Social Isolation IB Projects

Beaky

2 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Good luck with the handbrake :banghead: I took mine to GCR to finish.

Thanks for that.

It was with a certain degree of foreboding that I bought the parts....

4 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

I knew *what* to do: just couldn’t get all the bits to line up all at the same time..

Well if Chris managers it, we need a detail write up for further reference 😉

1 hour ago, carreracat said:

Having a garage clear our to make room for an indoor trainer and came across this lovely thing.  Just need to build an IB hot rod to fit it to now!

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-04 at 14.09.28.jpeg

Never seen one like that before, where/what is the history?

Another social isolation odd job has been fitting some power outlets in the dash, for the various gadgets I use from time to time.  From left to right, I now have two 5v outlets (the second of which is a retractable lead, rather than a socket) and a 12v outlet.

DSC_6915r.JPG

They've taken the place of the brake warning light thingy, which I never found very valuable, so I'm moving it to a new location.

And they fit very nicely there!

13 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Another social isolation odd job has been fitting some power outlets in the dash, for the various gadgets I use from time to time.  From left to right, I now have two 5v outlets (the second of which is a retractable lead, rather than a socket) and a 12v outlet.

DSC_6915r.JPG

They've taken the place of the brake warning light thingy, which I never found very valuable, so I'm moving it to a new location.

And they fit very nicely there!

That's a good idea. My warning light is basically just there to look nice these days too.

Please can you stick some details up of the replacement box of tricks 👍

Bit of a cheaty one this because I didn't actually do it but in case anyone is bored at home and isn't firing up the BBQ.

If you are running a VDO or Continental head unit (as many of us are because they don't look out of place inside an IB) but the knobs are a bit shiny blingy chrome.

You can just pop the knobs off, disassemble & give them a once over with some satin black & refit. Photo's are a bit rubbish but it is a small detail Which is an improvement. 

I did say, you'd have to be bored!!

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

Edited by ALEX P

1 hour ago, ALEX P said:

That's a good idea. My warning light is basically just there to look nice these days too.

Please can you stick some details up of the replacement box of tricks 👍

It's actually three separate items, all modified.  The left-hand one is a 5v USB outlet sold for motorcycles.  I bought it because it looked roughly the right dimensions, which it turned out to be.  I had to cut off the 'waterproof' cap and trim it a little bit ... but then just wired it into Fuse 13 (counting from the front of the fuseboard - it's a 25A fuse that powers the cigarette lighter).  The middle one is the cable that came with a GPS speedo that I bought with our Alpine Tour in mind (switchable mph-kph) and the right hand one is a standard RJ11 adaptor, filed down to fit the aperture.

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

Thinking of fitting one of these in daisy. Have a gap to the right of the light switch so was thinking a little cf panel and mount this above my phone holder. Little cable, job done 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293155190556

I installed a voltmeter and twin USB in the centre console. Had the front/rear fader that wasn’t being used, so removed that, a bit of dremel work, a bit or wiring and all good. 

isolation jobs: fit some new inner window scraper seals (parts ordered), sort out cold hunting and backfire, triangle of death and oil cooler leak. 

Fitted a Stomski Racing coupler to the SC today to try and pass the time, only took 20 minutes though! Nice smooth change now, it will be even better when I add the Rennshift next week!

20200405_160343.jpg

Still have these on special IB offer of £180 delivered!

Edited by Type911

8 hours ago, Chris T said:

And you, Alex are clearly bored....!!

Yep. But then the garden swingball championships started, I took my beaten up old mountain bike out for a few miles of responsible self-isolating exercise and subsequently treated myself to a bbq, some beers and a bit of mild sunburn so all in all, not a bad Sunday :)

Funnily enough I do have a fairly good new intake & ECU project that I'm in the middle of on the Porsche but I keep stalling/losing motivation. I used to tell myself that I didn't want the car to be off the road so I was avoiding any downtime but now I'm telling myself that there is no point because I can't use the car anyway! I think it must boil down to plain laziness.

1 hour ago, ALEX P said:

Yep. But then the garden swingball championships started, I took my beaten up old mountain bike out for a few miles of responsible self-isolating exercise and subsequently treated myself to a bbq, some beers and a bit of mild sunburn so all in all, not a bad Sunday :)

Funnily enough I do have a fairly good new intake & ECU project that I'm in the middle of on the Porsche but I keep stalling/losing motivation. I used to tell myself that I didn't want the car to be off the road so I was avoiding any downtime but now I'm telling myself that there is no point because I can't use the car anyway! I think it must boil down to plain laziness.

Get it done mate. Is it one if Robs setups? If it is he's done all the legwork for you.

22 minutes ago, PorscheApostle said:

Get it done mate. Is it one if Robs setups? If it is he's done all the legwork for you.

Yep, a good chunk of it is hand-me-down but there is still some figuring out to do especially around the vacuum lines.

I really would like to put new engine fuel lines in there when I do the change over so I don't end up 'Rock-ing' it! I'm still in two minds whether to go for the aftermarket ones from the US as I haven't got the full set from my new setup to re-hose.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/MASK2.htm?pn=MAS-K2&SVSVSI=0841&DID=167959

What's your take on the lines DBS? Worth the money? Someone like 9M charges about the same ££ to he-hose and re-plate your existing lines as those. I would probably do it myself but don't have the full set so may be easiest to just buy new.

Finally, half of the bits are still at Robs and grabbing Porsche go-faster goodies off a mate isn't strictly speaking essential travel right now so I think it's only right to play it by the book.

Boom. Who said I've got no more excuses!