New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

Beaky

Social Isolation IB Projects

As part of my stay at home and away from people meant I had time to self isolate in the garage and fitted my Blauounkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB BT.

I took it for a good 90 minute drive around town last night and so far reception and sound quality on Dab & FM channels has been very good. As mentioned in the other thread the unit is 3-4 cm shorter than a standard single DIn unit as it does not need to cater for a CD, so plenty of room behind to tidy those wires.

No photo description available.

Day two, so today I've fitted the Rennline Exacfit phone holder.

The biggest challenge as always with the dash was getting the dial out, but managed it with a little help from those plastic interior lever tools. Looks good and perfect for the phones. 

image.thumb.png.b72c8d1731f3c23844921f7a4e6dd6f5.png

nice job Beaky, both fit right in :signs118:  how much did the Bremen set you back? I had a more modern DAB fitted a few years ago and though its not a ghastly one, it still doesn't look 'period' like that Bremen.  Mind you I don't hardly use the hi-fi in it anymore anyway as I cant hear it over the cacophony from the rear :P

I was just thinking that the Rennline phone mount looks good but looking to see how much they cost I found it's £71!

Ouch.

1 hour ago, MarkJ said:

nice job Beaky, both fit right in :signs118:  how much did the Bremen set you back? I had a more modern DAB fitted a few years ago and though its not a ghastly one, it still doesn't look 'period' like that Bremen.  Mind you I don't hardly use the hi-fi in it anymore anyway as I cant hear it over the cacophony from the rear :P

The Bremen was £372.76 from Amazon, and matched up to my JBL's the sound is

34 minutes ago, Chris_911 said:

I was just thinking that the Rennline phone mount looks good but looking to see how much they cost I found it's £71!

Ouch.

Expensive but worth it if you use your phone as a Sat Nav and music, places it within easy reach and visibility.  

Beaky, have you had to stick something to the back of your phone for the magnet to adhere to. If so, can you still utilise a phone cover.

8 minutes ago, swift911 said:

Beaky, have you had to stick something to the back of your phone for the magnet to adhere to. If so, can you still utilise a phone cover.

Yes and Yes, it comes with a very thin flat metal self adhesive plate that you can stick on the case. I'm using a similar holder on anther car so alreday have as plate on my case.

The only down side is that is stops the phones magnetic charge ability whilst the case is on, but slip the case off and its fine. 

Thanks for that. Don't think my phone charges without plugging in, so no bother. Anyway, once my wife saw a new 3 piece suite with USB ports in the side, that was it.... And I thought I liked gadgets, she's worse.

IMG_5062.jpg

Good thread idea. 

I’ve just received a load of Rennline stuff.  The phone holder had imperial allen keys which has snookered me for now! Amazon to the rescue.  They look nicely made though. 

I’ve also got few parts with the painters and need to fit my under tray and a nice alloy strut brace.  Here’s a question, can you unbolt the two top mount bolts without the top mount moving? 

My kids are really into Hot Wheels, so we’re starting down the customisation route for something to do - on eBay I found a guy selling 3D printed Fuchs, so had to invest in some sets “for the kids”... 😂

I see there’s some optimistic soul on ebay offering an ancient SQR Toronto for £899!

Ok folks, once completed, show us and comment on those IB jobs we all have been putting off 

I may finally get round to fitting my CDI+ gizmo thats been sat on the shelf for some time - and maybe wash it too.

1 hour ago, Lesworth said:

I may finally get round to fitting my CDI+ gizmo thats been sat on the shelf for some time - and maybe wash it too.

Photographic evidence 😉

Not the IB, but spending a bit more time working to get the kit car progressed.

1 minute ago, Fuchs915 said:

Not the IB, but spending a bit more time working to get the kit car progressed.

Cool, send photos anyway 👍

On 3/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, Northy said:

Good thread idea. 

I’ve just received a load of Rennline stuff.  The phone holder had imperial allen keys which has snookered me for now! Amazon to the rescue.  They look nicely made though. 

I’ve also got few parts with the painters and need to fit my under tray and a nice alloy strut brace.  Here’s a question, can you unbolt the two top mount bolts without the top mount moving? 

My kids are really into Hot Wheels, so we’re starting down the customisation route for something to do - on eBay I found a guy selling 3D printed Fuchs, so had to invest in some sets “for the kids”... 😂

I was fitting a new rennline strut brace the other day too... Top mounts moved and I couldn't stop them, so that'll be my alignment out. I could do with raising the car slightly anyway, so probably not a bad thing to force me to address getting alignment redone.  Would you not need to get alignment redone after fitting a brace anyway? 

1 hour ago, Sidewaysfun said:

I was fitting a new rennline strut brace the other day too... Top mounts moved and I couldn't stop them, so that'll be my alignment out. I could do with raising the car slightly anyway, so probably not a bad thing to force me to address getting alignment redone.  Would you not need to get alignment redone after fitting a brace anyway? 

Urgh. Thanks for the update. Having dropped not far off a grand on alignment last year I’m pretty reluctant to spend any more on that right now.

It will have to wait for a bit. 

I’m a useless spannerist, so nothing too grand by me...

New knob fitted, replacing a horrible aftermarket thing that’s been on there for 11 years. Fitted IB grille badge - I got 1 of the 2 that appeared at an Oxfam shop in Carmarthen!

And have had a good tidy up in the garage to give me space to escape teenagers, who we weren’t expecting to have at home!!!

340F94E4-3882-4294-BEE0-3BA746A3B0C2.jpeg

FC4A93AB-1608-4AF3-8386-12E01767EA7A.jpeg

E26EDC40-EFA3-4480-ADBC-28D5EFED5A72.jpeg

Posted (edited)

:signs118:

Carmarthen!, I remember spending a very drunken weeknd there with a fellow student from Camarthen. If memory serves he right, on Sunday morning we had to drive into the next county to drink due to licensing laws. 

He was called Dai, his mate was Dai Milk (locak milkman), and he had another mate called Dai Hearse - he didn't work in a funneral directers, but drove a Hearse so not to get stopped by the police!

This must have been a good 40 yaers ago mine!

Edited by Beaky

My parents lived a few miles West and ‘in the countryside’ from Carmarthen.  Our nearest pub was someone’s front room.  You had to knock on the door before going in - the dartboard was hung on the other side.  The next nearest pub - one bar shut an hour before the second, and didn’t open on a Sunday (pub day astride a boundary line of some description).

Tomorrow I'm going to clean the car, today I went on a good spin to add more dirt to it!  I was alone and running an errand

Ordered a new master cylinder and fluid so will be swapping that out some time next week. And fit my solid state DME relay that  turned up last week. Thanks Felix 👍

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Ordered a new master cylinder and fluid so will be swapping that out some time next week. And fit my solid state DME relay that  turned up last week. Thanks Felix 👍

Did you go std master cylinder or upgrade to a Turbo one?

2 hours ago, Beaky said:

Tomorrow I'm going to clean the car, today I went on a good spin to add more dirt to it!  I was alone and running an errand

Bet errand running solo and in a porker will be pretty common this weekend 

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Bet errand running solo and in a porker will be pretty common this weekend 

Yep. Thinking about doing the weekly shop in mine tomorrow. 😉