men are back......

23 hours ago, longman said:

I used 20/50 Millers semi syn Pistoneeze in mine ,  still went like stink and didn't blow up.., tins look good too 😆

Changed to this last year, and consumption has reduced, whilst no discernible change of performance. So gets a 👍from me.

Just now, SP72 said:

Go for their Motul 4100 15w50 instead

Have 15l of VR1 arriving tomorrow. Bit of a project as replacing the wheel arch thermostat too. Checking head stud bolts. My first major IB service. Done minors before. 

On 3/18/2020 at 10:22 PM, longman said:

What oil should I get for my new car ? I’ve not bought it yet and I don’t know what it will be ..  🤪

Seems like a good approach to narrow down choice of  new car - choose a sexy oil and then find a car that needs it!

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Talking of oils, running in oils. What were you advised to use @SP72 @Beaky

I left this to the garage to decide, but from what I was told any good mineral oil (needs to have a certain level of  abrasiveness) to help bed in the rings.

3 hours ago, topcarrera said:

Seems like a good approach to narrow down choice of  new car - choose a sexy oil and then find a car that needs it!

Lol I'm going for Shirish's first Motul oil and a 1:One 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-77374-millers-oils-classic-sport-high-performance-20w-50-fully-synthetic-engine-oil-with-nanotechnology.aspx

This is what went in mine last time I serviced.  I am pleased to report that for considering it's a fully synth, it doesn't leak like a sieve :D

• 2 months later...

Took Scarlett for a blast today (essential supplies trip in wales). First time since the valve adjust. All drove fine. Sealed exhaust sounds much better. 
One thing. Valvoline vr1. My oil pressure has dropped. Was never indicating at the top of the dial gauge with my old 10/40 shell helix but it’s dropped significantly using the 20/50 vr1. Anything to worry about? Switch back? Could it just be my oil pressure sender (but why the drop?). Temperature good, level good etc . Hmm 🤔 

1DA8CAD5-7832-468E-86C7-8EA706CF5DE0.jpeg

Edited by Busybee

Weird right. Nothing else but the gauge gives any indication of a reduced pressure. What could it be? Guess the pressure sender (which looks as old as the ark to be fair) could be a good place to start. Is there a way of testing pressure independently? Nothing else has changed. Fresh filter, oil. Valves sound lovely now. No tappety tappety. Pulls better than ever. 

I had low pressure reading, ended up being an electrical issue, alternator wasn’t charging correctly but no warning lights etc.

At the same time my temp gauge would read slightly higher, but once a new alternator Fitted all back to normal.

so have your electric s checked first